Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Actual cost of spare key for gs450h

The car price is very reasonable, so I don't mind the extra cost, maybe knocking something off; my main concern is that I couldn't get a second key made, making the car a very heavy paperweight without one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you lose the only key, it costs thousands to sort it.

Insist on a spare key or make your offer reflect that you're going to have to spend up to £500 to replace it.

I didn't know my 2008 had one key until the deal was done and dusted because I never thought to ask. Living with one key is a nightmare. 

• Like 1

Hi Lockeyboy.

Back in 20015 when I bought my 2008 facelift 450h SE I only had one key, couldnt believe how someone could lose such a thing. I went to the local Lexus dealer in Norwich who were very helpful and I purchased a Key and transmitter which came to a total of £237.88 including VAT. That did have a 15% owners club discount on.

If its any help the part numbers were

L69515-50240-84 - Key cut £33.61 +vat

L89904-50C40 - Transmitter £199.60 +vat

So without discount it would have been £279.85

Not sure as mines the facelift if that makes much difference but hope that helps you decide or barter.

Good luck

• Like 2

If the car is worth it, then missing a spare key isn't the end of the world.

As you say, the vendor should be giving you some wiggle room on the price.

Can't you recode a new key/fob via Techstream (£20)?

• Like 1

Might have to take that one offline with you Lee, I've no idea what techstream is.

im putting a deposit down today and the vendor is dropping the price a little too so hopefully everyone is happy!

• Like 1

Excellent, glad you found yourself a nice steed.

I'm still looking into this Techstream malarky myself but as it's so cheap it's gotta be worth a punt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Excellent, glad you found yourself a nice steed.

I'm still looking into this Techstream malarky myself but as it's so cheap it's gotta be worth a punt.

It is indeed very good. However, beware because you can do some permanent damage with it too. YouTube is a good source of knowledge about using it because almost anything you want to do with it will have been done and videoed by someone else :biggrin:

• Like 2

....  it concerns me about only having the one key, not just coz if you lose that one then you're totally scuppered BUT the likelihood of the car being a car finance snatchback or stolen and recovered ........  hence missing keys !

Just a thought

Malc

• Like 1

The dealer who sold me the car said it came with one key but I contacted the previous owner who said he traded it to a Merc dealer. I contacted them but never received a reply. So my spare key has probably been binned.

I bought my car last year with only one key. The one owner of the car I phoned before I bought it, had already lost several keys (he had to stop driving due to Parkinson's). He tried to hunt in his house, as did his wife, as he thinks the other keys were lost there - but no joy. 

I think it cost me around £280 all in, with discount to get the key fob, key cut, and then coding (both keys done). The spare is safely well stored away!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

I bought my car last year with only one key. The one owner of the car I phoned before I bought it, had already lost several keys (he had to stop driving due to Parkinson's). He tried to hunt in his house, as did his wife, as he thinks the other keys were lost there - but no joy. 

I think it cost me around £280 all in, with discount to get the key fob, key cut, and then coding (both keys done). The spare is safely well stored away!!

I'd bought an ls last year (£600!) with only one key, the seller tracked both the spare and grey master key and posted them to me free of charge!

i think I'll have to bite the bullet with this one but I've been driving my accord for a year with only one key with no problems so far, I was quoted £120 for that key (remote fob inc boot) but the guy never turned up: I've not bothered since 

Ok, I admit that I don't have a GS450h, nor have I ever had a 'smart key', but I refuse to believe that the only option is to pay the dealer over £300. There are a few YouTube vids showing locksmiths (as opposed to Lexus main dealers) programming keys, even the 'lost all keys' scenario, so they may be a cheaper option. And I also remain to be convinced that the Techstream software can't do it either but I admit that it's looking less likely that it can.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Ok, I admit that I don't have a GS450h, nor have I ever had a 'smart key', but I refuse to believe that the only option is to pay the dealer over £300. There are a few YouTube vids showing locksmiths (as opposed to Lexus main dealers) programming keys, even the 'lost all keys' scenario, so they may be a cheaper option. And I also remain to be convinced that the Techstream software can't do it either but I admit that it's looking less likely that it can.

I didn't believe it either but as the owner of what's affectionately called in the trade "a wonkey  donkey" I do now. I bought a spare key fob and blank key on eBay. then I must have phoned every auto lock smith in the country and still I only have one key, over two years later.

If anyone can sort this besides the dealers, he's doing a very poor job advertising his business.

Techstream can code the car to a new fob. It can also remove lost fobs from the cars memory so that if some unscrupulous person tries to take your car away it will not work. The fob is not programmed to the car it is the car that is programmed to the fob.

The problem with second hand fobs is that fobs have a rolling code, and after a given number of operations of the fob on another vehicle it cannot be reset to the beginning, and will not be recognized by a different cars ECU.

John. 

• Like 2

Sorry that I am late to this topic, but my previous Lexus also had only one key which was a little worrying given my wife's habit of putting down keys almost anywhere when coming into the house.

I am sure there was a discussion on here a few years back that recommended an independent person, in the Midlands I think, who was doing this somewhat cheaper, though it would of course mean taking the car there for programming. I did ring and confirm the details with him, but I changed the car before I got the key cut. My current car has three keys, including one that is safely in my drawer, for when my wife finally loses hers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Hartland said:

Sorry that I am late to this topic, but my previous Lexus also had only one key which was a little worrying given my wife's habit of putting down keys almost anywhere when coming into the house.

I am sure there was a discussion on here a few years back that recommended an independent person, in the Midlands I think, who was doing this somewhat cheaper, though it would of course mean taking the car there for programming. I did ring and confirm the details with him, but I changed the car before I got the key cut. My current car has three keys, including one that is safely in my drawer, for when my wife finally loses hers.

Sounds like my wife!

ill do some digging, I'd checked with a locksmith near me who do this type of thing but specifically not lexus sadly

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2017 at 5:45 PM, royoftherovers said:

Try these people Mark.If they cannot help you, they may know someone who can !

http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/

Regards

John

I have contacted them but they haven't responded, then i called locksmith london near and they helped me out by providing the new spare.

• Like 1