Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Three likes/dislikes

I'm not keen on car reviews really but Carwow's do have an interesting aspect of "five likes and dislikes", which are often fun and quirky. 

If we maybe limit it to three for each model, what are ours?

For my NX after 1000 miles, I would say:

Dislikes

The auto tailgate is unbelievably slow, meaning I am always far enough away from it upon closing that I need the key to lock the car (rendering the keyless bit pointless). 

The remote control for the infotainment is too keen to think you are swiping and pinching when you are merely moving. 

The front pillars are too broad, limiting visibility at corners. 

The nav distinguishes between expressways and regular dual carriageways, which may be useful in unfamiliar locations but in particular shows a fine attention to detail. 

The adaptive cruise control maintains current speed until you straighten up - this is an excellent detail as it enables you to follow a car on windy roads without attempting to speed back up to the straightaway speed. 

There is a beautifully finished handrest in the centre console. 

Over to other owners...

Dislikes:

Having to go back to set up to turn Sat Nav volume on/off. Too many buttons to do this, there should have a one press option. 

If the radio is on quite loud  the Sat Nav voice cannot be heard. 

Back door seals get really dirty. 

Lovely seats.

The high quality of the interior.

I paid extra for a panoramic sunroof, which makes the interior nice and bright on a dull day. 

Dislikes...

Even thou most of the rear lamp is LED Lexus still use conventional bulbs for the indicators and reverse lamp.

Lovely LED dipped headlamp, crappy halogen main beam.

DAB radio very difficult to initially tune in.

Likes...

Radar cruise control.

Wonderful seats

The fact it actually comes with a spare wheel, rather than the more common inflation kit.

On 30/07/2017 at 8:44 AM, Adrian28 said:

Dislikes...

Even thou most of the rear lamp is LED Lexus still use conventional bulbs for the indicators and reverse lamp.

Lovely LED dipped headlamp, crappy halogen main beam.

DAB radio very difficult to initially tune in.

Likes...

Radar cruise control.

Wonderful seats

The fact it actually comes with a spare wheel, rather than the more common inflation kit.

I think your dislikes regarding lights will be non existent when the facelift is available. Also doesn't the high beam depend on what spec you buy? I think theyre LED if you get the F Sport and above

Refinement

Seating comfort

Handling

Dislikes

Needs a bigger engine

Ride over short sharp ridges, eg expansion joints, etc

Power bootlid opens and closes far too slowly

On 7/25/2017 at 11:41 PM, Goggy said:

Dislikes:

Having to go back to set up to turn Sat Nav volume on/off. Too many buttons to do this, there should have a one press option. 

If the radio is on quite loud  the Sat Nav voice cannot be heard. 

Back door seals get really dirty. 

Lovely seats.

The high quality of the interior.

I paid extra for a panoramic sunroof, which makes the interior nice and bright on a dull day. 

Yes they really do don't they

On 31/07/2017 at 2:19 PM, rayaans said:

I think your dislikes regarding lights will be non existent when the facelift is available. Also doesn't the high beam depend on what spec you buy? I think theyre LED if you get the F Sport and above

You are quite correct. Full LED lamps are on the F sport and the range topping premier models. I didn't want the F sport as I don't like the seats, and the premier, although very nice, for me it has too many bits that are not really necessary. I went for what I consider to be the best compromise, the luxury model. 

On 8/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, paulrnx said:

Refinement

Seating comfort

Handling

Dislikes

Needs a bigger engine

Ride over short sharp ridges, eg expansion joints, etc

Power bootlid opens and closes far too slowly

Agree entirely with Paul - and with most of everyone else's, which gives me 12 likes and dislikes?  On the like side, I'd have to add the aesthetics: the NX's design is a terrific piece of work, and looks amazingly fresh 3 years from launch. Which means I have some reservations about the change-for-the-sake-of-it facelift, especially the loss of the front-quarter blades, which were a conspicuous feature of the LF-NX concept and which are now interrupted by the sculpting around the DRL/indicator units. Wonder if Nobuyuki Tomatsu entirely approved of this change..

On 8/5/2017 at 8:56 PM, Martin J said:

Agree entirely with Paul - and with most of everyone else's, which gives me 12 likes and dislikes?  On the like side, I'd have to add the aesthetics: the NX's design is a terrific piece of work, and looks amazingly fresh 3 years from launch. Which means I have some reservations about the change-for-the-sake-of-it facelift, especially the loss of the front-quarter blades, which were a conspicuous feature of the LF-NX concept and which are now interrupted by the sculpting around the DRL/indicator units. Wonder if Nobuyuki Tomatsu entirely approved of this change..

