Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Braking sound

jido

I had the car for a few days only, I don't know if that is normal. 

When I am braking at low speed (maneuvering to park) the car does a dull "thud" sound.

I requested the garage to look at it, just in case. 

Groaning brakes is a common thing on hybrids, as they aren't worked hard due to regenerative braking at higher speeds. 

No harm in getting them checked though

I'd say groaning brakes are common on Automatics in general, I find my IS300h to be quite similar to my Saab 9-5 Aero in respect to slight groaning of the brakes, but maybe its my driving style where I've always been light on the brakes as I always try to ease off the gas rather than brake aggressively, this resulted in reasonable mpg from the big Saab,.

Vince

The dull thud you mention is something which I have never noticed on either the Prius or CT. Do you have something rolling around in the boot? That sort of dull thud?

• 4 weeks later...

When I first heard that sound on downhill when was pushing brake pedal at slow speed (in traffic queue) and when I released brake pedal it went with that strange sound I scared **** out of my self, thought something is wrong, but no.. save your time. Unfortunately it is "normal" brake sound. Still can check the brakes tho if you want.   

Last time I checked, groaning is different to a thud

Get it checked out, might be brakes sticking a bit.

These cars do get sticking parking brakes from time to time, especially in colder weather.

• Like 1