Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights options

Linas.P

I believe we had multiple threads about different options so sorry for starting it all over. However, I wanted to create single one where we have a list of recommended bulbs for each application.

To begin with making a clear distinction between 2 options. As we all know there are HID/Xenon set-up and Halogen set-up. High beam and parking lights would be the same, but the Main beam cannot be more different.

2 main criteria are Colour and Light output (strength):

So the light output is calculated in Lumens (lm) and the higher the better, here is where I guess many people get it confused with colour and latter is not "the higher is the better.

Colour is represented by kelvins and the "higher is the bluer", quick introduction into Kelvin rating as well:

colortemp.jpg

Based on the scale above Halogens are in the range between 2500-4500. I believe standard Lexus ones were 4300k giving nice white colour though quite weak (in lm). Anything below 3000k I consider vintage or fog. Not sure about Lexus parking/side lights, but they are same for both types, yellowish ~3000k. High beam is the same for both cars again, I believe it to be similar temp as HID/Xenon ~ 5500K. This is as well around the range I prefer - I don't really like anything above 6000K aka blue light (or aka cheap xenon/LED kits). As well I have adjustable video light with 3200K to 6500K range. I personally found that ~5300K is perfect for my taste, so I guess anything between 5000-5500k would be ok.

Xenon/HID Recommendation:

High beam (standard 5500K/~?lm) - I believe it is HB3 are there any LED options? It seems that best HB3 bulb I can find is ~1700/1800lm which is fairly weak.

Main beam D2S (standard 5500k/~2400lm) - Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE (sounds scary blue, but it is actually 5500k), Cool Blue is as well rated at 3200lm whilst "Night Breakers" and "Long Life" are both rated 2800lm and colour is 4350k (kind of towards yellow at least on paper). There are as well Phillips Xenon White vision ~ price range £65-85

Side light T10 - PHILIPS XTREME VISION 360 LED T10, there are 4000/6000/8000k versions ~£13-17

Halogen Recommendation:

(LED/Xenon conversion kits are illegal to use in UK due to "construction and use" and therefore I would like to avoid recommending any of these).

High beam (standard 5500K/~?lm) -  I believe it is HB3 are there any LED options?

Main beam - I believe it is H7 , what are the best options?

Side light T10 - PHILIPS XTREME VISION 360 LED T10, there are 4000/6000/8000k versions ~£13-17

I am not sure if I am going to be able to edit an original post due to changes in forum, but I guess I will summarise suggestion in a new post.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Changed all light builbs today, my choice was:

• Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE for "dipped" beam (6000k) £42 (~80 normally).
  • Osram COOL BLUE INTENSE for "main" beam (4200k) £11
  • Osram LED Premium Cool White for "side" lights (6000k) £9

20170729_223211.thumb.jpg.df9030e5b9e4ff415e04aa9188c7fcd0.jpg

Now it might be obvious to somebody who changed the bulbs before, but if that is first time you will need to go prepared: gloves, 10mm socket, long extension, ratchet. You will need to remove airbox for access to drivers side HID and windshield washer filler pipe on the passenger's side.

Here are some before shots.

Side + dipped (this one was already getting bit pink):

597d286e078d6_20170729_220311oldmbandside.thumb.jpg.024288df31c81cbc4252b44301cbf0e3.jpg

Main beam:

597d286ec1eb4_20170729_220352-oldhb.thumb.jpg.4c35b31f803ae0624c2f39759398b100.jpg

Here are after shots.

Side:

597d287256640_20170729_225541newside.thumb.jpg.5a480bf665e6618c003fcc75806effe2.jpg

Main + dipped:

597d28732bd92_20170729_225653newhb.thumb.jpg.8d5c28835882c4a0c21d901182b5690d.jpg

Here are side lights side-by-side:

597d28719b2e7_20170729_225530oldvsnewside.thumb.jpg.1df7328e7ce7e57d4c1a39d6c2ee5157.jpg

Now my conclusion is that side lights (Osram LEDs) are definitely an upgrade - cheap, maintenance free, matches perfectly with HIDs. To my surprise the HID on the drivers side (the one going pink) was already Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE, whereas on passengers side it was still original one. My guess is that previous owner or dealer has replaced failed HID with random used bulb which happened to be Osram, I have seen slight difference from the beginning, but was not sure if that is because of build or lenses etc. Overall, XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE is great replacement, but not day and night difference. Finally, I was a little bit foolish with COOL BLUE INTENSE main beam - even though it stated "HID/Xenon" looks it was 4200k. It is definitely better than standard bulb and actually the colour difference it is hard to tell, but it is definitely not perfect match. Next time I might replace it with LED, but for now it at least looks better than old ones:

597d28732bd92_20170729_225653newhb.thumb.jpg.8d5c28835882c4a0c21d901182b5690d.jpg597d286ec1eb4_20170729_220352-oldhb.thumb.jpg.4c35b31f803ae0624c2f39759398b100.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is great, to clarify I have a IS250 SEL with the HID lights that have AFL and washer jets.  I think they are ok... as standard but your telling me I can whip another bulb and have even better headlights?  I thought you couldn't change them?

