Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In the end, a simple dilemma

8 minutes ago, chris_fletcher said:

Just bought an RX450H F Sport today and drove it away. Briliant but it is HUGE

Congrats on your purchase Chris.

Yes, the initial perception is that the vehicle is huge, in fact not a lot wider or longer than my old IS250C, just feels it because of its sheer volume.  You get used to it very quickly.  Is yours the Gen3 like mine ?  The Gen4 is a bit longer I believe.

Enjoy your new motor, I'm really enjoying mine, Gen4 on the horizon in a couple of years time methinks.

Hi Steve,

Its a Gen4 and i know its deceptive. Width isnt the main thing. Its the sheer bulk, its very high and the bonnet level is high too. I think I am going to need step ladders to put the mountin bikes on the roof bars

I do agree Chris, i drove one for 1 day as a loaner when my IS was in service and the sheer size of the car can be intimidating.

However, when i drove it it felt smaller than it was the car seems to shrink around you and especially in town where it was rapid from corner to corner and i found the drivetrain just great with the Emotor giving max torque from stand still and the smooth 6 kicking in when needed. A Really Quick Car mind you.

Maybe a car is like a house, it can never be too big?   

I agree on all counts. I think I will miss my old IS, it was a great car and I was not entirely sure I wanted to get rid of it as it was less than 3 years old but I have wanted another RX since my RX300. The gen 4 is definitely bigger but  love it. Hopefully I will be able to average ~35mpg on my commute vs the IS`s 42

24 minutes ago, chris_fletcher said:

I agree on all counts. I think I will miss my old IS, it was a great car and I was not entirely sure I wanted to get rid of it as it was less than 3 years old but I have wanted another RX since my RX300. The gen 4 is definitely bigger but  love it. Hopefully I will be able to average ~35mpg on my commute vs the IS`s 42

It's absolutely massive. I'm still not used to it yet.

Problem is that you cant see any of the extremities likes in the 3RX and the wheelbase is much longer so it behaves very differently in tight turning.

The pillars of my driveway have 3 feet on either side of the RX and I always find myself a foot from the closest pillar unlike the 3RX. It's turning circle is definitely worse.

4 hours ago, Alps_RX said:

Great write up Rayaans and a lovely looking car you've got there!

I get my hands on my 4RX on 21/07 - going to be longest 7 days ever!

Thats only a week! 

I waited 2 weeks for mine!

I paid for mine and drove it away on the same day. Test drive, paperwork and payment done and dusted in 2 hours.

Only one small niggle. I have a tiny rattle/vibration from somewhere on or around the drivers door but I cant pinpoint it. Apart from that I am well pleased.

Rayaans. Thanks for your advice and encouragement, just hope you dont bump in to my wife as she will probably kill you lol

6 minutes ago, chris_fletcher said:

I paid for mine and drove it away on the same day. Test drive, paperwork and payment done and dusted in 2 hours.

Only one small niggle. I have a tiny rattle/vibration from somewhere on or around the drivers door but I cant pinpoint it. Apart from that I am well pleased.

Rayaans. Thanks for your advice and encouragement, just hope you dont bump in to my wife as she will probably kill you lol

Most likely the B pillar 

Mine is dead silent luckily apart from when the boot cover is left free to bob up and down (in that respect its worse than the 3RX)

Just now, chris_fletcher said:

is it possible to turn the sound generator off in the F Sport as you could in the IS?

Dont think so

But mine must not be working as I can't really hear anything different to my 3RX. It sounds the same! That either means they've done a good job or Im missing something lol

Thanks for the tip on the B pillar. I will try to work out if it is that but may just take it in to a dealer as and see if they can sort it out. I am going to apply silicone oil to all the rubber door seals as that made a big difference in the IS

Same with me, I hadnt thought anything of it until I just read a review that said it was included. I can hear the engine growl a bit if you accelerate moderately but its not that bad but if it were silent-ish I would prefer that, I like quiet

1 minute ago, chris_fletcher said:

