Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H my first Lexus

Farqui

Rather than keep updating my New Members thread I figured a build thread would be a more appropriate place to keep track of my changes. Especially as Robb/Mod's went to the trouble of opening up this new section for us.

January 24th'17 - GS 450H purchased 
GS450H fr3qs no plate.jpg

GS450H re3qs no plate.jpg    

This is my first Lexus, my first hybrid and it's such a joy to drive with plenty of power and it's very slick CVT gearbox.  For a big car it goes/stops and handles surprisingly well.

The rear boot space was the only concern but with just me and mrsF it's worked out just fine and 6 months down the line we've made a couple of trips over to Belgium without any issues.

So lets have a brief recap of the initial 6 months of ownership. 

The car came with a spare key but it wasn't working, thankfully a new CR 1632 brought it back to life #phew      

January 31st - Lexus Full+100 service @Lincoln, including a Hybrid health check - was successful and warrantied for another 12 months :thumbup1: 

The Lexus health check listed these items...

• both front tyre valves leaking - the OSF definitely is, around the base of the TPMS sensor. I can't see any leaks on the NSF
  • rear brake pipe corroded - all I can see is a small rub on each side, looks like the inner arch has rubbed the pipes slightly
  • front shocks leaking from body - all four dampers are bone dry tho! - I look forward to hearing what Lexus have to say about this
  • exhaust blowing at 'Y' section - agreed, discussing this with the dealer that sold the vehicle
  • exhaust also has a slight leak from the mid section - I couldn't get underneath sufficiently today to check this   

Not the best of starts but I was prepared for some work to get an older car 'straight'.

20170202_144436.jpg

20170202_143950.jpg

February 7th new wiper blades    

Feb 11th, lowered bonnet bump stops that were preventing the bonnet from closing without a really good slam.    

Updated the OEM satnag, using http://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/ - now the local roads appear. This supplier has the UK/Belgium/etc countries all on a single disk :thumbsup: unlike other providers or OEM (over several disks) :thumbdown: I needed to disconnect the 12v Battery to get the replacement DVD to load.    

Feb 14th, dashcam fitted, a Thinkware F770 dual channel that I'd been using in my previous steed.  Hardwired into the AUX circuit via a piggy back fuse on the drivers fuse board. Earthed to the forward fuse board bolt. As the fuse board is well recessed, I've left the cover off for the moment but I may cut a slot in later and then refit the cover.
50a3921ea03d28e4eb191c7e4856b6e8.jpg

Routing the cable was quite easy and only needed the drivers side end of the dash un-clipping.  The cable was then tucked in the drivers A pillar and roof lining, up and over to the camera. Excess cable was looped up, cabled tied and tucked under the carpet well out of the way.

As the rear sun shade doesn't run parallel to the rear screen (it starts further forward in front of the 3rd brake light) I managed to fit the camera just above the 3rd brake light, higher would have given a better image but that would have interfered with the sun shade.
20170214_133138.jpg

The rear camera cable was run around the parcel shelf, up and over the rear door but I couldn't get a neat run around the top of the b-pillar.  So I dipped the cable halfway down the passenger b-pillar, popped off the lower section to loop up the excess cable (out of the way of the seat belt). The cable then went up and over the passenger door and around the top of the screen to the camera.  All neat and tidy (ignore the mirror that was just pushed out of the way to show the camera install).
20170214_133353_HDR.jpg

Test views, front
Screenshot_2017-02-14-13-36-47.png

rear
Screenshot_2017-02-14-13-35-54.png

Feb 15th, gave the headlights a quick polish to see how they'd come up.
6848ab51ea5902ad2144c473ccc32e0a.jpg

836de031d43199c1ec2bfd2b21596fae.jpg

Quite pleased how they came our after just a few mins work.

