Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Literally just joined this forum so go easy on me! Just wondered if some of the knowledgeable folk on here could help answer a couple of questions if that's ok? Firstly, the car I am buying is a 2010 (59 plate) IS 220D SE-L. I phoned Lexus with the registration and they confirmed it is the newer engine in the car as from what I understand, the earlier engines were plagued with head gasket issues amongst other things. Did this improve with the modified engines that were in the cars from 2009 onwards? Are there any things I need to be looking out for?

The car has only 47,000 miles on it with 1 owner, and it has been stamped around every 6k-7k with a FSH. I will be driving around 15,000 miles per year with around 75% local driving and around 25% driving on motorways / longer trips. With this in mind, is there anything I need to consider? I always use premium fuel (BP Ultimate or Shell Nitro) and stay well clear of supermarket fuel. To help try and keep the engine clean do you ever use any additives or such like?

Also, a couple of questions about the entertainment system. I see people talking about the Mark Levinson system, but I don't really understand what that is. I have included a photo of the Sat Nav / Radio in the car and I believe it is a multi disc changer too. Do all of the Cds go in the one slot, or is there a disc changer hidden somewhere in the boot etc? Also, the entertainment system has a DAB button but it only seems to pick up MW / FM. Am I missing something, or could it possibly not have DAB despite the button?

Sorry for all the questions, just a newbie looking to find out as much as I can. Thanks :wink3:

Front 2.jpg

Front.jpg

Internal 1.jpg

Internal 2.jpg

Internal 3.jpg

Sat Nav.jpg

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the lexus owners club. 

That's a lovely looking car you have there. Identical to my previous IS220D SE-L.

you say your looking at 75% local driving and 25% motorway but really you need to be driving 75% motorway and 25% town in order to keep the egr valve and dpf from blocking up.

Unfortunately I encountered these problems due to my mostly town driving. 

The levinson is superb and I've had it in all my lexus vehicles and really comes into its own when playing a cd loud.

Head gaskets are a major concern on pre 2010 models. I do believe lexus rectified the issue on 2010 models and above. Mine was a 2009 and was replaced under warranty by the previous owner.

• Like 2

Thanks Rebecca, I really appreciate your input. In terms of the driving that as probably an underestimate of the motorway driving. I do a 120 mile round trip at least two weekends per month, and sometimes more. I drove around 40-50 miles per week on 7-8 mile journeys too. 

Is that entertainment centre in my car a Mark Levinson one, or is it a standard Lexus Sat Nav?

Thanks again. 

Yours looks to have the standard system fitted or it would have the logo on the stereo. But don't worry the standard lexus system is superb. You can pop 6 cds into the slot. There are no hidden boxes on the car.

Just make sure you give it a good run out whenever you can to stop any issues arising with the egr valve and dpf.

Thanks again Rebecca, you've been a great help. I've a trip to Wolverhampton in a couple of weeks which is around 400-450 miles round trip so that should be a good start and help clean the engine with a good long run.

One final question about the standard entertainment system - am I right in thinking it is a DVD system? 

This is an entertainment unit ( pictured in above post!!!!!) with the 'Mark Levinson' enhanced system (logo under cd slot). And also DVD and MP3 CD capable as per logo under the DAB/AM radio button.

paul m.

Will do, thanks again to you both you've been a great help. 

Fingers red crossed I get plenty of life and enjoyment and not too much grief from my Lexus 😉

I here that unless you like collecting points, and I don't mean Clubcard points! Then 6th gear is pretty unusable until you go on holiday to Germany! And unusually for Lexus there was not an Auto option on this range of car.

paul m.

From you description it seems that you getting IS200d and not 220d. The only engine which "rectified" the head gasket issue is in IS200d, in fact that is the same engine just de-tuned from 170hp to 150hp. If it is 220d, then there is only one 220d and that is the same one with head gasket issue. What they meant, might be that head gasket was already replaced under warranty for "up-rated" part.

Considering that you are doing more local driving it seems a little bit odd that you picked-up diesel which is only good for motorway and manual which at least in my opinion is little bit painful in the city. Obviously you not going to spend hour in traffic as I do in London, but still IS200/220d is purely motorway car. For city driving IS220d returns very similar MPG to IS250, just gives a lot more problems with maintenance.

As other mentioned if you want o regenerate DPF then you should stay in 5th gear on motorway, which kind of again negates the purpose of the car - high MPG on motorway.

