Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interesting IsF Article

Found this very informative article regarding the updates the isF had to its steering and suspension for 2011 onwards.

It was far more detailed than I realised with many changes and revisions made, lots of  pictures explaining it all in detail.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2011-lexus-is-f-suspension-walkaround.html

Big Rat

• Like 5

That was a good read and written by someone who knows his stuff. It begs the question though when buying in the UK, how do we know we are buying a later car that has the optimised suspension/steering. It seems the MY is not a clear guide to the updates you can see, letalone those you cannot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Didn't understand all of it but interesting read. Would like to know exactly how to change my car to later spec, especially at the rear 🤔

@Rusty Crobar Russ in all honesty it would probably be cheaper having regard the costs of parts and labour, simply to change the car for a later one, a diff alone - even if you could find one - sold on the Aussie site a while back for nearly 2K.

Anyway yours has still got at least another 100k in it before a suspension refresh 😂

🐀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mondie said:

That was a good read and written by someone who knows his stuff. It begs the question though when buying in the UK, how do we know we are buying a later car that has the optimised suspension/steering. It seems the MY is not a clear guide to the updates you can see, letalone those you cannot.

@mondie That's a good point Simon, the parts dept at Bristol have been helpful when I was sourcing stuff for another member who resides overseas, his car is registered twixt the various updates but they were able to establish which were the relevant parts for the car.

I would imagine as I've mentioned to @Rusty Crobar above it would be a nightmare and an expensive one at that to update an earlier car to an updated spec, not something I would consider.

Big Rat

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Rusty Crobar Russ in all honesty it would probably be cheaper having regard the costs of parts and labour, simply to change the car for a later one, a diff alone - even if you could find one - sold on the Aussie site a while back for nearly 2K.

Anyway yours has still got at least another 100k in it before a suspension refresh 😂

🐀

There was an official Lexus LSD for sale on eBay a few months ago but I don't remember what it was on for.  There are a few from Japan/US on there now but they're quite expensive.  Not sure whether you'd have to make any other changes for the car to get the maximum benefit from it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Being the least technical person on this forum, I have to (innocently) ask, does any of this matter? 

@Flytvr You've answered your own question in the first 8 words 😂

🐁

• Like 1

I'mthinking more about increasing the rear camber but the article can't confirm exactly what parts were changed to do this. 

I think swapping the bushes is worthwhile but I'd only do that when mine are knackered 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

I'mthinking more about increasing the rear camber but the article can't confirm exactly what parts were changed to do this. 

I think swapping the bushes is worthwhile but I'd only do that when mine are knackered 😀

@Rusty Crobar Dispite what I said about costs and so on I think rebushing is another matter and is of real benifit whether for just road use or track as well.

When my 996 Turbo was uprated to GT2 power/Torque had the whole car rebushed as well - shocks had been done as well - it made a massive difference.

So my front tyres are 2.5 years old from the documentation, Bridgestones and as I've mentioned before they have worn evenly across their full width for 19000 miles- until the last week or so saw 400 Mile trip last week and yes you've guessed it the dreaded wear on the inside shoulders. 

So the Lexus OEM Ones with the harder compound and camber adjustment are on the cards.

Big Rat

• Like 2