Same with me, I hadnt thought anything of it until I just read a review that said it was included. I can hear the engine growl a bit if you accelerate moderately but its not that bad but if it were silent-ish I would prefer that, I like quiet

Its a bit difficult to make a silent 3.5l V6 though!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome writeup rayaans and, may I say, a good choice. Sharp looking car the current NX. I especially like the detailing behind the side rear window. I have experience of Lexus Cheltenham and they always offer low part-ex prices. Probably a Listers policy I always thought

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Matériel Laboratoire Dentaire | Nettoyeur ultrasons

• Like 1

Is the 4RX really that much bigger than the 3RX?  I know that it is a bit longer, but the specs suggest there's not much difference except the newer one's length is the biggest increase:

3RX:

Wheelbase:  2.74m

Width:  1.885m

Length:  4.77m

4RX:

Wheelbase:  2.79m  (+2 inches)

Width:  1.895m (0.4 inches)

Length:  4.89m (5 inches)

I guess with extra length, a different steering set up and a different cabin design with a few more blind spots, it's going to feel quite different.   I like both the 3 and 4RX.  I think that most in the market would be very happy with either.

23 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Is the 4RX really that much bigger than the 3RX?  I know that it is a bit longer, but the specs suggest there's not much difference except the newer one's length is the biggest increase:

3RX:

Wheelbase:  2.74m

Width:  1.885m

Length:  4.77m

4RX:

Wheelbase:  2.79m  (+2 inches)

Width:  1.895m (0.4 inches)

Length:  4.89m (5 inches)

I guess with extra length, a different steering set up and a different cabin design with a few more blind spots, it's going to feel quite different.   I like both the 3 and 4RX.  I think that most in the market would be very happy with either.

In the grand scheme of things, no, the 4RX is not much bigger. TBH it's no wider anyway.

Having said that, it feels different. I think this may be due to the longer wheelbase and overall length so turning into tight spaces can be a double take. 

Also, the nose is much much longer than before and it rakes downwards so it's extremely difficult to judge where the front end is. It's only when the parking sensors come on that you think "ok I'm about a foot in front of that wall".

I think the dashboard is more open and horizontal whereas the 3RX had a more enveloping dash. I think this may be contributing to the feeling of width too

You are right, it does feel much bigger than the previous generation. Must be the shape.The cars I have driven seemed quieter than the 3rd gen, and also much more "planted" when going around roundabouts.

incidentally, I think that the auto-high beam is awesome, in particular with the adaptive headlights that modulate the beam anywhere from low to high. On a dark road, you can actually see the beam change shape dependending on the road, oncoming traffic, or when coming up behind another car. It's just outstanding.

Have you guys managed to get the hatch to open/close handsfree? - The model I had was a Premier, but I just could not get it to work.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:49 PM, paulrnx said:

Awesome writeup rayaans and, may I say, a good choice. Sharp looking car the current NX. I especially like the detailing behind the side rear window. I have experience of Lexus Cheltenham and they always offer low part-ex prices. Probably a Listers policy I always thought

I meant "the current RX". Oops :blush:

On 7/13/2017 at 8:04 PM, chris_fletcher said:

Just bought an RX450H F Sport today and drove it away. Briliant but it is HUGE

Nice Chris. Hope you enjoy the car. I'm sure you'll get used to the size because generally cars shrink a little with familiarity

On 31/07/2017 at 5:52 PM, DanD said:

You are right, it does feel much bigger than the previous generation. Must be the shape.The cars I have driven seemed quieter than the 3rd gen, and also much more "planted" when going around roundabouts.

incidentally, I think that the auto-high beam is awesome, in particular with the adaptive headlights that modulate the beam anywhere from low to high. On a dark road, you can actually see the beam change shape dependending on the road, oncoming traffic, or when coming up behind another car. It's just outstanding.

Have you guys managed to get the hatch to open/close handsfree? - The model I had was a Premier, but I just could not get it to work.

The premier you had has adaptive high beam which works differently. The F Sport grades and below get the auto high beam which turns it on and off but that's it.

Yep mine works hand free. Top of the badge for a second or so. Works particularly well if you bow down to it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links