Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 - Rust Common in Suspention Parts?

Hi Everyone, 

Took the Lexus for a full service at JEM yesterday, and the advisor mentioned that the suspension front and back was badly rusted.

Silly me, I didn't ask them to have a look to see what they were talking about, so have no idea what parts, or how bad it actually is.

I did ask about MOT, and the advisor said that it shouldn't affect the MOT or safety of the car yet, I plan on getting a borescope camera to have a look and take some pictures, but was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the 2IS?

I want to make sure the car is safe, and that it is ready for its MOT in November.

Thanks,

Erick

Hi Erick , I would think about 99% of cars have rusty suspension , I know mine has, the bushes that the suspension mounts on are the important part, I think that maybe JEM are after another job to charge you for, I used to have my car serviced at JEM in Colindale , until they tried to rip me off by wanting to charge me £2600.00 to repair my air conditioning system which I believe they messed up to start with !  I removed the car from them and had the aircon repaired at a company called Alpinair which I can recommend , they fitted new condenser and new compressor for £900.00 bit of a difference I think. Try to find another place to service your car is what I would suggest.

Allan

Thanks for the heads up Allan, 

I did try getting in touch with Alpinair for the AC work, was promised a call back, and its been 6 months and no callback lol.

I will see if I can find someone to give me a second opinion re the rust. (the AC I do know its busted, so will try alpinair.)

Thanks again,

Erick

Rusty or dirty?

When I was scratching around the car (and little bit underneath) there are some parts which are genuinely rusted, but others are covered in dirt + oil + brake dust. Brake dust then rusted on top (because brake rotors are simply iron which easily rusts). Now if you spray some wd40 and dirty rag (can be clean if you want to make really dirty) and scrub some parts it appears they are not rusted at all just dirty.

My point - I would be surprised if suspension part would be free of rust, but even then there are more dirt than rust. 

Thanks Linas,

I'm going to have to find a way to have a look myself! its a 55 plate, so one of the first to come out, but I love the car and would be hard for me to get rid of it :)

Going to get a second opinion later this month... - I just want it to be safe, and to pass its MOT :)

Erick

Just jack it up and take the wheels off! (One at a time!)

Support it properly before you get anywhere underneath to take a close look at the suspension. Put the wheel under a fixed part or use big wooden blocks (or proper axle stands). Don't use bricks.

Most suspension part rust is superficial, but things can get nasty if the car has been driven on a beach (even just on the sand) or through seawater (including seaside floods or promenades where the sea has splashed over the seawall) The salt wreaks havoc on cars - suspension, body, wheels - all will rot in no time - sometimes just seaspray will cause a lot of damage (look around a car park close to the sea in stormy conditions - a lot of the cars will have really rusty brake discs)

Never, ever, drive your car (any car you value) on a beach or through potentially salty floodwater!.

I need to buy some axle stands (as I don't have any jacks or wood blocks) and maybe a hydraulic jack to make the process easier, will go down to halfrauds hopefully this weekend, 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links