Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did Lexus ever fix the HG issue?

mrr1

Hi - I used to have a 220D up till early 2015 when I moved to a Saab 9-3 Aero ragtop. (Much quicker, much better seats and the perfect sunroof.....)

Anyway, during my 220 ownership I experienced the dreaded HG issue but, thankfully, Lexus Leicester came to the rescue with a new short block all shiny and FOC. (and, no, I didn't buy the car from Lexus or have a Lexus FSH - just evidence from my local garage that I had regular oil changes).

Whllst I love my 9-3 I'm looking to move back to a 220D as I may be back on the road & doing high mileages. 

Question: did Lexus ever address the diesel HG issue or are there 220's failing right up til the end of that models life?

Hey,

As far as I know, the only solution they implemented on the 220d was what you had done previously.

It was definitely on a case by case basis, and I suspect the feeling from Lexus is that at the age the cars are now if it was going to fail it would have done it by now.

You hear about it happening less often on here anyway.

I believe the 200d doesn't suffer the same issue if you can stretch to one.

1 hour ago, noby76 said:

Just get a 93 1.9 TTiD?

dual mass flywheel issues............usually around the £1200 mark (& seemingly quite common)

Part of me wants to trust Lexus again but I'm not quite sure...........yet.

Has anyone heard of post 2009 220D's failing?

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Hey,

I believe the 200d doesn't suffer the same issue if you can stretch to one.

whats the difference between the 200D and the 220D? 

Aren't they both 2.2L ?

13 minutes ago, mrr1 said:

whats the difference between the 200D and the 220D? 

Aren't they both 2.2L ?

About 25 bhp.

Is200d is still the 2.2l but in a detuned and more reliable state.

5 hours ago, mrr1 said:

dual mass flywheel issues............usually around the £1200 mark (& seemingly quite common)

Has anyone heard of post 2009 220D's failing?

Thats why I'm a petrol head :wink3:

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 5:29 PM, mrr1 said:

If you want to trust Lexus in your entirety and not part, then don't get diesel. I am now at the point where I would like somebody to run into my IS250 (just kidding), because otherwise I cannot fault it.. furthermore it seems it is indestructible.. so feeling is that I might have to keep it for a while. 168k and gets through full Lexus service check without advisories, by means of only Essential Minor service. Since new never had major job done, I have whole history and it seems the only thing replaced outside of standard serviceable parts were A/C pump and water pump (though water pump is standard service for 100k).

• Like 1

I've heard the same from other 250 owners...

To be honest, though, it's he mpg I'm chasing. My old 93 saab has done 112k, had a wheel bearing replaced and and a front spring that snapped, needs a new ac pump and also a new pcv  valve. She's got 240 something bhp, pulls 0-60 under 8 secs very easy and has, as I've already mentioned, the best seats I've ever come across. For a ragtop she'll happily seat 4 decent sized adults and, if I'm very gentle, return mid thirties mpg (not too bad for an auto). 

Alas work demands mean I need some thing that will return 50+ mpg and not sting me with huge repair bills......

Maybe a ten year old micra. ......?

It depends what type of driving you are doing... If it is motorway I understand why you are after a diesel, but if that is city then hybrids are the only way forward. IS220d never had 50+ MPG and in mixed cycle it does at best 4-6MPG more than IS250. In return for that small MPG gain you have long list of problems to deal with..

From my experience with modern autos they are more fuel efficient anyway, that is probably partially due to my clutch skills... but mid 30's are not a challenge for IS250 either, city.. well yes that is another story 28 if you lucky, but more likely around 26-24 (bare in mind I drive quite aggressively). On motorway 38-40 can be easily achieved. IS220 will be maybe 10-15% more efficient in same conditions... as well it doesn't have auto option (still the weirdest thing about the car to the date to me).

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It depends what type of driving you are doing... If it is motorway I understand why you are after a diesel, but if that is city then hybrids are the only way forward. IS220d never had 50+ MPG and in mixed cycle it does at best 4-6MPG more than IS250. In return for that small MPG gain you have long list of problems to deal with..

From my experience with modern autos they are more fuel efficient anyway, that is probably partially due to my clutch skills... but mid 30's are not a challenge for IS250 either, city.. well yes that is another story 28 if you lucky, but more likely around 26-24 (bare in mind I drive quite aggressively). On motorway 38-40 can be easily achieved. IS220 will be maybe 10-15% more efficient in same conditions... as well it doesn't have auto option (still the weirdest thing about the car to the date to me).

agree totally. A few years back when diesel was approx 10% more expensive than diesel a 250 would cost the same pence per mile as the 220.....

If I were to get a diesel it would have to be the 200d. But then I'd miss the grunt of the 220. 

