Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member looking at RC 300h F SPORT

Muddywheels

Hi - looking at buying my first Lexus after years of being a Land Rover fanatic (hence the username) :wink3:

Going for Azure Blue but deciding whether to go brand new with 8.4% discount and £440 RFL or approved used with £20 RFL :unsure:

Had one for 24hr test drive and loved it :wub:

Ditched JLR last year after 16 years/10 vehicles because I became disillusioned with brand and bought a Mitsubishi phev which I'm keeping for swmbo/winter/diy but I'll be driving the F SPORT 

As a regular contributor on various LR forums and moderator I'm fully aware how good forums are and look forward to making new friends here and sharing :cool:

I've attached pic of the loaner that hooked me thanks to friends who already own Lexus and finally helped me see the light :laugh:

Also attached pic of combo I'm considering ordering - blue with grey interior 

DSC_0878.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

• Like 2

Have you driven an RC-F ?

I like the RC300H and RC200T, but as the price of the RC-F's have dropped so much now then there is not a lot in it between a new RC300H and a second hand low mileage RC-F, with more smiles per mile :cool:

Unless of course you really want a new car then the difference is not so close. 

Nice looking garage in the background !

• Like 1

Cheers Martin 

After years of churning out diesel fumes from my vehicles I'm trying to ease my conscience - hence the phev and hybrid choice now:blush:

I must be getting old :laugh:

The garage is the old hayloft and cart shed at side of our Georgian farmhouse - looks and sounds idyllic but in reality I've got loads of work to do before I can enjoy it really :wallbash:

The phev parks in RH side and the RC will look great in LH side I reckon :cool:

Welcome Paul,

You must have good taste because you have chosen one of the best colour combos. :smile:

I am always of the opinion that you are better off with used approved, but that is my head talking, and my heart has always wanted to try the feel good factor of a new car.  Really helpful, I know. :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks Shahpor

I had decided on used especially as it's second vehicle but the demonstrator I looked at was only £250 cheaper than a new plate in September with grey interior and it's been damaged by multiple users:unsure:

There is another I like used with premium nav/audio and sunroof but it's 2 hours away and done 18k miles - I have travelled 100s of miles for vehicles before only to find they're dogs - I'm a bit ocd about my vehicles :blush:

If you have your heart set on a particular colour combo and model spec, but are shopping used, you will need to be prepared to travel and/or be very patient! 

Good luck with your search :smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

Thanks Shahpor

I had decided on used especially as it's second vehicle but the demonstrator I looked at was only £250 cheaper than a new plate in September with grey interior and it's been damaged by multiple users:unsure:

There is another I like used with premium nav/audio and sunroof but it's 2 hours away and done 18k miles - I have travelled 100s of miles for vehicles before only to find they're dogs - I'm a bit ocd about my vehicles :blush:

Blue/Grey is one of the more common colour combos for the RC. 

If you buy approved used, the cars should be in pretty good nick and any issues sorted before you drive it off. 

There's no two ways about it, financially its almost always better off buying a used car. I recently travelled a 3 hour round trip to get my new RX - was 1 year old and with 12k miles on - £16.5k off list!! 

Also worth remembering that if its at a Lexus dealer, if there's a dealership of the same group closer to you, they'll move it over so you can take a look - bear that in mind as it can be quite handy

Lexus Stockport have a demo with 18k miles on it, sunroof and Premium nav but it has the black interior - they've listed at £32k which would be £4.5k under the discounted RC price. They are part of the RRG group so will bring the car to Lexus Bradford if you want for viewing

If you're not too fussed about the Road Tax, check out the RC200T - Nottingham have one with sunroof listed at £29k.

