Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Having a new windscreen fitted tomorrow due to a large stone hitting it last Friday. Is there something I should keep my eyes on when they're fitting it? Am worried about the auto wipers and head up display not working afterwards.

Thanks,

Alan

Well obviously check everything works before signing off on the job.

Who's fitting the new 'screen? Have you provided the VIN so they can be sure of supplying the correct version?

I'd be making sure the fitter protects the surrounding bodywork and dashboard.

3 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Hi all,

Having a new windscreen fitted tomorrow due to a large stone hitting it last Friday. Is there something I should keep my eyes on when they're fitting it? Am worried about the auto wipers and head up display not working afterwards.

Thanks,

Alan

Head up display should be OK as it essentially comes from the dashboard.

You'll need to keep an eye on the seals being put back properly and the auto wipers working as they should. Additionally, make sure they put the wiper arms back where they should go - on the upstroke, the drivers side wiper should totally parallel to the a pillar and should have about 1-2 inch from the a-pillar. Some places can ***** this up leading to a wiper which keeps hitting the side of the a-pillar.

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Well obviously check everything works before signing off on the job.

Who's fitting the new 'screen? Have you provided the VIN so they can be sure of supplying the correct version?

I'd be making sure the fitter protects the surrounding bodywork and dashboard.

Oh dear, I'm not going to be around when they do it! They know the make, model  and number plate and have ordered the screen for it. I'm assuming they've ordered the right one.

9 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Head up display should be OK as it essentially comes from the dashboard.

You'll need to keep an eye on the seals being put back properly and the auto wipers working as they should. Additionally, make sure they put the wiper arms back where they should go - on the upstroke, the drivers side wiper should totally parallel to the a pillar and should have about 1-2 inch from the a-pillar. Some places can ***** this up leading to a wiper which keeps hitting the side of the a-pillar.

I'm not going to be around when they do it. Am getting worried now! I guess if they get the wiper wrong it's an easy fix for me to do.

Adjusting a wiper is a simple spanner job.

Sealing the screen is the tricky part but they should be up to the task.

Just out of interest, which company is making the change for you?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

The Autoglass fitter pointed out the markings on the screen for setting the wipers...it's so very easy.

Here is my thread about my damaged screen.  It may reassure you...hope so !

• Like 1

After looking at wiper arm info, I didn't know that some Lexus have a 'rest' and a 'retracted'/winter position for the arms.  

I've just checked my manual and there is indeed 'rest' and 'retract' info under 'Shifting the windshield wiper position'.

:shy:

Like this; 

3 minutes ago, Farqui said:

After looking at wiper arm info, I didn't know that some Lexus have a 'rest' and a 'retracted'/winter position for the arms.  

I've just checked my manual and there is indeed 'rest' and 'retract' info under 'Shifting the windshield wiper position'.

Like this; 

What's the reasoning behind that design function?

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

What's the reasoning behind that design function?

To allow the arms to sit under the bonnet until the blades need changing, then retract them to allow them to pull off the screen and not hit the bonnet.

Also something to do with winter and snow not collecting and clogging the blades as easily.  Which is kinda odd as it moves them further up the screen and away from the heater vents.

• Like 1

Hmmm, the manual extract says "You can shift the wipers to the rest position manually. (In heavy snow or icy condition etc.)"

So perhaps if snow builds up at the base of the screen, then the wipers won't ram/pack it down.  The wipers will feel resistance and park slightly higher without burning out the wiper motor.  I think...

Alan @Ala Larj sorry to hijack the thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ala Larj said:

I'm not going to be around when they do it. Am getting worried now! I guess if they get the wiper wrong it's an easy fix for me to do.

Well yes, but not something you want to be doing when they should have done it properly from the beginning.

Im sure they'll want a signature - just sign it off and get whoever signs it to write a note saying "Not fully checked, owner not present" or something like that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Adjusting a wiper is a simple spanner job.

Sealing the screen is the tricky part but they should be up to the task.

