Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

I'm with you. Although the GS450H has more than capable performance figures it can also be economical.

My current tank average is in the low 40's on country roads with hills no dual carriageways, and no motorways. Although I am a great granddad I do not drive like one. Not at all bad when you consider my first cars were Mini's "the proper ones" 848 cc's, and 35 MPG if I was careful. Front tyres lasted 5000 miles.

John.

And mine John,was a 1948 Black, Split Windscreen,848cc, side valve Minor with a 3 speed gearbox which  gave 33mpg whether I was careful or not on Cross Ply tyres.

Regards

John

I learnt to drive about 1961 on a Morris Minor and my Dad had an A35 for work and my Mum had a Ford Anglia 105E which she used for Hospital Car Service. (Do they still exist?) So very roughly 1/2 ton, 40bhp, top speed 70mph and 35mpg. Petrol was 4/- gallon or 20p in todays money.

Contrast this with the GS450h at just under 2 tons, 300+bhp, top speed 155 limited and 40mpg. i.e. 4 x the weight, 8 x the power, 2 x top speed and more to the gallon. I find this an amazing achievement. If I remember correctly improvements really got under way with the first fuel crisis in the early 70s.

John

• Like 1

On 27/08/2017 at 7:17 PM, mrdoofa said:

What's with all this penny pinching economy driving? You don't buy a car like a 450h or any luxury car like a Lexus for economy!!! If you aren't going to utilise the performance of a car like this you might as well drive a 1 litre hatchback!!! 🤣🤣🤣

For the record I averaged around 25-27mpg day to day and around 38mpg on a run from my 450h before it went kaput. The only way I can see of getting more than that is to crawl along the inside lane at about 60mph and where's the fun in that? My merc S500 does about 19-21 day to day and about 30-33mpg on a run which I think is good for a 5 litre V8 and I don't hang about!!!

For me, the V6 in the 450h is about refinement rather than sporty performance      .  My previous car was a Mercedes W212 E350CDI. I get about the same fuel economy in my GS as I did in the E-Class. When you are doing over 20k miles a year, you do think about the economy. 

I do apprectiate the performance of the GS but rarely need to utilise it in my normal driving. 

• Like 1

My first car was a Yugo 45!!! Now that was luxury motoring lol!!!🤣🤣🤣

It was a truly awful car. It was slow, noisy, uncomfortable but it got me to work and back for a year. It had a 900cc engine which sounded awful, the gearchange was so sloppy it felt more like stirring porridge than a gearbox.

I suppose it's each to their own when it comes to driving style, if I've got the power I like to use it a bit, especially when it comes to teaching boy racers a lesson in their chavved up corsas and saxos, it makes me laugh when they sit there revving up at the lights impatiently nudging slowly forwards inch by inch then you just effortlessly leave them behind.  These cars don't particularly look fast but they catch a lot of people out, a true wolf in sheeps clothing!!! One of the reasons for driving a car hard is the sound especially with the 5 litre V8 I have now. That is something no diesel or electric car will ever give you, although the V6 in the 450h makes a nice sound. Happy motoring!!! 😀😀😀

One of the reasons I bought my GS450h last year, which I was weighing up against a Golf R32 and a Honda Civic Type-R as my short list of 3, is the combination of excellent performance, surprisingly good economy, reliability and brilliant for soaking up many miles.

It cannot cope with the twists the same way a well set-up Type R can, or make the same noise the R32 makes but it's a brilliant combination of most things.

Another VERY important aspect for me was an excellent local dealer something most VW dealers can never be accused of, and the fact that my car, which is 11 this year, is still under warranty until August next year!!  Brilliant work Lexus.

• Like 2

It's interesting what other cars we were considering before buying our GS450s.

I was looking at CLS350 CDIs and the odd 530d but didn't really fancy a diesel and the equipment and tech in the BMW and MB was no match for the GS.

I also wanted something very reliable as there are few things more disruptive to a finely balanced kids/wife/work life than a non functioning car.

In the end, my positive experiences with the family Prius, and lots of reading of forums put the GS on top. No regrets from me.

In my car options spreadsheet (do all blokes have one of these?) I'd factored in the cost of fuel, and while the GS is probably a touch thirstier than a CLS350 or 530d the fact petrol is cheaper and running costs are lower generally put the GS only marginally more expensive than an old Volvo S80 D5 I ran for a while.

In terms of economy versus performance everyone finds a level they are comfortable with. I'm very comfortable with 341bhp and 30mpg. :)

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1