Just wish I could make my damn mind up.

47 minutes ago, peachy said:

Personally I would opt for the 200D as it's much more reliable and to me that's better than having the extra 25 bhp of the 220d.

25hp less is better than nothing at all.... 

8 hours ago, mrr1 said:

Alas work demands mean I need some thing that will return 50+ mpg and not sting me with huge repair bills......

A CT 200h or IS 300h would do that if it isn't outwith your price range?

The CT feels quicker than it is and is bullet proof. The IS 300h would have much better performance but slightly poorer MPG and higher maintenance bills.

IS300h doesn't get up to 50 MPG... It must be said it gets solid 36-38MPG in the city, that is about it. If you ever see 44MPG consider yourself very lucky. I am sure in short stints downhill IS300h can get even 60MPG (there is picture on this forum with IS250 doing 51.9MPG), but that is not the fuel consumtion you can expect in real life for entire tank. In my short ride in CT200h I seen consumtion between 44-51MPG (don't know what it can get with full tank), but overall I would rather get IS200d (yes I disliked the car so much).

Obviously, everyone to their own, but if I don't like IS or RC300h performance you can guess what I think about CT. On the good side CT worked on me like some kind of therapy - after few tries I have realised there is no point pushing the car as nothing will come out of it, so kind of incautiously I started driving very slowly... I guess CT can be used as a punishment for serious speeding offenders which would help to rehabilitate them.

17 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

IS300h doesn't get up to 50 MPG... It must be said it gets solid 36-38MPG in the city, that is about it.

Do you own one? If not then you shouldn't comment about things you don't know about.

@ColinBarber - with all respect I suggest to look to your own signature - http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is300h

What is wrong with my statement saying it won't get 50MPG - that is fact. Now let look further your own stats - Last tank 39.5MPG, best result 43.5MPG.. My statement was that car will do around 38 and you will be lucky to see 44MPG. Again spot on.

I don't need to own the car to know how much fuel it consumes and I have tried it as well so it is not completely theoretical. Honestly, this is not about being not friendly or slating specific car - lets be factual! Finally, I understand that Fuelly might not be that accurate.

Well my actual stats are here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is300h/2013/colin10086/312407

I'd suggest you learn to use fuelly correctly and make sure you are in UK capacities and not American.

My best tank is over 52 mpg, and if when I drive a loan vehicle I consistently get 2 or 3 mpg more than my F Sport because of the lighter/smaller wheels and more aerodynamic body. Non F Sports can easily get 55 mpg on a tank.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I guess CT can be used as a punishment for serious speeding offenders which would help to rehabilitate them.

this I like..

so,  here are my  needs;

1 reliable

2 exciting / rewarding to drive

3 very economical

4 8 grand or less

basically, I can only have a max of three at a time...

oops, sorry, forgot one

5 must not be a bmw

51 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I'd suggest you learn to use fuelly correctly and make sure you are in UK capacities and not American.

That is fair enough... I now know how to use Fuelly... but can you actually claim it to be 50+ MPG car. I know that with my driving it isn't, I know as well that if you try to be very careful you can get "just" about 50... but does it apply to average driver? According to Fuelly (and I am using it correctly now) that is not the case - the long term consumtion varies between 39.5 and 45.6MPG, so not exactly 50+

Fair point.. the more you drive Lexus hybrid the more it converts you to specific style which promotes fuel efficient driving. I don't see this as a band thing - again that works like a therapy for me, but other side of me takes that as a punishment and after few hours in the car it starts making me furious (just not very fast).

@mrr1 What type of driving you are doing?

25 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

@mrr1 What type of driving you are doing?

mixture of motorways, town work, b roads. Occasional foot down blasts (usually incited by d!@£heads in bmws).  

7 hours ago, mrr1 said:

mixture of motorways, town work, b roads. Occasional foot down blasts (usually incited by d!@£heads in bmws).  

Well I think we have established that a Lexus is unlikely to fit the bill unless you compromise on 2 or 3 points. 

If you don't need a big car the I'd spend 7k on a Suzuki Swift Sport (2013) and keep the rest for fuel and servicing. I used to average about 40mpg in mine. Reliable and last of the non turbo small fun hatches. 

14 hours ago, mrr1 said:

this I like..

so,  here are my  needs;

1 reliable

2 exciting / rewarding to drive

3 very economical

4 8 grand or less

Sure an IS250 manual/auto will fit this bill? depending on how long you looking to keep the vehicle, spend around £4-£5K on one and use the rest saved for fuel will def work out cheaper in fuel bills alone over 3.5 years than buying an £8k diesel returning 50 mpg and running it over the same period.?