Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mel Gibson has great taste in cars

I've always used my petrol cap to put between the trigger of the petrol pump and the casing, so that I don't have to stand for what seems like hours filling with 80 litres of fuel. The pumps have an automatic stop when the tank is full so no overflow or potential fire hazard,.

• Like 1

hahahahaha............., I stand and fill mine, watching all the others that come and go in the time it takes to put 70+ ltrs in the tank :wink3:

Malc

• Like 3

Filling an LS is a chance to observe the people who have no idea how to park near a pump, cannot remember which side their filler is on, and those who know where the filler is but have not worked out that the pump line can stretch across the boot, and those desperate to make sure they only put a fivers worth of fuel in as that is all they have (been there myself a few times).

Life in the LS, fast on the road, slow at the pump, just the way it should be.

• Like 4

Also a chance perhaps to observe a mk3 GS owner in a loan GS300h trying to work out where the button to release the fuel flap was? Had to ask a Mercedes owner in the end.

On the gentle drive drive of some miles to get my car from service I did get 59.9 mpg though.

John

• Like 1

Ok Guys - filled up earlier and this time paid attention to the inside of the filler cap cover and YES it does have a slot for the cap to be temporarily hanged - the designers didn't miss anything - brilliant!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Ok Guys - filled up earlier and this time paid attention to the inside of the filler cap cover and YES it does have a slot for the cap to be temporarily hanged - the designers didn't miss anything - brilliant!

Hung, surely? Only persons are hanged and I'm not sure they could be done so temporarily.. :zorro:

:wink3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

hey, neither did they 22 years ago :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Having owned an LS 400 for a combined 3 years, I still find things I did not know. Found the coin holder a few months back - it had 5 x £1 coins still in it from the previous owner!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farqui said:

David, some belters in that vid.  I felt sure that the microlite was doomed...

Back to the filler cap, it sounds like some folks would benefit from a scan of the manual e.g. http://www.lexomans.com/manguide-619.html

I love the fact that it says after pressing the fuel filler door button it may take up to 10 seconds to open. 

I would love to see the messages on the console

After 1 second - We have registered your need to open the fuel filler door

After 2 Seconds - We are okay to open, but can see it is cold, and am now giving you time to put on your jacket

After 5 seconds - we have checked your credit card and can see your credit limit is exceeded and will be closing the filler door

After 5.5 seconds - we have spotted that your paypal account is fine, so we are now resuming the opening of the filler door

After 7 sconds - the door is open, we are now heating the filler cap so as not  to freeze your digits

After 10 seconds - ready to fuel

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Having owned an LS 400 for a combined 3 years, I still find things I did not know. Found the coin holder a few months back - it had 5 x £1 coins still in it from the previous owner!

have you found the tray under the front passenger seat ?  that could be filled with ££ tenners :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, Cotswold Pete said:

Filling an LS is a chance to observe the people who have no idea how to park near a pump, cannot remember which side their filler is on, and those who know where the filler is but have not worked out that the pump line can stretch across the boot, and those desperate to make sure they only put a fivers worth of fuel in as that is all they have (been there myself a few times).

Life in the LS, fast on the road, slow at the pump, just the way it should be.

Many people aren't aware that the fuel pump icon in their fuel gauge tells them which side the fuel filler is on. I believe this is a feature on every production car.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, harrylime said:

Many people aren't aware that the fuel pump icon in their fuel gauge tells them which side the fuel filler is on. I believe this is a feature on every production car.

I take it you mean the pump icon with the pipe on the left means the filler is on the left. I don't believe this is true, in fact I've just checked on my IS 250.

The pump icon shows the pipe on the right, but an arrows points to the left, where the filler cap is.

47 minutes ago, harrylime said:

As has been on every car I've owned so far. Must admit I've not seen the icon on my RC, yet.

I think most Japanese cars have the tank on the left. BTW having the cap hang there touching the body like Mel Gibson makes a helluva mess of your paintwork over time.