Cargo net fitted, under the parcel shelf so I still have easy access to the boot (like this sample pic)
envelope-style-trunk-cargo-net-for-lexus

Feb 17th, the car has been up on the ramps today with my trusted local mechanic who gave it the once over with me. All of the shocks are bone dry with no signs of any leaks or misting ANYWHERE. So for now I'm going to ignore the Lexus recommendation LOL

The exhaust is definitely blowing at the rear Y (see earlier pic).  We also saw that the OSR box has a few issues...
20170217_151554.jpg

20170217_151610.jpg

Pretty obvious huh.  Neither Lexus nor the last MOT flagged it.  It can't just have appeared in the last 3 weeks since I've owned it.  I despair.  The rear section is beyond repair so I bunged my indi some beer money for using him ramps. Looks like I'll be getting a new rear section made up in the not to distant future :schmoll:

Feb 19th, new mats fitted, this Luxury version fits a treat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252033676404

0b77a9ac8420b9af4d5eec735f1f7598.jpg

Gave her a good scrub
164c0b85483df53a8acc8b6a5a71baa6.jpg

Including the engine bay, no treatment applied yet
913ca3ae45d7327e756d9914a1487732.jpg

Turns out the passenger footwell has only been blowing cold, giving mrsF cold feet and making her unhappy. Before you ask...yes, we tried all options of Dual/modes/temps/etc. So after surfing for solutions I dived in to check the servos;
d77abbe687cee0679f12df027e548910.jpg

7fd339f4c983ee053fd5c85731bd4534.jpg

Drastic eh. I eventually tracked down the passenger temp control (passenger side) but with the fixing screws out, I couldn't get the servo out :( With fading light I decided to button it all back up and went for a quick test drive. What'd'ya know, the passenger footwell is now working! The only difference is that I taped up the ducting, both sides, to get a good seal from the heater core. Result.

The sceptic in me reckons it can't be that easy and that I'll be back under the dash before too long. Which is just as well as I have a few screws left over Never finish up a job in the dark!

I didn't get anywhere with the heater on Saturday afternoon, so buttoned it all back up and thought the mode control was roughly working.  Nah, on a 5am commute the other morning clear screen setting kicked in (I didn't test that earlier) and the heater did zip all except vent to the rear seats! For the entire 4hr round trip :surprise:

At lunchtime I went back to basics and figured out what lever on the heater does what. I also removed the 2 servo's/mounting plate and let them do their thing.  Once I had a grasp of ALL the settings (temp, modes) I set all levers in roughly the right setting, lined the mounting plate to the heater arms (no easy feat), restarted the vehicle and the first test failed :unsure:

I have noticed that when you turn off the ignition, the servo's sit for a while and then revert to some standby setting.  I think this has been throwing me off so I removed the servo plate, set all levers in roughly the right setting again, fired up the ignition and let the servo plate settle.  With the ignition still ON, I aligned the mounting plate to the arms for the umpteenth time and gingerly pressed a different mode button...

The first test worked and the servo's didn't bind. So I tried another mode setting and that worked.  Trying not to freak out, I carefully went through all the possible combinations and to my delight they all work :yahoo:

The passenger side footwell output is still hopeless tho :wallbash: I think I may know which control needs a slight tweak but then it may just be the way the airflows. So rather than dismantle it all again I reckon I'll buy the mrs a heated blanket/mat or fan to keep her feet warm.

To help align the 7? heater control arms to the servo plate I found one of these cheap endoscope camera's quite helpful to help see around corners http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122076843254

Oh and this time there are NO spare fixings left over :thumbup:
20170224_134103.jpg

20170224_134256.jpg

March 9th
Yesterday I had the...pleasure? of exploring Leeds city center whilst my car was left at Tony Banks for a new exhaust.  To recap the rear section had the usual split and a gaping hole in the OS muffler, so we definitely needed a new rear section.  I knew the middle section had a slight blow and when Tony removed the rear...the middle section decided to snap in two! He spent around 6 hours (elapsed) crafting both sections from stainless.  The cost of a new center section (with cats) was so tempting that I was already half tempted to get the whole lot done and then I'd never need consider the exhaust again.