Just out of interest, which company is making the change for you?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Some outfit called auto windscreens

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Always had a good service from Autoglass. It is a franchise though, hopefully you'll be fine. Is it being done on your driveway?

Office car park!

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Like this; 

I tried to do that after reading about it in the manual but couldn't move it. Looks like you need a fair bit of force?

15 hours ago, Ala Larj said:
16 hours ago, Farqui said:

Like this; 

I tried to do that after reading about it in the manual but couldn't move it. Looks like you need a fair bit of force?

Interesting, so maybe not all models have this facility.

I wouldn't force them without first checking your manual to confirm it's supposed to do this.

The first Autoglass fitter managed to fit a left-hand drive screen to mine before realising what he had done. As a result the scuttle couldn't be re-fitted because the glass is a different shape at the bottom. It then took a week for them to get the correct screen in stock, so I had to drive round with no scuttle and a load of tape sealing the bottom of the screen.

Nobody was able to explain why they carried a LHD GS300h windscreen in stock, whilst the RHD ones were on back order. I don't doubt the LHD one went back into their system somewhere, so I would instruct the fitter to check yours before it goes on!

In fairness, once they got hold of the correct screen, the fitment was fine - no problems with scratches / leaks / wind noise / sensors / HUD etc. Everything still works. Well, apart from the auto-wipers obviously but that's because they were useless in the first place.

I'm in two minds about the auto wipers. Sometimes they are perfect for the conditions and sometimes they are a mind of their own. 

Just put a tescos finest lasagne in the oven

Hope they seal the screen as well as the film on top of the meal tray!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steveledzep said:

The Autoglass fitter pointed out the markings on the screen for setting the wipers...it's so very easy.

Here is my thread about my damaged screen.  It may reassure you...hope so !

Thanks Steve, interesting read. Two things spring to mind. Firstly I was told that my new screen is made by pilkington, who apparently make original screens for many manfactures. I don't think any major car company actually make their own screens. My previous car, an IS 220d, had a pilkington screen on it so must have been replaced at some point. The seal at the top was not fitted correctly and gave me a bit of wind noise. Don't think that will be a problem in the GS as there's no rubber seal on top. Finally Steve I approve your musical taste!

2 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Thanks Steve, interesting read. Two things spring to mind. Firstly I was told that my new screen is made by pilkington, who apparently make original screens for many manfactures. I don't think any major car company actually make their own screens. My previous car, an IS 220d, had a pilkington screen on it so must have been replaced at some point. The seal at the top was not fitted correctly and gave me a bit of wind noise. Don't think that will be a problem in the GS as there's no rubber seal on top. Finally Steve I approve your musical taste!

Yes pilkington make glass for many manufacturers. 

Lexus glass comes from Asahi Glass Corp though. 

Can't you go for a "smoking break" lol

I have Pilkington on mine, so I assuming it has been replaced at least once in the past.

The only issue I have is that my rear view mirror vibrates, which the Lexus dealer put down to the glass.  It is minor though, so not a problem to put up with.

My missus had a stone chip her screen last week.  Arranged for a replacement last Saturday, and at the same time asked whether is was an original Renault screen (she has a Clio), and was told someone would get back to me about it later.

Got a call the next day saying the screen they had wasn't OEM, so they had cancelled our appointment while they ordered an original one. I am surprised they agreed to fit a Renault one, but I am not complaining.  This was done via insurance with Auto Glass, so hopefully it will go smoothly from here on.

3 hours ago, Shahpor said:

The only issue I have is that my rear view mirror vibrates, which the Lexus dealer put down to the glass.  It is minor though, so not a problem to put up with.

Hi Shahpor,

When I first got my IS250 it too had an annoying vibration of the interior mirror (and from the MOT history has had a new screen fitted). When I was adjusting the mirror position down (I'm taller than the previous owner) it popped off the screen! I discovered that it clips on but isn't tight unless you slide it to like a second firmer click position, have a look and see if yours is lined up with the mount plate.....if not slide it on a bit more.

Andrew

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links