Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

This may be a silly question. I need a new rear tyre as I have a slow puncture. The other rear tyre is quite worn (but still well legal) but I'd like to replace two so they are both the same. The two on the front still have plenty of tread but obviously not new. Would you put the two new ones on the back or swap the front ones to the back and put the two new ones on the front?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

The general consensus is to fit tyres with more tread to the rear as loosing the rear is worse than an under steering front end.

It is a complex subject though, especially when you consider the differences between front, rear and all wheel drive.

Here's an interesting article that explains it well; https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/better-tyres-in-the-front-or-rear-test-results

I've recently heard that many modern 4x4's NEED all four tyres replaced together (a good money spinner this) or you risk damage to the vehicles drive train and/or electronics.  But surely tyres wear at different rates and I can't believe systems are so accurate that they don't allow for different wear rates.

I wouldn't be surprise if your query lights up many a keyboard warrior...

• Like 2

Quite a number of awd, 4x4 are recommended to have 4 tyres replaced at same time for equal wear. Never heard of any fwd rwd to have any issues due to unevenly worn tyres.

False claim, money making scam in my opinion.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

Check whether it can be fixed too 

Good point, it could be the TPMS valve.  They are only nipped up to a small torque...

Unless you can see a nail/etc, hopefully not near the shoulder.

• Like 1

It's a weird slow puncture. Only seems to loose pressure overnight. Spent a week driving around Scotland and had to pump the tyre up every morning but it never lost any pressure whilst driving between 4 and 10 hours a day!

15 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Good point, it could be the TPMS valve.  They are only nipped up to a small torque...

Will ask them to check that first. Excellent point, thanks.

Just now, Ala Larj said:

Will ask them to check that first. Excellent point, thanks.

You can easily check for a leak yourself, spray some foamy washing up liquid around the valve and see if it bubbles.

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

The general consensus is to fit tyres with more tread to the rear as loosing the rear is worse than an under steering front end.

It is a complex subject though, especially when you consider the differences between front, rear and all wheel drive.

Here's an interesting article that explains it well; https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/better-tyres-in-the-front-or-rear-test-results

I've recently heard that many modern 4x4's NEED all four tyres replaced together (a good money spinner this) or you risk damage to the vehicles drive train and/or electronics.  But surely tyres wear at different rates and I can't believe systems are so accurate that they don't allow for different wear rates.

Interesting read and quite counter intuitive. I would have though better tyres at the front would reduce the risk of aquaplaning!

2 minutes ago, Farqui said:

You can easily check for a leak yourself, spray some foamy washing up liquid around the valve and see if it bubbles.

Thanks, will try that first. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Am assuming I can tighten it myself?

4 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Interesting read and quite counter intuitive. I would have though better tyres at the front would reduce the risk of aquaplaning!

Just saw the second test which contradicts the first one! Um, not such a sill question after all. Think I may just toss a coin!

24 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Am assuming I can tighten it myself?

Sure but be very careful as it's only nipped up to 5Nm(ish).

Go ahead and see if it's loose by all means. You might find it is and a slight rotation of the spanner nips up the leak (if you're lucky).

1 minute ago, Ala Larj said:

Just saw the second test which contradicts the first one! Um, not such a sill question after all. Think I may just toss a coin!

Isn't the article chopped up into FWD, RWD and AWD 'attributes'?

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

@Farqui You are absolutely right about the fitting of a new pair to the rear, it is irrelevant whether the car is FWD-RWD-FOUR Wheel drive. Adopt the adage 'Best to back' you may say.

Spent a number of years working as a test driver For Michelin on development work when I was a younger man 😏

Big Rat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

It's a weird slow puncture. Only seems to loose pressure overnight. Spent a week driving around Scotland and had to pump the tyre up every morning but it never lost any pressure whilst driving between 4 and 10 hours a day!

Have been thinking (dangerous I know!) about losing pressure overnight and reckon it may be temperature related. My logic being that if it were a nail or something the expansion due to heat would make the hole bigger and therefore more likely to lose air during the day or whilst driving. Expansion around a seal (valve or rim) would seal any gap. So maybe the valve theory is correct. Guessed I'll need to check with bubbles at about 4am! 

Give the valve thread a squirt of WD40 before trying to move it. Slacken it off first then some more WD. The air pressure inside the tyre will hold the valve in place. When it turns smoothly with your fingers tighten it gently and check for leaks with the soap solution.

Just tightening can easily snap off the valve if it is seized. This will cost about £120 at the dealers or half that if you shop around, but the new valve will need to be programmed into the cars computer.

John 

A very good thread here. I was going to ask that question in a few weeks about front or rearfor new tyres. I've always put my new tyres on the front as I've always had FWD cars, using the thought process of the fronts doing the driving,braking and steering. 

Now having the Lexus I wasn't sure where to put the new treads.

Well done @Ala Larj for asking a stupid question.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Britprius said:

There is no such thing as a stupid question, but you can get stupid answers.

John

"A stupid question is a question not asked"

• Like 4