I didn't want any fancy or annoying noise so chose a standard set-up and driving around town you'd struggle to tell this system from OEM.  Under hard acceleration or at dual carriageway/motorway speeds there is a slight increase in noise, which is no bad thing at OEM is really quiet.  The system should quieten down a notch once it's coked up a bit.

I didn't get back to the work shop before the car came off the ramps so I haven't had a close look at the system but from what I can see it looks dandy.

The chaps were helpful and have plenty of varied work coming through the workshop, including a steady number of Lexus.  Overall I'm impressed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend http://www.tonybanks.co.uk
20170308_132944_HDR.jpg

20170308_132922.jpg

March 17th OSR tyre flat - punctured, replaced with an Avon ZZ5, managed saved the TPMS and fitted a new valve.  OSF leaking needed which on investigation then a new TPMS sensor. 

April 2nd, cleaned/lubed rear calipers. OSR stone guard is badly corroded :wacko:

April 21st, paint correction/protection;

20170419_165356 (Large).jpg

20170420_120224 (Large).jpg

July 6th, fitted 3M tape and a roof rack before the heavens opened. It'll allow me to get back on the bike and hit some nice trails, once I source a carrier.
f125be4035bff6529eb0470526724305.jpg

Found a great heavy duty bag to store the rack, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263068408736
3ebae649af50a7bcbff83072b64d9722.jpg

If you want any more details about anything above, then check out my opening thread; 

• Like 14

Excellent write-up. I really enjoyed reading this and your car looks in great condition.

I reckon a 450h could well be my next Lexus so I'll be following this with interest. :smile:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Excellent write-up. I really enjoyed reading this and your car looks in great condition.

I reckon a 450h could well be my next Lexus so I'll be following this with interest. :smile:

Thanks John, much appreciated.  Close up the paint work ain't great in places but considering it's getting on a bit, it ain't too bad.

I've had no regrets and everyone that's ridden it, finds it a very nice place to be.  

It's also nice to be able to easily chat with folks front/back without SHOUTING, unlike many cars.

They come with lots of toys too, which is always a bonus. 

How long have you had your IS 250 F-Sport?

Yep, the quietness inside is one of the things I really appreciate about Lexus cars.

I've only had this particular car just under a year, Lee, so not looking to change for a while. It's my third Lexus in a row, having been preceded by another IS250 F-Sport, and my first taste of the brand - an IS200 LE which I kept for 4 and a bit years.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're a convert then.

I can't blame you, even MrsF is now thinking that a Lexus might be nice for her. When her beloved V-dub get too long in the tooth. I quote 'I could get used to this...lazy driving' LOL

Great build about time!

Any chance of an audio/video of the exhaust mate? I quite fancy a very very subtle exhaust setup, also if you could PM me what he charged you it would be much appreciated.

I too quite fancy the GS next however I need more boot space not less the Mrs is already talking about another money burner, think she's got a taste for them now so my bank balance is in trouble, need an estate really but I've really grown very fond of the Lexus feel and drive! I do like the idea of a bigger car such as the GS though just which they made an estate version!

Keep the updates coming, any plans for the future?

• Like 1

Hi Rob /@dougie175, thanks.

A video, crumbs that's pushing it a bit pal. Will see what I can do but don't hold your breath.

The GS isnt like a car in the regular sense, it's more of a limo! Parking spaces are challenging, especially the length.

Haha to 'money burner' aka 'ankle biter'! Brace yourself pal, brace yourself [emoji23]

Future upgrades? That's a toughie as I chose a Lexus to limit my spanner time so that I can focus on other projects. I have a long time build lurking in the garage... But never say never, right [emoji6] I do like the late grill and may get a few other jobs sorted, stay tuned.

Yeah the updated grill modernises the front end I feel its a great look, to be honest it makes the car look "more expensive" as well.

