Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone pimped their (450h) ride?

The ClubLexus site has a whoppin' 135 page thread on 3gs wheel choices, should you want to while away a few hours...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/440148-3gs-wheel-thread.html

I'm sure many of you already knew about it, apologies if so.

Can't say that I've seen any that work for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

The ClubLexus site has a whoppin' 135 page thread on 3gs wheel choices, should you want to while away a few hours...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/440148-3gs-wheel-thread.html

I'm sure many of you already knew about it, apologies if so.

Can't say that I've seen any that work for me.

When you've hit 20" you've gone too far!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

When you've hit 20" you've gone too far!

Agreed 19s are the absolute maximum you retain at least some comfort. I think 19s are a good mix between looks and still usable in lexus suspension day to day

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Odysseus said:

Step by step guides are all very well and good but don't take into account the variations people may have with their individual laptops.

From my reading and fiddling about my view is the issue is not the TechStream software itself, but the drivers for the cable necessary to connect to the car.  In short, the cable software doesn't install properly (if at all) on a 64 bit Windows machine, so I had to unpack the installer into a folder via a dos prompt, move this into the right place in the Program Files folder, then run a registry key to get it all sorted.  This seems to do the trick, then you tell TechStream to use the VCI cable to connect to the car.

I can't get it working on my work issued Windows 7 64 bit laptop (despite my being a local admin) as the anti-virus is too aggressive and deletes the necessary dlls.

Clearly we're on shaky legal territory with this kind of thing, but I did note in my web searching that getting a copy of TechStream online would not actually be that difficult.  The cables can be purchased legally for less than the cost of the bundles you see on eBay.  http://www.xhorseshop.co.uk/wholesale/mini-vci-single-cable-for-toyota-support-toyota-tis-oem-diagnostic-software.html

In terms of a newer version of TechStream being available, I think this is no bad thing, however given the "maturity" of our cars, I don't think you'll be looking at any additional functionality, so using something proven to work rather than just the latest version may be prudent.

Thanks for the info unpacking and extracting is no issue, but any chance of a clue as to where in the program folder the required DLL's need to be and which file needs to updated to the registry?

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

Retracting the mirrors when locking the car would be cool, though I must admit I haven't found that option yet and it may not exist.  I'd be extremely happy to be informed by more learned people what's possible and what's not with TechStream based on my car and its age.

Not sure what to suggestion about the centre console reflection. :)  Maybe close the sunroof cover or wear your sunglasses? 

5 pairs and I can't find any!!!

its actually reflecting when the sunroof is closed and covered.

• Like 1

PSA: when using an old laptop for the first time in a loooooong while, first check that the DVD drive will eject a disk :wallbash:

Use ANY old test disk and NOT one that contains new software you want to install! 

20170821_200601.thumb.jpg.78c4744d1dea2d48950a540b04c0c4a1.jpg

This DVD drive was embedded and not the drawer type, it didn't have an eject override and we couldn't force the release arm via a looped paper clip so needed a compete tear down to get into it.

Fortunately YouTube came to the rescue and provided a tear down guide WITH info on putting it all back together again. To our utter amazement the laptop still works, apart from the defunct DVD player.  It's still gawd awful slow tho so is destined for the scrap heap.

This 'event' took up most of my evening but the glass of red afterwards tasted soooo good :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

Anyone ever turbo or supercharge a vs hybrid, or does the di and else stuff get in the way and make it much more of a chore?

Be interested yo see what power gains could be had, especially from a charger, if possible of course.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, Farqui said:

PSA: when using an old laptop for the first time in a loooooong while, first check that the DVD drive will eject a disk :wallbash:

Use ANY old test disk and NOT one that contains new software you want to install! 

20170821_200601.thumb.jpg.78c4744d1dea2d48950a540b04c0c4a1.jpg

This DVD drive was embedded and not the drawer type, it didn't have an eject override and we couldn't force the release arm via a looped paper clip so needed a compete tear down to get into it.

Fortunately YouTube came to the rescue and provided a tear down guide WITH info on putting it all back together again. To our utter amazement the laptop still works, apart from the defunct DVD player.  It's still gawd awful slow tho so is destined for the scrap heap.

This 'event' took up most of my evening but the glass of red afterwards tasted soooo good :tongue_smilie:

Now come on be honest how many little screws did you have left over?

I have an old HP Pavilion lap top that I have had apart so many times to re flow the soldering on one of the chips. I have added extra cooling fins to the copper heat sink tube, and an extra fan. This seems to have cured the problem touch wood. 

This is the laptop I use for Techstream.

John 

7 hours ago, Britprius said:

Now come on be honest how many little screws did you have left over?

I have an old HP Pavilion lap top that I have had apart so many times to re flow the soldering on one of the chips. I have added extra cooling fins to the copper heat sink tube, and an extra fan. This seems to have cured the problem touch wood. 

This is the laptop I use for Techstream.

John 

Haha, I know.  As it started to become an increasing pile of parts I was shocked at how many and just how small the screw were!

No spare screws were left over! AND it booted up first time with screen/keyboard/etc all working...much to our surprise.  

Those ribbon cables and fasteners are a devil to work. 

I also need to build up the courage to lift any data/pictures off it at some point...a job for a cold, wet evening me thinks.  

Does anyone know if Techsteam works on Ubuntu? - thinking aloud...as that OS works well on this old clunky laptop, unlike Vista #urgh

• 2 weeks later...