Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mel Gibson has great taste in cars

One big advantage with Japanese cars is that in Japan they drive on the left so everything is properly set up for the UK.  So with the odd exception the filer is on the left, the wipers are set up to clear the driver's side and the exhaust pipe tends to exit on the road rather than the pavement side so pedestrians aren't directly in the firing line.

My RX has a cradle but I can't find a coin holder or underseat tray so I assume they aren't fitted in it, which is strange as my 2001 Yaris has both but no cradle!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harrylime said:

It's the arrow that's the indicator, not the nozzle, but many people don't know this

Hugh - I had no idea! My fuel filler on my Nitsubishi is on the left - the LS 400 is on the right. I have to think carefully just before I enter the petrol station.

I will KNOW now! Brilliant! Having said that, one day I still might put the wrong fuel (Diesel/Petrol) in!

On 06/07/2017 at 11:37 PM, Glover said:

One big advantage with Japanese cars is that in Japan they drive on the left so everything is properly set up for the UK.  So with the odd exception the filer is on the left, the wipers are set up to clear the driver's side and the exhaust pipe tends to exit on the road rather than the pavement side so pedestrians aren't directly in the firing line.

My RX has a cradle but I can't find a coin holder or underseat tray so I assume they aren't fitted in it, which is strange as my 2001 Yaris has both but no cradle!

And then for UK models they do a really stupid thing just for UK drivers and put the indicator stalk on the same side as the gear shift. Must be the only country in the world where this is the case! About to swap my wife's UK Celica indicator stalk around using import parts. Precious little chance of doing it for the LS400!

Halcyon days when indicator stalks were on the right!  The Japanese manufacturers stuck with it for longer than the British but eventually succumbed to the left hand drive stalk layout.  Best car I had for stalk layout was a W124 E Class Merc; one stalk on the right did everything.  Saves indicating with your wipers!!!  Strange that the Merc stalk was on the right given it was German; maybe LHD cars had it on the left

It's only in the UK that the Japanese put the indicator stalks on the left in a RHD car. In Australia US, Japan, Hong Kong and other RHD markets the stalk is on the right. In the 1994-1999 Celica it was on the right until about 1996, when they changed it at the request of Toyota UK. The Japanese must have thought "how odd. They want a LHD stalk arrangement in a RHD car!". What is amusing is that quite a few older English cars had stalks on the right. It's because European manufacturers cut corners and just stuck LHD stalks in their RHD cars to save money, and in the UK it became the norm. Those darn Europeans tricked old Blighty.

My 1992 Mk1 and Mk2 1994 Ls400s had the stalks the other way around than my now 1995 Mk3 Ls400 ........  whatever, you soon get used to it :whistling1:

Malc