Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear coil spring for 93 LS400-none in stock??

Took my car in for a service on Friday and they found that a rear spring is broken ( it's still attached at the top but part way down is snapped). They said it is ok to carry on driving it in the short term but obviously it does need doing. They said they would order the part for me and it was booked in to be done yesterday (Tuesday) . They contacted me on Monday and said that they are struggling to get a spring as the four suppliers that they use are all out of stock but another supplier may have a spring for £80, which to me is a bit of a high price as they originally quoted me about £38 for a spring. I have now tried several places myself and everybody are out of stock-I ordered one on eBay for £35 (KYB) but they contacted me later to say that they are out of stock also!! I have ordered another one from eBay for £44 yesterday and they have not yet marked it as being dispatched so I'm thinking that they too are out of stock!!   I would of thought that getting a spring would be very easy and am amazed that they are so difficult to get hold of??   I can get parts for my cadillac easier than this!!

Do not use KYB.

From experience the rubber thing at the bottom is poor quality and wont last more than 15 months.

Either use Lexus dealer parts or better still use second hand ones.

Trust me on this.

Thanks for suggestions on this. To be honest I hadn't even considered using genuine Lexus parts as I would imagine the cost would be totally crazy, but I will call them tomorrow to see just how bad their prices are. The garage that done the service are just a normal garage and I know they didn't try Lexus direct, probably again because of cost. I had a look at the Rockauto option but their price was £74 for a pair and the make was "moog" which I've never heard of but delivery is 4-12 business days for delivery so not too keen on that option. Not too sure about the second hand option as don't particularly trust scrap yards to sell you anything decent. I'm still waiting to hear whether the order I placed on eBay has been dispatched yet but should know more tomorrow. Thanks Stuart for the offer of letting me buy one of your springs if I get stuck-I might take you up on that offer if genuine Lexus is silly money or if eBay let me down-thank you.

Yes forgot.

Wont be cheap, however I have used used front shockers on my old lexus and was still working before it died from someone breaking one.

It was slightly rusty but did the job.

Just a thought.....

You could try Amayama who are in Japan and sell genuine Lexus parts - usually cheaper that Lexus main dealers here, even after paying postage and any customs charges. They might have some in stock.

Sounds familiar, I hadn't heard of Moog until recently.

Fitted some of their drop links to another car and the warranty was better than anything else. The links appeared to be very well made. Not sure how well they lasted as I sold the car.

A pal swears by them, as does his local auto factor.

4 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I have a couple of new KYB Springs, if you are desperate I can let you have one.  Don't know anytihng about the rubber mentioned as they don't come with rubber seating or top part. 

I'm pretty sure I used a kyb in my 97, I bought two the price sounds about right, as does the eBay sellers out of stock scenarios

after changing one I didn't bother with the other,, but so far no complaints about it

.............. then that price hasn't changed much over 6 years. I remember ACLex, the guy i bought my car from, had to put on one brand new Lexus spring when he re-instated from coilovers to original ............  for me to buy my car from him.  He then said that the spring cost him then about £100 all-up  ................ as the parts manager at Lexus Poole Dorset !

He had kept the original set-up when he changed to coilovers. had put the springs away for safe keeping then when he took them out of storage found one had snapped.

If you're keeping the car then maybe a slight increase in cost to@£100 AND availability is a small price to pay :wink3:

Malc

Phoned up Lexus main dealer this morning. He originally said he could probably get me one by this afternoon and then when he checked on his computer said there were none in stock at all with Lexus and they are now unavailable and they will not be selling them again, so the only way now is to go for aftermarket!!

1 hour ago, AndyCheltenham1 said:

Phoned up Lexus main dealer this morning. He originally said he could probably get me one by this afternoon and then when he checked on his computer said there were none in stock at all with Lexus and they are now unavailable and they will not be selling them again, so the only way now is to go for aftermarket!!

pm me your email address if you want one of mine.

Just got an email from eBay saying that they have dispatched a spring to me which should be with me tomorrow, so all sorted now, but still a bit worrying that a simple part like a spring can be difficult to get hold of-I hope getting hold of any other  more obscure spare parts in the future doesn't cause any problems??

so it's an M regd Mk2  The very last of that style then ?

Are the springs common to both the Mk2, 3 and 4 ?  or did the Mk3 and/or the Mk4 have a new set-up on the redesign of the Mk3 I wonder :unsure:

Malc

well at least my 1995 Mk3 sits in the easy to identify block  ..  your's. well, could be a little confusing ........  guess you'll be ordering on the chassis or Vin no. identifier :unsure:

Malc