Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hobbies suck sometimes :(

Went into the garden this morning and found one of the Koi on the lawn. Not sure if she'd been spooked by the thunderstorms, or over enthusiastic spawning (she was full of eggs). Sadly, it was too late to save it :(

No prize winning koi, but will miss her none the less. Weighed in at a decent 15 lbs.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1500485972.542446.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That sucks, sorry :sad:

As a fellow fish keeper, I can sympathise.  Although mine are only small goldfish, I lost one I was attached to a few months ago which kinda dulled my enthusiasm for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerFish said:

Went into the garden this morning and found one of the Koi on the lawn. Not sure if she'd been spooked by the thunderstorms, or over enthusiastic spawning (she was full of eggs). Sadly, it was too late to save it :(

No prize winning koi, but will miss her none the less. Weighed in at a decent 15 lbs.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1500485972.542446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

@TigerFish Sorry to hear this it's such a shame that something as impressive as this has its life cut short for what ever reason, now I know nothing about them but by coincidence the last two days I've been working on the roof of a customers house and he has a pond in the rear with a fair number of them in there and 2 in particular are massive.

Square area the pond is only about the size of a couple of baths but it's 3.5 metres deep.

Big Rat

• Like 1

Ditto, it's such a shame when this happens. Gutted for you.

We had a couple of fish suddenly appear on the patio one year and we still don't know why. They weren't Koi but it was still upsetting.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, Shahpor said:

That sucks, sorry :sad:

As a fellow fish keeper, I can sympathise.  Although mine are only small goldfish, I lost one I was attached to a few months ago which kinda dulled my enthusiasm for a while.

Thanks Shahpor. Yeah, I've had a few experiences that have made me want to quit the hobby before. Not just the pond, but aquariums as well. I've had some of the aquarium fish 16+ years, so they are genuinely like pets and recognise me over other folk in the room. My wife took this Koi death a bit harder, as she found her on the lawn and put her back in the pond hoping she would make it. 

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Bluesman said:

Fish are so difficult to keep you need to be a real expert especialy looking after Koi, such a gracefull and beautiful fish.

Thanks Mike.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Big Rat said:

@TigerFish Sorry to hear this it's such a shame that something as impressive as this has its life cut short for what ever reason, now I know nothing about them but by coincidence the last two days I've been working on the roof of a customers house and he has a pond in the rear with a fair number of them in there and 2 in particular are massive.

Square area the pond is only about the size of a couple of baths but it's 3.5 metres deep.

Big Rat

Now that is deep, lets hope he never has to do anything on the bottom... lol. Mine is only 4 and half feet deep, and 18'x9' long and wide, so not huge, but enough.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, dougie175 said:

Gutted for you mate, kept fish for many years never nice to loose one especially in this sort of way!

Thanks Robb. Yeah, it's tough on my wife as well, she takes it very badly when stuff goes wrong with them.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, Farqui said:

Ditto, it's such a shame when this happens. Gutted for you.

We had a couple of fish suddenly appear on the patio one year and we still don't know why. They weren't Koi but it was still upsetting.

Thanks Lee. Yeah, doesn't matter what they are, they are still pets, so never a nice experience when something goes wrong.

• Like 2