I wish you luck with your purchase, but have a look in the forum, there is one thread just few days ago with the same question.

Thanks for the reply - however the engine definitely was modified in some way at that time as emissions went down by a bit, and the official MPG figures went up. Might well not have been a new engine as such but it was modified in some way hence the changes in the emissions and MPG. 

Does anyone have a 2010 or newer 220D? Can you confirm this information? Obviously I don't want to go ahead and buy the car if it still has all the potential problems. There are no repairs under warranty on the car I'm potentially buying, Lexus have confirmed that. 

Thanks.  

Hi Brian,

Congrats on the purchase! I am one of the more delusional folk on this forum that loves his 220D! :tongue: Mine is older than yours and has significantly higher mileage. Black on black as well.

I won't go on about the issues with the car as the forum regularly throws them up so keep an eye out every few days. Don't be afraid to ask anything as the lads on here are great and have been a huge help to me. 

Learn to clean the EGR and re-grease the brake pins every six months or so based on your mileage. They are both easy jobs.

Just enjoy the car!

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

Well done snagging yourself what looks to be a great IS.

It's already been said but I'll also chime in with...'drive it and enjoy it'.

11 hours ago, Funghi said:

Does anyone have a 2010 or newer 220D? Can you confirm this information?

Now again... after 2010 220d was replaced with 200d, which was de-tuned (170hp to 150hp), had better emissions and as far as I know was less susceptible for head failure. As well, Lexus has acknowledged the issue on IS220d and extended engine warranty to 100k miles (instead of 60k) original. Firs replacements under warranty was the same gasket, but when cars were returning for seconds later Lexus (based on the rumors) have replaced head gasket with up-rated ones. Some especially, unfortunate cars had received engine replacement (~£6000 job) which were seemingly more reliably units, so it seems Lexus has done something to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fungi, I also have a is220d se-l. Mine an 07 plate. Have had the dreaded vsc eml warning triangle lights up a lot. Scanner reads p2002 dpf threshold. The lights go off after three restarts but come back. However I have had mine serviced recently new oil new air filter new fuel filter new oil filter. Lights haven't been on again for weeks so very happy. Also had egr cleaned months ago. Oil used was Mobil 1 5w-30 fully synth. Learn to love the motorway do 70 in 3rd you get lots of smoke but mine doesn't now.

As for the car I love mine it's a lovely place to be. Love the dimming mirrors int and ext at nite no more glare, comfy seats good driving position even though six foot. A pillar can be bit obstructing might just be me. Can't really complain got her for 3k better than getting a lower spec car.

As for tyres I recommend Dunlop sport max rt2. Very quiet great grip in wet and dry. Don't forget back and front different size.

i have the standard audio but it's great, loud enough for me. Would love the ml system in next car. All the CDs go in the one slot on the dash. Radio reception is spot on too.

The ac system is excellent cools car down quickly demists widows in no time.

mirror what others have said just enjoy the car get out and about in it esp the motorway and you should avoid the common problems

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

Scanner reads p2002 dpf threshold. The lights go off after three restarts but come back. However I have had mine serviced recently new oil new air filter new fuel filter new oil filter. Lights haven't been on again for weeks so very happy.

Any chance they ran a forced regen during your service? They did during mine when I sent in with P2002 fault. 

Mark L Audio is far better than Standard audio. But if you are not one of those who will pay 100s for headphones, you won't care.

Just for anyone else reading this and buying IS220D, avoid diesels. They come with lots of issues, not good for enviroment, eventually you will pay higher tax and insurance, diesel price per liter will go up, your car value will go down the drain fast, all sooner than later.

I think guys here should keep on preaching this like Pepsi ad.

I'm not sure Funghi has actually gone and bought this car yet ( well he has'nt actually said he has!) but in my case  I did make a concerted effort to steer clear of DERV when looking for my 250 after trawling through this forum of 1st hand owners/drivers. But in the end it's horses for courses and as I will now be doing sub 4000 (non-motorway) miles a year then a 220D was not for me.

paul m.

Well, he did say in his first post:

"Firstly, the car I am buying is a 2010 (59 plate) IS 220D SE-L"

You are absolutely correct Paul in that the 220d is not for you.  On the other hand, since I am doing mostly motorway miles, it suits me fine and mine has done well these last two years.