Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy Clutch

Lee-xus

Hi all! I have just brought 58 220 with 50k on clock.

please let me know how 'normal the following noises are.

A)Engine off: clutch pedal squeaks when depressed

B) whirring when depressing clutch in 1st gear

C) whirring/ chattering change up from 2nd to 3rd 

no other unshakable noises to note so far! 

Love the car car but noises got me worried. I hear on hear that other had the same noises. Any advice or experience with yours greatly appriecated! 

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Isn't that release bearing? 

GSIC - Global Service Information Center.pdf

Sorry just realised above is not really telling, it shows how to dissemble for inspection.

Looking at service manual for "CLUTCH SYSTEM (for 2AD-FHV) > PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE" your symptoms seems to refer to "Clutch noisy":

1. Clutch release bearing assembly (Worn, dirty, or damaged)
2. Clutch disc torsion rubber (Damaged)

On 01/07/2017 at 2:22 PM, Linas.P said:

Sorry just realised above is not really telling, it shows how to dissemble for inspection.

Looking at service manual for "CLUTCH SYSTEM (for 2AD-FHV) > PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE" your symptoms seems to refer to "Clutch noisy":

1. Clutch release bearing assembly (Worn, dirty, or damaged)
2. Clutch disc torsion rubber (Damaged)

Hi Linas, if my fault is that can it fixed? Or do you need other parts too? 

It depends what exactly is the issue, without even looking to service manual I would assume that would have been something related to release bearing, as well maybe clutch master cylinder (which is not mentioned in the manual)... It can be as simple as some mechanical parts needing some lubrication, or some seal in need to replacement, which would be cheap and quick. These are just pointers, but you would need to investigate yourself or ask mechanic to investigate for you.

If you question is - whenever that is serious issue and expensive to fix? I would say no - that is a type of standard issue on car with manual gearbox, not something to worry about.

I would wait for somebody like @Shahpor to bring his expertise here.... 

You rang? :smile:

As for the first one, is it a simple case of a squeak from the pedal?  If so, get under there and lube it up. :smile:  Although, interestingly the 220d has the master cylinder directly attached to the pedal on the inside of the car.  Have a look at this:

pedal.thumb.jpg.f2b80141993ea647e3bac4182744adbb.jpg

As you can see, a couple of springs and pins that may require greasing.

For the others, are there any noises when the clutch isn't engaged and you are moving?

If the noise only happens when you depress the clutch, then I agree with Linas, it is most likely the release bearing that is at fault.

Perhaps you could post a video of the car making the noise?

Unfortunately, in the majority of clutch issues, you are going to have to get to it, which means removing the gearbox.  At this point, it is almost irrelevant what the fault is because you might as well replace the complete clutch assembly since it is not worth putting worn parts back in if a specific part has failed.

• Like 1

Cheers, it's due at the garage at on the 12th. Will try and record the   Noise and post. 

The pedal has since stopped sqeaking...however lots of noise from 1st to 3rd but only changing up. The gear stick now has a slight rattle in gear, The noises during uo shifts are like on a video posted on here before by someone else.

The louder noise when the clutch not depressed seems more appearant after a run. 

Hope it is just the clutch and not fly wheel 😩

this is the sound 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

So I wan't that far off... Did you find above in service manual? Somehow, I haven't seen this ... probably need to get glasses. 

The manual isn't the most intuitive of things.

You can find the pictures if you look under Transmission - Clutch - Clutch Pedal - Components.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

The manual isn't the most intuitive of things.

You can find the pictures if you look under Transmission - Clutch - Clutch Pedal - Components.

That is especially true if you looking at HTML page ripped from CD.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee-xus said:

Cheers, it's due at the garage at on the 12th. Will try and record the   Noise and post. 

The pedal has since stopped sqeaking...however lots of noise from 1st to 3rd but only changing up. The gear stick now has a slight rattle in gear, The noises during uo shifts are like on a video posted on here before by someone else.

The louder noise when the clutch not depressed seems more appearant after a run. 

Hope it is just the clutch and not fly wheel 😩

Well, that is a slightly worse sound than I was expecting.

I'm sorry, I might have misunderstood, but did you say it also rattles when you are driving along without the clutch pressed?

Still sounds like maybe a release bearing, or maybe the input shaft of the gearbox.

It certainly doesn't sound like a typical flywheel failure, and usually a worn flywheel is associated with some sort of vibration/judder when moving off from a standstill.

Either way, if you want to get to the bottom of this, I suspect the gearbox will have to come out, so all of the above can be determined when it is removed.  Hopefully it is just the clutch like you say.

• Like 1

No the noise is only audible through gears 1-3. 

The engine however is really noiseystationary after a 20 mile run however returns to the standard Lexus 220d tick over with the clutch depressed. 

Thanks really appreciate your responses! Helps me sleep better lol!! What ever it is still want to keep the car, I thought my Stype was comfy but surpasses it for comfort, half wish I brought the petrol though although mpg scared me right off! 

• Like 1

Well, perhaps you could get a video of the noise after the 20 mile run and we can see how it sounds with the clutch depressed?

Sorry about not being more definitive, but it is hard to diagnose sounds on forums sometimes.

Hopefully yours will be fixed quickly and cheaply. :smile: 

• Like 1

Ok, so it appears that a lot of car do make this sound!

Is it from the front/middle of the car?  If so, then it sounds like a clutch problem.

However, one thing to note here is that when you press the clutch you are taking load off the gearbox, so it is possibly a bearing in the input shaft of the box as well.

Lastly, it may be the flywheel, but as I have already said, it would most likely to it the other way round as well - as in when you let the clutch out.

So, since you have the remove the gearbox to get to the clutch, you are quite likely to find the problem without having the spend any addition labour time whether it is the clutch or not.

But, at this point, what I would suggest is to leave it.  As long as the car isn't juddering/shuddering and the clutch isn't slipping, it is likely to work fine until the problem gets worse.  When it gets worse, it should also make it easier to pinpoint the problem as well.  Also, if it turns out not to be the clutch, then it would be a good idea to change it anyway if the gearbox is out, so it would be handy if it is worn out beforehand. :smile:

Turn the stereo up (or hum loudly) and pretend it isn't there. :smile:

Cheers Shahpor!

the noise definitely from the front of the car, I am still taking in the garage next week  but perhaps it's just something I may have to live with! 

I have new noise as well in 5th the there is a sweak when you touch the gear stick!

i not sure why I like the car so much as Im so suprised that these luxury compacts have such a clunky gear box! 

like you and my wife keeps telling to the turn the radio on and ignore it!! Lol

i will let you know what the garage says next week! 

Just to say to the noise during is definitely when the clutch goes down so my fears of flywheel have somewhat ease my concerns thanks to you taking the time to reply!! It so appriecated!