Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No you are not stupid. It works like this. Annoying, isn't it?

I would be interested in what you think of the Sat Nav. I think it is the worst feature of the car.

13 hours ago, chris_fletcher said:

Perhaps I am being rather dense but I cant seem to get the nav to start just on the map as opposed to the menu screen and I have to press return to get it back to map only. Is it me??

Yes thats how it is. Software update needed I think.

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

No you are not stupid. It works like this. Annoying, isn't it?

I would be interested in what you think of the Sat Nav. I think it is the worst feature of the car.

Found the sat nav great so far to be honest - its not done any of the turn off a motorway and go through a village for 10 miles to go back onto the motorway kind of thing yet.

I have not had any SatNav issues on motorways but my experience has been that the route instructions in big towns are very poor. In both Cardiff and Bristol I have been routed down dead ends, been given misleading instructions (e.g. turn left when route is straight on) and had straight on at crossroads announced as turn left/turn right.

This may be partly due to the hopelessly outdated maps (a year out of date when my new car was delivered last September and no free update offered) but I think is more likely to be a lack of precision location of the vehicle in relation to the map.

This is not very good in a £60K car of new design.

Other than that, the only other real issue I have with the Gen 4 RX is the operation of the adaptive headlamps. After auto-dipping they do not revert to main beam until your speed rises to about 40mph. This means that, if like me you live in a rural area, turning off a main road (with headlights dipped due to opposing traffic) into a country lane you drive into a pool of darkness and therefore do not get up to the required speed. In the automatic mode, you have no way of overriding to put main beam on. Last winter, I stopped using the AHBC for this reason.

I also don't use the lane departure warning as it is very annoying on country roads.

• Like 1

I havent needed to use the nav yet so cant comment on its accuracy or effectiveness. On the IS300H whilst a very old fashioned interface it was one of the most accurate i have used in terms of turns and how far to the next direction change. I was hoping the RX would be at least as good and it does look to be a similar interface.

The manual says it will display motorway junction gantries which the IS never did, so maybe I will give it a try next time I do a motorway journey.

I dont have the adaptive lights, only the auto high beam which seem to be awkward vs my wifes Honda CRV. One thing that is slightly irritating is that the tailgate wont open from the fob if the unless the car is unlocked first. Again my wifes CRV does this without having to unlock the car first. Maybe this is me being dumb as usual.

I agree that the lane departure is annoying most of the time

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

I have not had any SatNav issues on motorways but my experience has been that the route instructions in big towns are very poor. In both Cardiff and Bristol I have been routed down dead ends, been given misleading instructions (e.g. turn left when route is straight on) and had straight on at crossroads announced as turn left/turn right.

This may be partly due to the hopelessly outdated maps (a year out of date when my new car was delivered last September and no free update offered) but I think is more likely to be a lack of precision location of the vehicle in relation to the map.

This is not very good in a £60K car of new design.

Other than that, the only other real issue I have with the Gen 4 RX is the operation of the adaptive headlamps. After auto-dipping they do not revert to main beam until your speed rises to about 40mph. This means that, if like me you live in a rural area, turning off a main road (with headlights dipped due to opposing traffic) into a country lane you drive into a pool of darkness and therefore do not get up to the required speed. In the automatic mode, you have no way of overriding to put main beam on. Last winter, I stopped using the AHBC for this reason.

I also don't use the lane departure warning as it is very annoying on country roads.

I don't have any issues with the relation of the car to the map - I think yours might need calibrating. 

I also don't have the adaptive headlights but the auto high beams are OK but tends to get confused sometime - not any different to other cars Ive found though so I think the technology itself is flawed.

the lane keep assist is fine for me - again, I only use it on motorways as that was its intended purpose I think. Problem with country roads is they're so narrow that half the car is so close to the line anyway that itll set it off.

• 4 weeks later...

In reply to the OP, I have found that if you press the map button twice in quick succession the screen goes straight to the map display and bypasses the nav menu screen.

15 hours ago, malcolmw said:

In reply to the OP, I have found that if you press the map button twice in quick succession the screen goes straight to the map display and bypasses the nav menu screen.

Brilliant tip, thanks.

My next issue is that I can only select Map or Compass on the map configuration screen, options 3, 4 & 5 are greyed out. The manual says "Depending on the conditions, certain configuration screen buttons cannot be selected". Can anyone tell me what those conditions are and how I can activate the disabled options.

Many thanks in advance.

Map Config.JPG