• Like 1

Apart from preference for blue paint which I think looks :cool:spec is flexible if price is right 

I saw the Stockport used and considering trip to view - didn't know it could be moved nearer so thanks for that 

Looking at condition of 8k mile demo near me I was reluctant to travel for 18k mile used but price and sunroof/premium audio is tempting 

I'm not bothered about sat nav as I've started using Google maps after LR and Mitsubishi systems drove me mad 

The 200 is apparently being discontinued soon and I'm a new convert to phev/hybrid and so far no complaints so would prefer the 300h

Used to swap every 2-3 years but now looking at 3-5 years if reliability matches hype and not LR :wink3:

39 minutes ago, Muddywheels said:

Apart from preference for blue paint which I think looks :cool:spec is flexible if price is right 

I saw the Stockport used and considering trip to view - didn't know it could be moved nearer so thanks for that 

Looking at condition of 8k mile demo near me I was reluctant to travel for 18k mile used but price and sunroof/premium audio is tempting 

I'm not bothered about sat nav as I've started using Google maps after LR and Mitsubishi systems drove me mad 

The 200 is apparently being discontinued soon and I'm a new convert to phev/hybrid and so far no complaints so would prefer the 300h

Used to swap every 2-3 years but now looking at 3-5 years if reliability matches hype and not LR :wink3:

Yes Lexus Bradford would move it closer as its part of the same group as Stockport.

Having said that, Stockport isn't too far away. Speak to Jason Ozanne if you fancy the Stockport one, I bought my last car from him and the condition of their cars is mostly very good. Worth remembering that some of the demos are actually manager owned cars so those ones will be in very good shape. 

most of the demos I have seen are in good nick, the odd few are not and they usually get bunged up in auction once they dont sell for a while.

• Like 1

Think I may call Stockport tomorrow and enquire but having had so many long trips to look at "pristine" Land Rover/Range Rovers that should of been sent to auction I'm not very trusting of car salesman - I'm told Lexus are different and hope to be amazed:unsure:

Most of my family live in the Stockport area so wouldn't be a complete wasted trip if we visit them too

Does anyone know if the Mark Levinson system is worth bothering about?

The sunroof might be nice as we find it dark with black roof lining but can spec grey trim on new which should help

So to recap I'm potentially looking at approx. £4k difference between basic new plate with grey leather and higher road tax or Stockport year old used with 18k miles, £20 RFL and higher spec - decisions decisions:blink:

Mitsubish reduced the PHEV GX4h to keep it below the £40k limit for RFL - Lexus should do same with F Sport - £40270 list with met paint is adding £1240 over following 4 years to RFL:w00t:

Maybe not but I paid £500 pa RFL for years on diesel Range Rovers until I got the phev with free RFL because of the environmental headlines 

I find it hard to swallow now that it was £20 pa but now £440 - mainly because of the metallic paint

I'm also looking at cost during ownership not just purchase price and I'm not paying £40k either after discounts 

I can afford it but I object to being taxed further when I'm reducing my emissions 

In the scheme of things, it's minor.

You're not paying £440 now because of metallic paint but because the Government changed the tax rules.

All part and parcel of owning a (new) car..

14 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

Think I may call Stockport tomorrow and enquire but having had so many long trips to look at "pristine" Land Rover/Range Rovers that should of been sent to auction I'm not very trusting of car salesman - I'm told Lexus are different and hope to be amazed:unsure:

Most of my family live in the Stockport area so wouldn't be a complete wasted trip if we visit them too

Does anyone know if the Mark Levinson system is worth bothering about?

The sunroof might be nice as we find it dark with black roof lining but can spec grey trim on new which should help

So to recap I'm potentially looking at approx. £4k difference between basic new plate with grey leather and higher road tax or Stockport year old used with 18k miles, £20 RFL and higher spec - decisions decisions:blink:

Mark Levinson isn't worth it on the RC in my opinion. The premium nav comes with 8 speakers made by Pioneer and its the same as the one in my wife's IS - I heard little difference between my wife's IS and the loan IS Premier with the ML system - either way, I wouldn't spend anything for it and most owners didn't tick this option as the standard sound system (on premium nav versions) is very good! The RC without premium nav come with the 6 speaker sound system and that one doesn't sound as good.

The cost during ownership will be lower with a used vehicle thats for sure - its not just the £440 you have to worry about but also the depreciation (£5k drop as soon as you drive it off).

Ring Stockport up and ask for Jason Ozanne - he's a good bloke!

