CustomIce

Stupid question - Rear freewheel

Without wanting to sound like a total prat...wait for it.

I need to check for the source of a rotation noise on the nearside rear. With a manual vehicle I would normally chock the car, lift it, out of gear and handbrake off. As this is an auto I don't want to bugger anything up, so is it ok to do the same but into N and parking brake off, or will rotating one rear wheel like that screw anything up in the transmission.

Really can't afford the time or expense of doing something stupid and breaking it.

Train of thought that led me here - relates to towing these cars, i.e you shouldn't unless flatbed or rear lift.

I've done the exact same thing. I wouldn't think a few turns of the wheel would hurt anything.

I've never looked into why auto cars have to be lifted instead of towed. Circulation of fluid at a guess. ????

edit: RAC report auto cars can be towed for less than 10 miles, off the motorway, As I mentioned it's the gearbox fluid that'sobviously not circulating.

• Like 1

It'll be fine. You'd never be able to turn anything fast enough by hand to damage anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

• Like 2

Superb, thanks chaps!

I had worried that it was some bizzare alignment thing to do with TCS/ECP stuff and turning things with the "brain" off might uncalibrate/***** something up.

But yes fluids and heating during towing sounds like the sensible reason for trailering these.