Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Domestic electrical question

Hi folks.

I have always managed to get answers to my questions on here and so I thought that I would try another one please.

I have just erected a small summerhouse in my garden and I am now looking to get power to it.  I already have power in the garden and I will be linking the new cable to this and then on to the summerhouse.

My question is in regard to the requirements for connecting the armoured cable to the 2.5mm twin and earth cable at the summerhouse.  As mentioned, the armoured cable will run from the existing outdoor box to a junction box under the eaves of the summerhouse. I will obviously need an outer box having an IPXX rating (what rating will I need please?) and, what sort of connecting block will I need for use within the box.

Many thanks.

Hope you're all enjoying the return of the lovely weather.

Firstly, I am not an electrician ...

I would suggest something like this, IP56 or IP66 rated

image_5e0322ab421d6c99c5b4f89862704731_l

I assume you will be wiring into a secondary distribution/MCB box inside the summerhouse? Why not take the armoured cable directly into the distribution box inside?

Agree, take the armoured straight into the summer house and then to a small 2 way distribution board, the latest 17th edition are now all metal cased so fit a gland and boot to the cable end and wire into board, guessing you need just lighting and a radial/ring from it so  a 6 Amp and a 32 Amp Type B MCB plus the RCD/main switch at 30ma/100Amps.

I agree with the others. Best practice would be to take the armoured cable directly into the summerhouse and terminate in a two-way (one for lights, one for sockets) consumer unit. I'm assuming you've not done this before or you wouldn't be asking the question so there's a good Youtube video below (or there would be if I knew how to embed it - just click on the link instead). If you really do need to joint the cables before entering the summerhouse then Wago connectors and boxes would be my suggestion.

https://youtu.be/zp6jlryMSkc

Good morning fellow members, another cracking day.  Too warm to wash and polish though eh!

Anyway folks, thank you all for your valued input but, much as I like doing things myself, I have decided on this occasion to get a sparky in to do it for me.  In order to comply with current regulations,there is a bit more to it than I imagined and so I am going to sit in the summerhouse and watch someone else do it.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it is, as always, very much appreciated.:yes:

• Like 4