Yeah the IS is big enough for me when actually driving not sure I'd be safe anything bigger, but it would be nice to have more space inside sometimes which the GS looks like it has buckets of!

Inch or 2 lower and a nice front splitter would bring it to life even more!

• Like 1

Oddly the GS doesn't feel like a big car on the move.

Cabin space is great with plenty of room to stretch out. But as you say, the boot space isn't great. The 4th gen GS has a bigger boot tho #bonus

I think your right about the grill looking more upmarket. Finding one has been tricky but I haven't looked that hard to be honest.

The GS certainly has a 'presence', folks don't cut me up when I get the hammer down. I reckon they look in their mirror and see an eclipse bearing down on them at warp speed! LOL

1 minute ago, Farqui said:

Oddly the GS doesn't feel like a big car on the move.

Cabin space is great with plenty of room to stretch out. But as you say, the boot space isn't great. The 4th gen GS has a bigger boot tho #bonus

Yeah the 4th Gen is a perfect car for me all round apart from the price haha!

That's the worry though when a car feel small you end up taking the side out of it! Living where I do I spend quite a lot of time on country roads and big cars don't tend to do great on country roads. Never seen a 3rd Gen GS in real life but they look a good jump up in quality and comfort over the IS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farqui said:

I think your right about the grill looking more upmarket. Finding one has been tricky but I haven't looked that hard to be honest.

The GS certainly has a 'presence', folks don't cut me up when I get the hammer down. I reckon they look in their mirror and see an eclipse bearing down on them at warp speed! LOL

Yeah well worth keeping your eyes peeled mate I think its a very worthy upgrade.

Yeah I bet the GS is a chunk of a car most people wouldn't dare mess! Talking of presence despite the IS not being that bigger car it does get more respect on the road than when I drive my wife's Leon for example, people give way to you a lot more often, and let you out a lot more.

• Like 2

Back lanes aren't great but then I'm a considerate driver. Unlike many others that don't even bother lifting! Grrr

Agreed, I was impressed with the quality in an IS I test drove (years back) but the GS does seem to be a notch up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Powah, did I mention the grunt #devil

Think I need to take 1 for a test drive, it does have more power than the IS that's for sure but again it has more weight, I wouldn't personally call the IS250 a quick car by any means its not slow but its also not fast.

Hehe the more I think about the GS the more I like it, can you see the build thread now "My GS450h estate conversion" haha even I'm not that bold!

• Like 1

Maybe it's the Lexus badge that gets respect from most other road users? Our Germanic 'chums' excluded ofcourse!

An estate GS conversion! Haha, how long a wheelbase would that be! #epic

Yeah think you may be right there think they just demand road presence kind of large 4x4's used too but they are so common now think people have become used to a 4x4's presence!

Hehe yeah proper family car that would be, its such a shame Lexus don't do at least some sort of estate apart from the old IS200 I would have swapped already if they did, anywho I will stop running your build thread now sorry!

• Like 1

Yeah would be good to have a meet up, will let you know, not been venturing too far with looking after the little one at the moment!

You ever make it to any car shows each year? I don't really get too them but think there is a decent group of Lexus owners on here now would be nice to all make 1 show and meet up

I've not been down there much either, our team is smaller now so no real need.

I still get to Mattfest when I can, it's good to catch up with the lads.

Yeah it would be good to meet up with some fellow LOC members. I'm going to try and get down to the August meet at the AV8 cafe.

Good to see a GS450 getting some treatment. When it first appeared I didn't like the new shape but after owning a 430 for a little while it really grew on me. It has a presence, can look posh, can be practical but it's also a bit of a Q car because it's far quicker and more agile than its look and size might suggest. I found it to be quite a driver's car after replacing the rear shocks and fitting a decent set of Yokos.

The solution to the slightly smaller boot issue is to go for a GS430 or a GS460 :biggrin: I'm pretty sure that's why I went for the 430.:wink:

• Like 2