Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I considered it, but as the accident was not my fault, I wanted to make sure that I got back what I'd had beforehand: a blemish free, low mileage, SEL with a full Lexus history.  What I would have ended up with was a repaired, Cat D low mileage SEL.  I didn't think I should have to take the financial hit that trying to sell a Cat D car comes with.

• Like 1

Just now, Linas.P said:

Yes but usually insurance buy backs are very cheap, so you get your claim money and then get your car for fraction of the car ... or am I dreaming? 

Unfortunately yes you are salvage values are very high these day so you don't get bargains buying them back. When I first started in the trade you could buy a write off for a few hundred quid but you are looking at 30-50% of the retail value for a CAT D these days.

Also most insurance companies don't give you the option of retaining salvage these days it is usually because Copart and the likes offer such good value for salvage vehicles the insurance companies cut their losses dramatically, They usually work to 60% repair cost before vehicles are station to be considered beyond economical repair

I suppose we must blame the internet/ebay. Long gone are the days of visiting local scrapyards to find parts - just jump on the 'net. And going by the prices of 2nd hand parts, salvage companies must be making good profits.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:37 PM, Wisty said:

Ain't that the truth.  The damage in the attached picture was enough to write mine off.  It was back up on AutoTrader a few weeks ago as a Cat D.  Whoever bought it got a pretty good deal based on it's service history/mileage and being an SE-L

Bump small.jpg

Wow that is unlucky for a write off....what was your mileage if you don't mind me asking?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Turtle Wax (Magic wax with a black die in it) on the scratches on the bumper yesterday - my lad was using it on his black car so I thought I would give it a go to see what the result was on the damaged bumper. The wax came with a lipstick type of wax on a stick and a bottle of wax.

While it is not a cure as the scratches are quite deep and it does need repair and re-spray, the wax has covered the scratches. They are still there but not immediately noticeable - pictures below are before and after.

First time using this so I done the whole car - stone chips are not visible after using this also (they are still there but the die has hidden them) I thought it was really good stuff as a temporary measure - bit messy and needed to wear gloves.

BEFORE - original post after the damage was done

IMAG0512.thumb.jpg.4a60bf50b3d909dd15d817cc55494c1c.jpg

AFTER - after using the wax yesterday

IMAG0579.thumb.jpg.6effa9af35cff25fbcf409367138b1c8.jpg

AFTER - after using the wax yesterday

IMAG0581.thumb.jpg.90a924c85e857b1d17cdf232d6b393fd.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links