Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Swapped for a 911

But only for two weeks with a colleague who needed a bigger car to take to the airport and has done me a favour knowing I like my cars and as I have been thinking for a while now of buying a 911 this was a good opportunity to have a taster of one.

The porker is a 2011 Carrera S convertible with the PDK 'box with a few options sports chrono, PASM, sports exhaust.

Was a bit of a shock during the drive home today, the noise, ride and rawness (roughness)) was not pleasant.

Made more sense this evening honing around with the roof off and although in a couple of weeks I may be of a different opinion for now I am really looking forward to getting the ISF back!

• Like 5

@Nick W858 Nick careful now you may get tempted to all those things that the German cars have to offer I've prepared a list for you ...

Honesty 🤥

integrity🤥

build quality🤥

reliability🤥

great dealers🤥

Oh and before I forget having had many Porsche in the past 'Paranoia'

Big Rat

• Like 4

Ha ha don't think that will be happening any time soon - totally agree with the reasons above and the way I see it running it for a couple of weeks will get it out of my system and tick a box for considerably less pain and financial hassle of owning one!

• Like 2

I owned a Boxster S back in the day. I had zero problems with it. However it didn't like sustained high cornering and would moan about low oil levels.

Had a couple of 911s (996) on long term loan and loved them. I thought the steering was awesome and there was a real sense of ocassion driving them.

Drove a 993 C2s and didn't think much of that at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Ha ha don't think that will be happening any time soon - totally agree with the reasons above and the way I see it running it for a couple of weeks will get it out of my system and tick a box for considerably less pain and financial hassle of owning one!

@Nick W858 Only joking Nick I have some great memorable moments with mine over the years, that feeling for me to working my way up through the range of Boxsters - Cayman - 911's Gt3 and Turbo will stay for forever, personally I never had any of the well published problems of the non GT/Turbo engines lunching themselves- thankfully 😅 

You enjoy it they are unique after all if flawed in someways..........bit like us all really 😂

Big Rat

2 hours ago, talaipwros said:

A 911 has no logical place in the current era and motoring conditions,

A fast Lexus is a  much better option in my books 

@talaipwros In many ways I agree coming from long term Porsche ownership myself more than anything that I wanted was reliability which for me had to come from engineering integrity, I never felt that with any of my Porsche.

Big Rat

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ray-ISF said:

I've got a porsche itch. Fancy a gen 2 cayman S. 

Can understand that. Will no doubt feel special every time you drive it.

Only ever driven one once and that was on the track. I thought it was immense.

I owned a Boxster S from new and it did feel very special (although it was the 252 BHP, so could have done with more)

Yes the Cayman seems to get great reviews driving better than the 911 by all accounts, ditto the boxter. Personally I need four seats so would be 911, that said now I'm back in the ISF I am beginning to fall in love all over again.

On 08/08/2017 at 4:56 AM, Flytvr said:

Can understand that. Will no doubt feel special every time you drive it.

Only ever driven one once and that was on the track. I thought it was immense.

I owned a Boxster S from new and it did feel very special (although it was the 252 BHP, so could have done with more)

Yeah I recently had a go in a early model boxster with the 2.7 engine and 5 speed box. You had to work the engine but it's felt really good and sounded great. The feedback through the steering was fantastic made the isf feel a bit numb. Having the roof down was great.

Yep it's been quite a few years since I had a convertible, had an MGF back in 2000 and a convertible Saab after that. The wife had a Boxster as a company car in 2001, just the 2.7 and it was the tiptronic but still great fun with the added bonus of a company fuel card. I do love the feel of a convertible, perhaps I need to be looking at an SC430!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links