Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT 20k mile review

Ian J. Parsley

My household is theoretically the owner of three current Lexus models until the end of the month (see signature). I thought I'd do a brief review of each on the relevant thread, essentially aimed at helping people considering. 

Model

My wife bought a CT200h Advance in March 2016. This is thus the facelifted model with regular satnav, cruise control, heated seats and front/back sensors; it lacks the premier options or extra satnav-related features (like reversing camera, leather or pre-crash alert). 

Interior

I have very mixed views on this.

The steering wheel is outstanding, in wonderful leather. There is also some nice quality padding. Passengers are generally positive about it, and I do like the overall design a lot.

But there is far too much plastic in there for a so-called premium model, particularly on the passenger side. This leads to frustrating rattles too. (It is almost like someone gave up once they moved away from the cockpit and gear lever. A pity.)

Storage is ok, although the cup holders have no grip so more rattles of you have a flask or narrow bottle in them. 

Exterior

A hatchback, sorry, compact car is what it is, but I do like this one particularly post-facelift. My own favourite angle is the side. 

Infotainment 

The infotainment is packed with potential but doesn't really fulfil all of it. 

The satnav is good, for me; clear enough (although there is no help in the dash itself, unlike in rival models like the A3) and ok to use with the rotary dial once you get used to it. 

The radio is, well, a bit meh. Sound is ok but no better. The most frustrating aspect is the inability simply to flick through all DAB stations; you have to change between groupings (regional, national etc) or stick to six presets. An unnecessary and frankly incomprehensible rigmarole. 

Driving

For what it is, a front-wheel drive small car, I personally find this ok. It's not exactly a hot hatch, but suspension is not the worst by any means. Progress is notably quite quiet, even at higher speeds but particularly around town. There is a hint of premium comfort even at this end of the scale. 

Just one slight issue is the incredibly small size of the hybrid petrol tank. Requires frequent stops, as you will rarely get much more than 30l in.

Reliability

Excluding an immediate satnav failure (sorted quickly and impressively by the dealer) and some idiot opening a door on to the side damaging the paintwork, there have been no issues at all and not even a hint of a problem. 

Consumption is quite good for what is in effect a 2l petrol - 53mph this summer, down to around 49mpg in the winter. (See other threads for comparison.)

Summary

If this were a carwow review, I'd suggest "consider". 

To be honest, I can't help but think that if you really want a premium compact car there are better out there; and there are non-premium cars which do most things this one does (with better infotainment).

For all that, it is something different, the customer service is good, and it won't let you down. 

IMG_0234.PNG

• Like 3

A detailed and we'll written review.

I agree with your views on the interior and im disappointed Lexus haven't come out with an all new model as surely it would be popular.

I'm not so sure on the ride of the Advance. I found it incredibly firm, more so than my 3RX F Sport and much more than my 4RX F Sport. My wife's IS F Sport feels about the same as my 4RX. 

I find that my sons Golf manages to be the same size with better suspension and more useable space although it's not as smooth

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links