Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would be nice to hear back from @Funghi to see if he actually did buy the car but I suspect he had a good read on the forum and got deterred. Wouldn't surprise me if he had bought another brand altogether. 

Shahpor

It is not about that he made a mistake. Never said IS220d is bad and can't say that as I never owned one. Well... depends really what OP wants.

But what I wanted to say is that Diesel era is nearing end. You know how the older ones will get banned or higher tax in main cities. And owners of used Lexus are the ones who drive it till they break so for them it is a long term investment (i am asuming this of course).

Petrol will head the same way eventually due to electric cars but we will not be alive till then.

• Like 1

That's fair enough jack, and having re-read your post with what you have just said, I obviously got the wrong end of the stick and I apologise.

I will edit my post, so sorry if it is confusing for people who haven't read the thread yet. :smile:

On the subject you mentioned, I totally agree that the diesel backlash has begun, and also it is completely unfair on diesel buyers.  Perhaps the government will actually do what it says it will do and hold off on penalising the owner for some time to come.

As for electric cars, I will hopefully still be around when the ban comes in place, and as a build up to that I think it is going to be an interesting few decades to come.

8 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Mark L Audio is far better than Standard audio. But if you are not one of those who will pay 100s for headphones, you won't care.

Not quite agree with that. ML audio definitely has a slight edge, but it really depends on the type of music you are listening and the source of you use. I had cars with both ML and non-ML and can honestly say that for what I am listening there are no difference what so ever.

ML is huge thing for mk3, because standard car comes with unbelievably poor 6 speakers (even Ford Fiesta has 10 speakers as standard) and ML has 15 speakers. On mk2 standard system has 13 speakers, where ML has 14. the only additional speaker is center one and even in cars with standard system you have speaker grill there and you can retrofit the speaker if you want. There are some difference in speaker positions, slightly better amp but nothing major.

Now the difference boils down to source and type of music. If you use Aux-in .. no difference, CD/DVD with MP3... no difference... Original CD-ROM... slight difference, but only if you listen to very vocal or classic music.. drum'n bass... sorry no difference. The funniest thing to me is when people buy car with ML and listens to radio.. I guess even 6 speakers in standard mk3 is overkill for that.

Linas

Isn't the extra speaker a sub woofer and the big difference is ML has a stand alone amp in the back. 

Amp not only delivers more power but provided better audio quality and powers the sub. So I expect to hear more bass.

Standard headunit is underpowered. I would expect standard unit to deliver 10w per speaker and no more.

The number of speakers really isn't a measure for how good a system is though is it?

ML has modified amps and drivers, but as with all audio equipment the cost vs improvement ratio greatly increases once you reach a good enough point (probably where the stock system is). Many people won't notice or care about the extra performance of the ML system, especially in the relatively noisy environment of the IS series II interior.

20 hours ago, Linas.P said:

ML is huge thing for mk3, because standard car comes with unbelievably poor 6 speakers (even Ford Fiesta has 10 speakers as standard) and ML has 15 speakers.

The difference between the 8 speaker premium audio system and the ML is very minor, maybe even less than the difference between standard and ML with the series II. The basic 6 speaker system is quite poor for Lexus standards.

• Like 1

@ColinBarberYou definitely, right about number of speakers not being a measure for quality. However, my point was that which ever way you look there is just a slight difference between ML and non-ML in mk2. I have not tried comparing premium audio vs ML in mk3, but what I know is that 6 speakers are terrible by any standard especially when you pay north of £35k for the car. Second point was that you have very limited choice for source and style of the music if you really want to "hear" the difference.

@jackcramerr standard mk2 as well has standalone amp in the back, and as well has sub-woofer. True ML sub is more powerful, and amp is slightly more powerful, maybe has better quality components as well.

Thanks for the info guys. Next Lexus will probably be another is mk2 but an is250. Was a bit obsessed with having an ml system but seems standard system fine for most needs. I am happy with the standard in my 220d. Just a quick question anyone prefer the internal styling of the mk2 over mk3? Love all the detail of the interior the big centre console round vents etc. The mk3 interior is nice but I prefer the mk2 interior. If had the cash would love a gs saw one today bloody lovely car. Whatever next car will buy definitely be another lexus

On 7/31/2017 at 10:03 PM, Scouselexus said:

Just a quick question anyone prefer the internal styling of the mk2 over mk3? 

This is obviously subjective question, so the answers will be subjective as well.

I personally prefer looks of mk3, but I prefer materials and build of mk2... obviously 100% subjective. The only thing I don't like on mk3 is the clock... it looks fine in pictures, bu from close-up in real life it looks bit cheap.

Yeah I think I prefer the 2is interior over the 3is, the 3is is more "modern" however everything is a bit too square for me, the 2is is very busy with lots of buttons but it just works!

I really prefer the 2is steering wheel too, especially my flat button one

5982427fe0e9c_2017-06-0318_59.05-1.jpg.6864fa8f7c96aa066a639a5787cbaf91.jpg

59824298a506b_2017-06-0318_59.20-1.jpg.a7a157e2cd0706ece92cdb7b10f3149b.jpg

• Like 1

Ive owned my 220d f sport for 15 months now and the only real issue I had was some kid taking the nearside wing and bumper off!! I mostly use bp ultimate but do fill up time to time with standard fuel,,On purchase the dealer had done a lot of work as sad to say the previous owner didnt give it much attention so it needed a big service which included full new brakes,Dpf and egr clean etc but on getting the car I switched oil to Mobil 1 and upgraded the brakes to brembo and doing the slide pins,since then the car does little mileage with only the odd burst of speed returning around 35/39 mpg..Dont be put off with it being the dreaded 220 they are good cars just keep on top of the servicing and when possible give it some right foot!!

Mk3 looks better than the mk2 No question. I also prefer the interior of the mk3. Much more modern. 

I have the mk2 and I'm totally delighted with it. I really can't fault it but my intention was to buy a mk3 is250 but could not find one for love nor money. They are as rare as hens teeth. 

Hybrids not my cup of tea and the 200t I test drove felt underpowered for a 2 litre turbo. Much preferred the V6 engine but would have preferred to find it in a mk3.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links