Yes, I do like the styling too. Kind of take it for granted but I'm always impressed again when I walk up to it in a carpark or on the driveway.

My main dislike applies to the whole of the Lexus range: the satnav graphics, while clear, are horrid, and the system is far too complicated to use. Yes, you do get used to it, especially if you are familiar with the brand, but why have to trawl through menus to achieve the simplest tasks!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to hijack the thread for a short while....

Has anyone noticed how flimsy the metal is on the roof of an NX? I notice it every time I wash mine. It flexes much more than any other car roof I've ever washed. Feels like it's made out of very thin metal indeed. 

38 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Going to hijack the thread for a short while....

Has anyone noticed how flimsy the metal is on the roof of an NX? I notice it every time I wash mine. It flexes much more than any other car roof I've ever washed. Feels like it's made out of very thin metal indeed. 

Might not be the metal itself but due to nothing underneath supporting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had an NX (300h Luxury, 17 reg with 6,000 miles on the clock) for 3 days whilst my RX went back for the dealer to sort out the dent in the rear nearside passenger door which should have been sorted before I took delivery of the car.  So, from a brief encounter, here are my 3 likes and dislikes:

·         The way the second dial changes from the eco meter to a tacho when you select sport mode.  That’s really cool!

·         Proper control for the heat/vent/air con – much more intuitive than the RX.

·         It came with a full tank of fuel but didn’t have quite so much when it went back!

Dislikes

·         Surprisingly noisy compared to my RX and it certainly doesn’t have a silky smooth V6 engine.

·         The reflection from the metallic surround to the sat nav in the windscreen is just annoying

·         The pale sand coloured seats are not my choice, the colour doesn’t appeal and whilst they were comfortable enough, the armchairs in the RX are better.

• 3 weeks later...

Having now had my NX Sport for just over a day after years with Honda (the last two being CRVs)...

- interior quality. I thought Honda were good. This is a different level.

- a bonnet held up by gas struts rather than a manual stay. A small point but it screams attention to detail and quality.

- how quiet and smooth it is. Almost spooky, even at 70 on the motorway.

Dislikes

- as others have said, a nav system that doesn't drop the radio volume when giving commands (although I love the standard nav, it's far more modern than my previous Honda)

- the lack of an auto dimming rear view mirror. Astonishing on a £35k list price car imho.

- the dab radio can't find a tenth of the stations that my last two Hondas could. Weird...

So far, so very impressed. Which is why I chose it...

• Like 1

If you've the premium nav, the DAB is fiddly, but you'll probably find them all eventually. There's this weird "ensemble" system where they are held in different groupings. A bit of a rigmarole but from memory just pressing radio a few times may work through them? Others may know better. 

9 hours ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

If you've the premium nav, the DAB is fiddly, but you'll probably find them all eventually. There's this weird "ensemble" system where they are held in different groupings. A bit of a rigmarole but from memory just pressing radio a few times may work through them? Others may know better. 

I don't have Premium nav Ian but the process seems to be the same. Fiddly but sure I'll find what I need when I've got more time to play at the weekend.

Not an attempt at a thread hijack, but on a more general note I lament the loss of multi-CD players in cars now. As somebody who doesn't have any kind of downloaded music, it's a real pain for me. Mind you, I still have and use a cassette deck as part of my home separates system...

Thanks @Ian J. Parsley no problem.

Oddly I can now find quite a few stations - although how to store them as pre-sets still eludes me (!) - but cannot find BBC Radio2, 4, 5 or 5X. I can find BBC Radio Wales for some reason. Go figure!

Not a huge issue as I can use FM, and I'd actually forgotten how much I liked the sound compared to the rather compressed nature of digital. My NX is going into the dealer next Friday to have the side protection strips fitted and they've already said they'll go back through anything I haven't been able to work out with me then. This is top of the list, followed by the cruise control...

I can also add a further 'like' after the comment from @Ian M I didn't realise that the eco meter changed to a rev counter until I read that post. Now that IS cool...:yes:

I've just worked it out, and now have the full range of DAB stations. :yahoo:

Setting pre-sets requires first going into manual mode, then selecting 'next ensemble' wait until it picks up a station - then tilt the knob left to go to pre-sets, highlight the number you want, then push and hold the knob down until it beeps and replaces the station that was there previously. Obviously...! 

It also seems as though there are pre-sets for each ensemble set when auto tuned. So actually if I'd worked out how to find the ensembles I probably didn't need to bother! Anyway, I'll likely have the car for at least 4 years and won't ever need to do that again. Hurrah!