You certainly can. It is slightly awkward and you would need to remove your air filter box on driver side and washer fluid tube on another to access latches. Some common sense is needed - obviously don't try changing them when ON as it is potentially 80000 volts spark coming out of blasts.

Slight update on new bulbs - I am very impressed, keep checking if I am not driving with High (main) beam ON. As I always drive with headlight on (habit from EU) I can see significant difference even during the day e.g. when going under the bridge or even stopping behind another car. It is not that much colour of the lights, but the amount of light coming out is really impressive. Would certainly recommend Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE for "dipped" beam (6000k) and Osram LED Premium Cool White for "side" lights (6000k). I can now clearly see my side lights reflecting on other cars, which equally means that they are visible for other even if I am not driving with "dipped" beam ON, I guess sidelights are even bigger improvement over OE, than dipped one.

You mean - "are they HIDs?". Yes everything suggest they are: SE-L, Headlight washers, AFS. From what I can see you lights already looks quite bright - not sure if you can improve them much, so just set your expectations.

What would be cheapest and easiest upgrade for you - parking lights and main beam. Maybe you can as well find something 6000k for main to get better results than I did.

Here are links to the specific parts I have bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UCVGK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OGS4K30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I798TKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (now they are £6.99 !!!!!)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am looking to change my bulbs too, as the left side projector light keeps flickering.

So to be sure which bulbs i need to change could you please confirm these are right.

High beam (Projector light)  -  HB3 bulb?

Dipped beam (Projector light) - D4S HID bulb?

Side light T10 - T10 bulb?

Thanks

Hi thanks for posting this update on bulbs . I was currently looking at updating the dipped beam D4S as I am not particularly impressed with the dipped lights but I find main beam OK      Are you saying the standard dipped bulb is 4200 ,if so I will replace them with the 6000 you have used    

Dave

I have now bought all the necessary bulbs after a bit of research online.

Dipped Beam - OSRAM Intense Xenarc Cool Blue D4S Xenon HID 5500K for £30 ( Half the price of Osram Xenarc Cool Blue Intense D4S which is about £80 )

Side lights - OSRAM Cool Blue Intense 4000K for £6

Main Beam (High beam) - Found an OSRAM Cool Blue Boost HB3 5000K ( But these are not road legal and are only for off road use ) The reason most bulbs are 4200K are they are road legal, any higher then that, then they can only be used off road. So i got the OSRAM Cool Blue Intense 42000K

Hope that helps

More about road legal bulbs :

What makes a bulb non-road legal?

When it comes to the legality of halogen car bulbs, it is the Kelvin rating (K) that really matters. Any halogen bulb with a Kelvin rating over 4200K is not legal for road use, and should only be used off-road.

This is because bulbs begin to produce a light with a slight blue tint when they reach a colour temperature of around 4200K. Blue bulbs are used by the emergency services and therefore need to stand out on the road against other drivers. If everyone had blue-tinted headlights, the emergency vehicles might struggle to be spotted by traffic which could potentially cause many problems.

On 12/6/2017 at 5:17 PM, true blue said:

Are you saying the standard dipped bulb is 4200 ,if so I will replace them with the 6000 you have used   

Yes OE HID's were 4300k... 6000k seems to be the brightest white you can get without getting into fake "blue" xenons territory. I cannot complain about dipped beam illumination - maybe you need to polish your light (outer) lenses? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbullhead

Old topic I know but I think my hid bulbs D4S have been in the car from the beginning. The  question is does the light wear out and could I get a more whiter bulb as an replacement and finally what are the best replacement 

Mine were original as well when replaced. The reason for replacement was that driver side bulb went purple (which is the answer to your question does the light "wear out" - yes it turns purple before the death) and started flicking from time to time (the final part of slow death).

And the second part is already answered, best colour to get is 5500-6000k (which is non-blue white) and I can recommend you getting Osram XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE (especially if you can get them discounted). They are not that much whiter, but the amount of light (lumens) really feels... as I drive with dipped on 24/7 it felt like I was on main beam before I get used to it after replacement. Just don't make mistake with main beam as I did. Other cheap improvement are LED side lights,,,