Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitted Nextbase 402G

Glover

Fitted my Nextbase 402g, which I bought over a year ago  into my 3RX last weekend.  Nextbase have been a Which magazine recommendation for a few years, which gave me confidence when I was buying it (great price from Costco).  I'm mechanically aware and have done jobs on previous cars and I've got good attention to details but when it comes to the Lexus and that beautifully fitted interior I'm definitely risk averse hence the delay! 

Eventually I gave it a go and many thanks to those members who've provided info over the last year on how to fit it; you were so helpful (as always with this brilliant forum).  Given all your very positive comments about how easy it was I must admit I asked myself why didn't I give it a go earlier.  It was exceptionally easy; the longest part was getting it out of the box and deciding exactly where to position it!   It's not the smallest unit but it's well hidden by the mirror so not obtrusive.

Having decided where the mount is going start tucking in the cable (leaving enough to connect to the camera).  The cable tucks neatly and easily under the headlining and then down the A pillar.  The edge where the pillar meets the headlining is the only place that could be described as slightly tricky as this is the only bit where the liner doesn't fall readily back in place but a bit of very gentle persuasion and it's back. 

Down the A pillar is easy and then I fed it round the edge of the dash next to the small quarter light using a small self adhesive cable clip to hold it up against the edge; clip courtesy of the previous owner who had left it fixed on the lower dash:-).  I tucked it in down the inside edge of the door rubber then round the edge of the carpet and along the back of the foot well (tucking it under the carpet).  Then back along the centre console tucking it between the carpet and console and then up to the 12v.  Cam works perfectly and the quality of the image is excellent. .

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the fitting.  I only thought about it after I'd fitted it and there was no way I was going to chance doing it again.

One final tip.  Don't do this with the sun shining directly through the screen unless you really like saunas; it gets very hot in the cabin as I soon found out!

Next task will be to look at hard wiring it.  On that subject is there a fuse box inside the cabin and if so where have they hidden it?

If you're still members in a year's time I might even be posting how I hard wired a dash cam!!!!!

Finally has anybody fitted a rear facing cam in a 3RX; if so what make and how did you do it.

• Like 1

Found it on page 502.  Still can't believe the size of modern handbooks; there were encyclopaedias in my younger days that had fewer pages!

• Like 1

I fitted a 402G a few months back in to my 3RX pretty much the same way except i fitted the camera right behind the interior mirror out of sight,i did this by unscrewing the top part of the 402G (4 tiny screws) took the screw out of the bracket holding the interior mirror in place then screwed it back through the top part of the 402 in to place and fixed the camera back to the head.I then turned off the sound notifications in the menu and put it on screen saver so the Battery will last longer.

It works really well and because its out of view you completely forget it is there.