Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well I've now had my car for 19 days and driven 1774 miles. I refuelled today and my average Mpg over that distance recorded tankful to tankful is 46.92mpg.

I use a smartphone app to do the maths.  

The car computer gives an average of 51.7mpg so that gives a good idea how optimistic the car software is. 

Very pleased with this as my IS300h f sport averaged just over 44mpg over 20000 miles. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah - it is doing great.  On my app that tracks it properly, it did 40.41MPG on that fill up (475 miles and I put in £63 of petrol to take it back to full).

The average over the last 17,500 miles I have done in the car over the space of 12 months has been 35.08MPG, which for a 3.5 litre V6 is superb!   I do a lot of mixed driving, but certainly the longer drives will see 40+ mpg on the car.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:47 AM, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

Yeah - it is doing great.  On my app that tracks it properly, it did 40.41MPG on that fill up (475 miles and I put in £63 of petrol to take it back to full).

The average over the last 17,500 miles I have done in the car over the space of 12 months has been 35.08MPG, which for a 3.5 litre V6 is superb!   I do a lot of mixed driving, but certainly the longer drives will see 40+ mpg on the car.

Just travelled from Wirral to St Andrews and return and averaged 38mpg on both journeys.Actual consumption,not OBC !

Perfectly acceptable, me thinks.

Regards

John

These are great figures :)

My peak has been 40.4mpg on a tracking app. and average over the entire year + I have owned the car is 35 mpg of all sorts of mixed driving, 17,000 miles.  

The car economy is actually improving over the time, I assume as the car is being driven more sensitively as I maximise the use of the hybrid system.

On 12/08/2017 at 11:09 AM, olliesgrandad said:

In 43 days I have now racked up 3500miles.According to my phone app I have averaged 46.4 Mpg over that period. The last 500 miles I have tried v power and to be honest the Mpg has been marginally less. 

I've been tempted by a GS as my next car, so that's quite comforting. Probably looking at a 450h but even then people appear to be getting good mpg.

olliesgrandad said:

"In 43 days I have now racked up 3500miles.According to my phone app I have averaged 46.4 Mpg over that period. The last 500 miles I have tried v power and to be honest the Mpg has been marginally less"

Interesting. I occasionally use shell v power (petrol) expecting better fuel consumption but it appears worse than they're normal petrol. In my is 220d the consumption was better using v power diesel!

Tried all sorts of right foot application, and yes, I don't hang about, but equally don't thrash everywhere. Following tips from users here, I was able to see 32 on dash, but that was driving very gently, too much so etc, but having tried everything, I'm no where near others and I have no hills and mainly dual carriageway on my commute.

Read somewhere of a similar issue (plus others) and chap had Lexus update some software and his mpg jumped right up and car used else more. I think I have same issues, as else kicks off very early most the time, but now and again I can get to 25 / 30 etc before engine kicks in. No pattern, it's very random, only vague pattern I've picked up is she mostly has the odd good ele sections when cold / cool and is eager with the engine when hot. This one isnt the right foot, ive been as gentle as possible and engine can still kick in at 5mph when on flat or even slightly down hill!

Blooming thing, but still love it!

To be fair, I've no idea how you guys are getting close to 40 mpg in your 450h's. I could only get that at 60 mph on a flat motorway.

My 30 mpg is based on my commute on country roads (frequent accelerating and braking), going through villages and crawling through Cambridge traffic, with a small amount of dual carriageway.

I'm perfectly happy with 30 mpg given the performance available. I run my car (which admittedly I've only had 8 weeks) on Shell unleaded and it's been serviced on the button by Lexus, so technically it should be fine.

I track my fuel consumption with GasTracker+.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have reached 30mpg driving my gs430 over last 2500 miles during the trip through Europe few weeks ago. I have notice just about 1mpg difference in consumption when driving between 80 and 110mph. Petrol used 98 and 105 on Aral station in Germany. There was about 40 eurocents difference in the price but I think it wasn't worth the price. On the tank maximum range 380 miles, but it happened once. Usually on the motorway after refilling 350mile on the computer is shown.

What's with all this penny pinching economy driving? You don't buy a car like a 450h or any luxury car like a Lexus for economy!!! If you aren't going to utilise the performance of a car like this you might as well drive a 1 litre hatchback!!! 🤣🤣🤣

For the record I averaged around 25-27mpg day to day and around 38mpg on a run from my 450h before it went kaput. The only way I can see of getting more than that is to crawl along the inside lane at about 60mph and where's the fun in that? My merc S500 does about 19-21 day to day and about 30-33mpg on a run which I think is good for a 5 litre V8 and I don't hang about!!!

• Like 4

On 27/08/2017 at 6:17 PM, mrdoofa said:

What's with all this penny pinching economy driving? You don't buy a car like a 450h or any luxury car like a Lexus for economy!!! If you aren't going to utilise the performance of a car like this you might as well drive a 1 litre hatchback!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Speak for yourself, sir. I chose the 300h because I wanted a 'luxury' car that wouldn't cost a fortune to run and wasn't a stinking diesel. I don't wish to rattle around in some ****box hatchback, but neither do I wish to haemorrhage cash on unnecessary fuel costs. In fact, if Lexus made a GS-sized car that was slower but more economical than the 300h, I'd buy one.

My days of haring around the roads with my arse on fire are long gone. These days I find the challenge of eking out another mile per gallon on my daily commute just as rewarding as knocking another few seconds off my 'personal best' time might once have been. Hypermiling is cheaper and safer, to boot. I know that might not be for everyone but we all get our fun in different ways, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

Speak for yourself, sir. I chose the 300h because I wanted a 'luxury' car that wouldn't cost a fortune to run and wasn't a stinking diesel. I don't wish to rattle around in some ****box hatchback, but neither do I wish to haemorrhage cash on unnecessary fuel costs. In fact, if Lexus made a GS-sized car that was slower but more economical than the 300h, I'd buy one.

My days of haring around the roads with my arse on fire are long gone. These days I find the challenge of eking out another mile per gallon on my daily commute just as rewarding as knocking another few seconds off my 'personal best' time might once have been. Hypermiling is cheaper and safer, to boot. I know that might not be for everyone but we all get our fun in different ways, right?

Well said Jay !

Regards

John

35 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

I'm with you. Although the GS450H has more than capable performance figures it can also be economical.

My current tank average is in the low 40's on country roads with hills no dual carriageways, and no motorways. Although I am a great granddad I do not drive like one. Not at all bad when you consider my first cars were Mini's "the proper ones" 848 cc's, and 35 MPG if I was careful. Front tyres lasted 5000 miles.

John.

I agree. Nothing wrong with the inside lane of the motorway. Motorway driving can never be called fun anyway. That's what windy A and B roads are for. I also like the challenge of beating my average mpg figures. The joy of a Lexus for me is the air of contentment it gives me. You don't get that in a small hatchback.