Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just passed the MOT with only advisory (again) the rear Springs corrosion.  Somewhat hesitant when it comes to taking off wheels. Could tart them up. I do have two new springs but I fear that the current £50 springs will not necessarily last any distance.  Am I wrong on this? One hears so many stories - don't yur know!

I take a spring with me on our French trips just in case one should go (not to mention a host of other parts - Serpentine belt, Starter motor repair kit, 12mm tubing/ compression fitments for P/S oil cooler lines etc, etc)  All under the Mat.

I booked a time with my mechanic tomorrow - just in case of a fail - but doubt he'll want to tart up the springs.  Don't have a level surface to work on, just bricks in sand, so reluctant to raise car despite having all the necessary Jacks and equipment (well thats my excuse!) . 

Ps to the handbrake issue. Car passed wiohout worry (used every time car parked) and reluctant to put on new set of shoes (even though I have a set) as grip when new is often less effective. So until a fail on this, yet another unused part.

• Like 5

Can't you get  under the car and clean the springs up with a small wire brush, then give them a coat of rust inhibitor?

I'd be surprised if it's anything more than surface rust.

10 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Can't you get  under the car and clean the springs up with a small wire brush, then give them a coat of rust inhibitor?

I'd be surprised if it's anything more than surface rust.

Just had a word with my Mechanic who took a look and said probalby not worth the effort unless you have flexible paint.

As it happens I do have a tin of Beige flexible paint bought for a £1 at a yard sale.  Not sure if I'll bother.

This may interest members, being a fan of Maxxis.

I put on four new tyres when I bought the Lexus wheels. This is the tread wear report

Tyre brand                   Outer         Middle     Inner

Maxxis n/s/ front           8.0              8.0           8.0

Maxxis  o/s front           8.0             8.0           8.0

Nexen  n/s rear            5.0              5.0           5.0

Nexen  o/s rear             5.5              5.5           4.5

Its always been my intention to replace the rear with Maxxis in due course.  Interesting how much the rears have worn where I would have expected the fronts to have worn??  Promise I don't do doughnuts!!

A quick wire brush down and a coat of waxoyl or similar wax-based rust inhibitor should avoid any future advisories on the springs - probably better than flexible paint, as it doesn't matter with wax-based products if there is some grease or dirt/dust on the springs. 

• Like 2

I had a number of MOT advisories on my '05 LS400 for rusty springs. It would have been much more useful to have been warned of rust to rear sub frame and sills occurring at same time.

Springs can be replaced but not main structure.

Worth having a look see and throwing any rust treatment at the problem rather than scraping an otherwise good car as happened to me.

• Like 1

The old Backs been rather tested in the last fortnight having had to drill through a two foot granite wall with a metre long bit and two different size corers, one being eighteen inches long.  It doesn't like being in a crouch position for more than a few minutes  or I have a hell of a job straightening up.

So, as much as examining and doing the tidy up job may once have been almost (I say almost) a pleasure, I'm past this stage of enthusiasm for motor maintenance.  Poor old Codger I hear you say - and I can't but agree! Ten years ago a Consultant after looking at my X-ray said "if you can't pee or poo go straight to Hospital".  Well, I've avoided it so far, how I don't really know as I've moved a few White goods at home since then. Guess I just don't think about it, until it reminds me!

Maxxis tyres now being used on mine for a couple of years since the Falkens seemed to become difficult to  obtain ........  no idea of the wear quality but they haven't become a problem for me just yet

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links