Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My NSR roof trim that finishes at the boot lid keeps popping up :sad:

Only the last 4-6" or so, it'll pop back in place but it won't stay put.

I had a search and seen a few threads on the US forum, here's a sample pic from a 2nd Gen GS (mine's 3rd Gen)...

80-img_5243_be2447640c61379b41832a9b3dc0

Before I take a closer look at mine, has anyone removed their roof trim and know what clips are used/likely to be broken?

Or have they managed to stick the trim back with something like 3M double sided tape/similar?

Thanks in advance...

Lee

Down the rear window there are 5 special clips that are one use only  6 on the top over the doors then 4 +1 down the front screen the first one being handed the rest fit on both sides

the top ones are stuck on  with the tape built on to them but the rear window and screen ones fit onto a special clip on a pop rivet so that part will be alright these clips shove on to this collar and lock on and being plastic they break on removal

mine was same as yours not as bad but was down front screeen i took it to my local toyota dealer and after ordering clips they  were 2  quid each fittd them while i watched in less than 10 minutes i thought  i could have done that

this is how it should be according to the lad work from over doors and work back releasing the clips as these come of easy he did it with his fingers  when you get to the clips down the window you need the tool to release the moulding out of the clip working down  be careful with the moulding its stainless steel with vynil wrap on it it is not painted however if you can see the clip that is broken just change it but bear in mind its one use get them from the dealers and you will see straight away how they fit

refitting you work back  from the bottom one to the top

to test this i took of my pass side one useing  his method and never broke one and it went back perfect they charged me 20 quid to fit them 10 min job i do not jest

hope that helps you Lee

Robert

• Like 1

Robert / @KayCee, thanks for the info that's been very helpful. The 1-use clips are a pain tho.  I'm surprised the dealer was so helpful and provided a cost effective solution, result :cool: 

FYI: the pic above isn't of my car :wink3: Mine only had a small kick up at the rear, so I guess just one clip is busted.

On 23/07/2017 at 7:37 AM, KayCee said:

Lee

Down the rear window there are 5 special clips that are one use only  6 on the top over the doors then 4 +1 down the front screen the first one being handed the rest fit on both sides

the top ones are stuck on  with the tape built on to them but the rear window and screen ones fit onto a special clip on a pop rivet so that part will be alright these clips shove on to this collar and lock on and being plastic they break on removal

mine was same as yours not as bad but was down front screeen i took it to my local toyota dealer and after ordering clips they  were 2  quid each fittd them while i watched in less than 10 minutes i thought  i could have done that

this is how it should be according to the lad work from over doors and work back releasing the clips as these come of easy he did it with his fingers  when you get to the clips down the window you need the tool to release the moulding out of the clip working down  be careful with the moulding its stainless steel with vynil wrap on it it is not painted however if you can see the clip that is broken just change it but bear in mind its one use get them from the dealers and you will see straight away how they fit

refitting you work back  from the bottom one to the top

to test this i took of my pass side one useing  his method and never broke one and it went back perfect they charged me 20 quid to fit them 10 min job i do not jest

hope that helps you Lee

Robert

My thoughts are that was twenty pounds well spent. I always think that anything involving clips near paintwork is a recipe for a scratch or mark. When I rebuilt a Morris Minor I got the screens professionally refitted to ensure that the rare and expensive stainless trims weren't damaged and that they fitted neatly. 

• Like 1

Lee

those clips down side are one use only in so much as when they fitted you cant get them off again without breaking them  the top ones are stuck on so you could possibly reuse them if you restuck them

I was just saying if you try to take them off from bottom up they will break but top to bottom you can see the little tongue thingy that goes into the clip and release it without breaking the clip.

And as Les said it was worth it for the tech to do it for 20 which was a result but it was from the toyota garage im sure Lexus would have doubled that

Robert

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links