Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mileage discrepancy by main dealer?!

Ah ok. Thanks. Don't think mine has that, sadly.

One more question regarding my current IS250 which some of you advised me on after my head gasket went bang at Xmas.

I've tried to reset the ECU tonight by disconnecting the Battery to see if I can get rid of the damn warning lights that have been there since the engine swap.

First time I left it disconnected for 10 mins then reconnected and tried it. 100 yards down the road and Check VSC flashed up again along with engine warning light and TCS light. So I tried again, but this time left it for 1.5 hours.

Much better result! Managed to drive around town, down the motorway and back toward home, no sign of warning lights or message and fuel economy is way up on what it has been... Then I stopped at the shop... 100 yards down the road and Check VSC is back! 😡

Question is, how long does it take to reset the ECU this way? Both times my one-touch windows reset and my radio presets, but driving position settings only reset on the second try. But the Bluetooth phone connection remained on both times, so I'd hazard a guess that it's not fully resetting.

TL;DR? - basically, how long do I need to keep the Battery disconnected in order to fully reset the ECU. Thanks.

Not sure on the Lexus but to do an ECU reset ( of the volatile memerory) it is a good ideal to turn on a bulb when the Battery is disconnected as what you are doing is trying to totally dissipate all the electrical charge supplied to the ECU and if you turn on a lamp while the Battery is disconnected then absolutely all charge should be disapated. Also the time of disconnection required Vary greatly depending on your info source!

On 15/07/2017 at 4:15 PM, RNUK said:

Afternoon. Just went to look at a private sale IS 250 And after HPI'ing it. It's come back with a mileage discrepancy and a big one of 30,000 miles!!! However, it's been recorded by the manufacturer according to the HPI check.

It has full dealer history in the service book but three consecutive services (by ththe same dealer) has had the mileage tip-ex'd out. 

I have called the dealer in question but the service dept is now closed so I have to wait til Monday to speak to them and see if they can explain it.

Any thoughts? 

Which car was this? Can you provide a link?

I'll take a look into it and get letters sent to the relevant authorities because it shouldn't be on a dealer forecourt if its been tampered with.

21 minutes ago, Texas said:

I thought it was at a dealer? Which dealer was it at before?

Pass......... I'm guessing here, so don't quote me, but I reckon it went for a service/MOT and some nugget of a technician put the wrong mileage down and the customer/next technician  never spotted it until the next year! No going back now is there?

paul m.

1 hour ago, Texas said:

The leather in that car looks pretty tired for only 41k miles...

Looks like a rather tired taxi ...

Leather on rear seats quite worn, as is the driver's bolster. Paintwork badly swirled, wheel kerbed.

And who puts a steering wheel cover on a 40k miles car??

• Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 1:18 PM, NemesisUK said:

Looks like a rather tired taxi ...

Leather on rear seats quite worn, as is the driver's bolster. Paintwork badly swirled, wheel kerbed.

And who puts a steering wheel cover on a 40k miles car??

On 19/07/2017 at 0:53 PM, Wisty said:

The leather in that car looks pretty tired for only 41k miles...

On 19/07/2017 at 11:25 AM, Texas said:

Pass......... I'm guessing here, so don't quote me, but I reckon it went for a service/MOT and some nugget of a technician put the wrong mileage down and the customer/next technician  never spotted it until the next year! No going back now is there?

paul m.

Yes all looks a bit too odd for 41k miles

The Steering wheel cover is most likely to disguise the wear on the steering wheel.

Not overly concerned about the swirled paint as the black is extremely soft and does pick up swirls very easily. 

Something else Ive noticed is the wheels, for 41k miles, you wouldn't really see that amount of pitting between the spokes - budget tyres as well!

The leather seats and sills look extremely used too. The advert says there is a discrepancy before they bought it - this is BS.

Ive done a basic history check on it and it shows:

1. Mileage adds up for the 1st owner - i.e until Dec 2014 at 16178 miles.
  2. Registered owner change in February 2015 (the current owner bought it then)
  3. MOT expired on 4th January 2016
  4. Next MOT done on the 5th January 2016 - 31927 miles (failed)
  5. Another MOT done on 7th January 2016 - 26818 miles (passed)

Essentially, 5109 miles just disappeared within 2 days. Additionally, when looking at the keyboard, I can't figure out how 31927 would turn into 26818. It would make sense if there was a typo suggesting 21927 but the history looks very fishy.

The wear may suggest its been heavily clocked as it looks like a 100k car.

On as side note, the value is way too high - should be £6.5k - and thats for a decent one.