Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good evening guys,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on my situation regarding my ls430. 

She has developed a banging? maybe a Thud might be a better way to explain it, when it goes into gear this can be on my drive way or on the motorway when I take my foot of the accelerator pedal she thuds kinda forward and then from the back when I or the cruise control starts accelerating again I remember having something like this a long time ago on a bike but that was a rubber bushing in the wheel...... of course its not going to relate to this i'm just rambling on, any help on this would be most helpful as I love my car and I don't want to get rid of it anytime you know before I die.

many thanks John 

Another possibility might be wear and play in the universal joints on the prop shaft. Put the car on some ramps and twist the prop shaft backwards and forwards to see if there is any play or movement. If there is, this might show up as a clunk or thud on acceleration or deceleration.

Thanks guys, that sounds about right to me.

I will buy all the mounts engine, trans  hmm i think I remember buying that rubber joint for the propshaft some time ago but never fitted it,

I guess now's a good time. 

Thanks again for your help

Be interested to know what the quote is for changing your engine mounts. I've just had the gearbox mount done which was the easy part...if the engine mounts are anything like the Soarer V8 then it is a bugger of a job.

Just inspected the transmission mount I had changed. At 71,000 miles the transmission mount that came off was in perfect condition. No damage or tears to the rubber. The only thing was slight compression from original specs but still pretty good going.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so update time..... I hope you guys are having a good weekend.

I (with help) have changed the engine and gear box mounts... no easy feat with an lpg kit stuck on the engine we had to drop the subframe as loads of pipes were in the way top side which stopped us raising the engine also we had to take off the steering rack and a load of other bits.

Anyways after 2 days of maximum effort  it was complete.

I drove it away only to hear a clunk and feel a kick in the bum (also felt a little rage I think I may have driven it into a tree to teach it a lesson But i think it may have hurt a bit)

So back to the drawing board, now thinking rear diff/ mount or gearbox.

anyone got any ideas which dont involve fire... im having those already :)

Hi yeah it's struck down well.

I'm gonna get under it today and check the prop shaft I'm hoping there is some play and I need a new diff I think that's easier to fix than a gear box

Allan 

Check out all the suspension bushes on the rear with a close look at the trailing arm bushes on the body fastening if you can wiggle the arm at all the bush is very worn, the fastenings are under compression at all times so they will look tight even if worn.

I had this issue on my Mark 1 Ls400 and it turned out to be the trailing arm bushing both sides completely shot in the end but by that time I was getting vibration at certain speeds.

The clunk sound was identical to your description.

The suspension on the LS430 is updated but the components are similar

Like Phil, I had a clunk from one trailing arm bush so definitely worth checking them. I don't think Lexus do the bushes separately. I bought a new trailing arm from Amayama in Japan which worked out quite a bit cheaper than buying a new one from Lexus, even after paying postage and customs expenses.

If there is movement in all the rubber, I would replace the trailing arm as a first step before doing anything else. This may well cure the problem. I would check both trailing arms - the other one may have similar wear, although not necessarily, as only one arm needed replacing on my 1996 car and the other one was (and still is) fine.

Allan

Looking at that pic I would say your problem is identified. 

We changed the bushing  back then with a tool we made to extract the old bushing and inserted a new bushing bought in the USA 

It is now more economical to buy the complete trailing arm with new bushings on both ends as after market suppliers are now supplying at reasonable prices.

Agreed. It's suspension so get new items in there. It hurts, especially when you spend £500 on suspension on a £1000 car (my story recently.) But, running these cars always involves digging deep at some point in the interests of safety and preserving the wonderful attributes of Mr Toyota's best.

• Like 1

The trailing arms are the 48710 and 48720 part no,s, but looking at the pics the  lower control arm looks very suspect. 48730 and 48740.

Make sure when sourcing these parts you give the vin number as the trailing arms have different lengths depending on type of suspension 

430 trailing arm.png

• Like 1

thanks Phil that helps loads. 

I have so far ordered the rear drop links 48830/40 and two of theses as I cant even see any rubber left http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-STRUT-BUSH-FOR-LEXUS-LS430-TOYOTA-CELSIOR-UCF30-2000-2006/122608080463?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

my goodness theses things are hard to find online gonna have to ring around tomorrow.

I found these bushes for the well front and rear http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-LEXUS-LS430-CELSIOR-FRONT-LOWER-TOP-CONTROL-ARM-FRONT-REAR-BUSHES-KIT-/201359494106?hash=item2ee1f60bda:g:pKIAAOSwG-1WxgTy

might just have to replace all the rubber on the whole car its all looking cracked.

do you remember the company you used in the states for the parts? (sorry big ask if it was a long time ago)