• Like 1

I wasn't bothered about adding sat nav because Google maps is better and they soon become outdated but didn't realise it changed sound system :ohmy:

The depreciation when you leave forecourt is a pain but the £4500 discount should help hopefully 

Still probably worth a trip to view Stockport as it's loaded, cheaper price and lower RFL 👍 

4 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

I wasn't bothered about adding sat nav because Google maps is better and they soon become outdated but didn't realise it changed sound system :ohmy:

The depreciation when you leave forecourt is a pain but the £4500 discount should help hopefully 

Still probably worth a trip to view Stockport as it's loaded, cheaper price and lower RFL 👍 

Yes it would but thats only because they are struggling with RC sales - presumably because of the coupe configuration which is less popular than saloons/hatches and the boom of SUVs. 

I'd say - visit Stockport, see how the car is and go from there - They should be giving you a little discount on listed price as well - about £500-£1000 usually

• Like 1

Well made the call to Stockport and waiting for some info back 👍 

Appears to be a Lexus management vehicle and just had 2nd service so don't have to worry about that for a year at least - 2 years warranty remaining which I can extend to 4 years with bogof if I decide to go for it 

Mileage will come down for me as second vehicle - condition is a worry especially with Lexus history - discount yet to be agreed but may help me decide 

Brand new pristine with grey interior is pulling me even with lower spec and higher RFL - I hate buying cars - so many decisions :laugh:

2 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

Well made the call to Stockport and waiting for some info back 👍 

Appears to be a Lexus management vehicle and just had 2nd service so don't have to worry about that for a year at least - 2 years warranty remaining which I can extend to 4 years with bogof if I decide to go for it 

Mileage will come down for me as second vehicle - condition is a worry especially with Lexus history - discount yet to be agreed but may help me decide 

Brand new pristine with grey interior is pulling me even with lower spec and higher RFL - I hate buying cars - so many decisions :laugh:

Don't know why you'd want to extend the warranty - after all, its a Lexus, not an LR :whistling1:

Definitely worth seeing - looks in good nick from the photos, even the interior. Does also seem to have the ML and sunroof. Worth seeing the black interior to see if you like it - I used to have that interior on my previous RX - the white dots and stitching certainly look the business and much better than just standard black.

• Like 1

17 years of LR ownership is enough to make anyone want a warranty but I get your point :laugh:

Had black with ivory stitch on my last Range Rover Sport and it looked superb - however looked at Black interior local to me and SWMBO didn't like it especially with Black roof lining and she doesn't like the Aztec Blue either which I'm fighting tooth and nail for so the grey may help my case as it lightens the interior as will the sunroof I presume:unsure:

Now informed the used has some wear to seat bolster and stone chips to front and offered more discount on the new so looking like local shiny Sep plate for me:wub:

2 hours ago, Muddywheels said:

17 years of LR ownership is enough to make anyone want a warranty but I get your point :laugh:

Had black with ivory stitch on my last Range Rover Sport and it looked superb - however looked at Black interior local to me and SWMBO didn't like it especially with Black roof lining and she doesn't like the Aztec Blue either which I'm fighting tooth and nail for so the grey may help my case as it lightens the interior as will the sunroof I presume:unsure:

Now informed the used has some wear to seat bolster and stone chips to front and offered more discount on the new so looking like local shiny Sep plate for me:wub:

Ah yes, stone chips will happen - I wonder if its worse when they're already on a car or when you find one the next day after a trip?

I wonder what they mean by seat bolster wear - Ive taken a look at the pics and they seem pretty good to me! Knowing Stockport, they'e probably just told you about one crease and made it seem worse than it is!

I appreciate all the advice posted - it's really helped 👍 

At the end of the day the distance, mileage, history and condition took the edge off the used option for me and I've decided to go for the new F SPORT on a 67 plate with September delivery - the revised deal from local dealer is too good to turn down and I know I'll be happier with the shiny unblemished car - I especially like the grey interior with blue bodywork :cool:

So looks like I'm going to be spending more time here soon which will drive swmbo mad I'm sure :laugh:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You'll definitely not regret the colour. I was tending towards a grey NX when SWMBO demanded, sorry requested, azure blue. Outstanding in every sense. 

For what it's worth, in this case I'd say you were probably better going new. Certainly the best you can do financially is a great pre-owned, but guaranteeing that is never straightforward. I swore I'd never buy new until my last, but in the end the security was worth it. And there are plenty of discounts about. 

Look forward to the pics!

• Like 1