Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 40k mile review

My household is theoretically the owner of three current Lexus models until the end of the month (see signature). I thought I'd do a brief review of each on the relevant thread, essentially aimed at helping people considering. 

Model

This was a MY14 IS300h Lux, registered July 2013. It was in fact the first 3rd gen IS in Northern Ireland. 

Lux trim added leather and auto sound control ("fake gears") with paddles; and this one had Premium Nav (including remote journey planner, DVD player and reverse camera with full guidelines). It lacked extras such as HUD, electric/memory seats and lane guidance. 

Interior

Initially I really liked the interior and the materials oozed quality and stood the test of time. The seats are extraordinarily comfortable and the analogue clock adds a touch of call. The touch sensors for the climate control were good and utile.

The dash display is fine; nothing to write home about but a few nice touches like the change to regular layout in sport mode.

I must say, over time I came to find the central section a little bland, almost like something straight out of a Casio wris****ch. 

Storage is ok; there is a large centre console (for the rear-wheel drive) with plenty of space. One problem is the cup holders are single size and too far back. Boot space is fine too, but the boot lid just lacked quality and really just had to be slammed down. Storage is somewhat limited in the back, however; this is compensated for by a nice arm rest.

Exterior

This is subjective of course, but I think the IS is a superb-looking car, particularly but not only from the front. 

Infotainment

This is not a Lexus strong point; the nav map looks a bit old and some of the options take so,e working out - it took me weeks to work out how to turn the voice off but leave turn-by-turn instructions on the dash on.

A major and frustrating omission is volume control. I had this on a 1998 Volvo! I know the IS is quiet, but I still found myself shuffling the volume on my music regularly at higher speed to counter the slight road noise.

For all that, it does basically work, the DAB worked fine for the most part, and the DVD screen quality was outstanding. Also, I did like the split screens on the nav.

Driving

Without reservation, I found this a superb car to drive, contrary to many of the UK reviews. The turning circle was staggeringly good; steering was direct; yet the ride was generally comfortable. With the modes and the paddles I found I could drive the same route two very different ways. 223bhp also moves you away swiftly when you want to - but it is all so pleasant because it is so gloriously quiet (with even wind deflectors contributing to the silence) you often don't. Really terrific, for me.

The engine is terrific too, and the "growl" referred to in reviews is simply non-existent. But turn the ASD off; it's a gimmick!

Reliability

Not a single problem beyond the odd infotainment hitch. Tyres are repaired for free too. The car also remained in good nick inside and out - the next owner will scarcely believe it has 40k miles on it. 

Out of interest, I tended to average around 48mpg in the summer and 45mpg in the winter (see other reviews on other threads for comparison).

Summary

For anyone in the market for a mid-range premium family saloon, I recommend a test drive unreservedly. 

Infotainment lets the car down a little; others are now moving well ahead. Also, the hybrid isn't quite the obvious economical option it was four years ago with plenty of outright electric now on the market. 

However, for comfort and quality (and in my view looks), I don't think the IS can be beaten. It remains a great financial proposition particularly as a business car, and for reliability and customer service it is a clear class leader. 

IMG_0233.PNG

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts after 40k. I still think the IS is good looking and still looks futuristic.

With regard to volume control, do you mean the audio or the sat nav? Wife's definitely has the audio control at speed which counters the slight road noise. You can hear the volume going up very slightly and down again mainly on and off the motorway. Think its called sound levelizer or something like that.

Yes, that's what I mean by volume control. I noted at the time it only came with ML. 

I can't speak for current or subsequent specs, and my NX does seem to have it (even though I don't see it on the list).

14 hours ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

Yes, that's what I mean by volume control. I noted at the time it only came with ML. 

I can't speak for current or subsequent specs, and my NX does seem to have it (even though I don't see it on the list).

Ours is an early 63 plate with Premium nav and has it so I would assume its also on the other models.

You had to go into the audio settings and then click on the next tab where it gives you options for surround and leveliser. I would think its the same on the NX too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links