Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's been a while since I sold on my beautiful LS400. I think it was definitely up there in my top 3 favourite cars of all time and I've been tempted recently to get a 460 but went for a 2007 GS450h.

It's good to be back :)

For info, that all time list is (in order)

2004 Audi A8 4.0 V8 TDi bi-turbo. I absolutely loved it and have just sold it to a lucky chap here in Ireland.

2001 E39 M5 - great fun but increased my chances of dying early by a huge margin

1995 LS400 that I bought some years ago with 127k miles on it for Eur 750 :) I spilled blood and sweat on it but it was a joy to behold.

Anyway, I'm back in the Lexus camp. Picked up a nice black 450h yesterday. Bit rough around the edges with 100k miles on it but came with full dealer history and up to date Hybrid Health check. All the toys, radar cruise etc

I have to say that I took a bit of a risk because I was baffled as to how to go about inspecting the critical components on viewing. But the hybrid Battery was charging and discharging nicely and it was quiet as a mouse. Oil perfect etc.

I've spent a few hours behind the wheel and while it's no A8 or LS, I like it. I wasn't expecting perfection with that mileage and she needs a bit of work. She's slightly twitchy on the road up front. I also felt some slight tramlining, so I reckon possible rod ends. Tyres are a bit ropey too. Slight wobble at high speed - perhaps linked to rod ends and possible tracking. Nothing that worries me.

Inside and exterior need my special touch and I will post up pics after I've completed that element of the work.

Guy I bought it from put a crappy Halfords Battery in it for sale, so I'll be ordering a yellow top before winter is in (maybe before).

The only thing that annoys me and probably needs work is a pretty loud thud from the rear over bumps. Suspension seems rock solid otherwise - zero rattles or movement. It feels like a shock mount to me but I have absolutely no knowledge of the setup until I take the wheels and boot lining away. It actually sounds like something heavy is lifting off the ground and banging back down and only happens over severe bumps. 

.... any insight on the rear thud from you kind folk would be appreciated.

I think I would like to make the ride a bit firmer also - it has that floaty barge feel to it that I expected from the reviews. Feels like it could do with a suspension upgrade and bushes etc after all those miles, but as I say I don't feel anything through the chassis or noise wise, aside from that thud - and it is a thud rather than a bang or knock.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi. I plan to be on here regularly. I'm typically a good contributor and like to take pics as I work and post up as much as I can etc. I have twin 3yr old boys though, so not as free with time as I used to be ...

Hope to hear from you all :)

... for just over Eur 4k, I can't complain..... too much :)

Cheers,

Ken.

• Like 2

Hi Ken, welcome back and with a black GS 450H too eh...nice, tho I maybe a bit biased.

No clunks here, is everything nailed down in the boot?  Might sound obvious but defo worth checking as it's easy to check and might save you skinning your knuckles.

Mine is a bit twitchy at the front and as the car seems fine otherwise I aim to get the tracking checked and add a bit more toe in up front.

Regarding the ride, I quite like it but then I came from an overly stiff set-up on my last steed.  Does the Sport button firm up your dampers at all? - it may take a few sec's to kick in if you press it whilst driving.  Watch the throttle 'boost' too!

Looking forward to seeing pic's of this bargain you found...

Cheers, Lee

Cheers Lee. Good to know others (at least one) has a twitchy front end.

It's always a bit of a gamble buying used isn't it .... I just sold a dream machine and was dreading the GS might be a duff. You never really know even with years of experience buying and a good test drive. But it looks like I've lucked in again :)

I will indeed post up pics but I am a proud man, so it will not be until the DA has been dusted off and my arms are hanging off me from all the buffing. Bloody smokers car too, so have to get the steamer out and clean every square inch. Nothing I wouldn't do any. I absolutely have to clean all previous owners away with any barge I buy. Although, anyone that buys my cars are lucky enough not to have to do same...

Cheers,

Ken.

• Like 1

Ken,

Welcome back. Couple of things struck me as I read about your return purchase.

1) Engine starts using the HV Battery so the 12v one is not subject to same punishment as non-hybrid. i.e. Battery need not be the highest quality.

2) "floaty barge feel"? I had a Camry 12 or so years ago. That was a floaty barge or sofa but my 450 is not. Are your rear dampers shot? Front ones too for that matter. Dampers are an issue on 450s of this age and mileage. Perhaps this ties in with knocking noises? If the dampers are shot the sport mode will not stiffen them.

John

Yup, buying used can be a minefield, I got burned a bit with mine but surprisingly for support from the car dealer. So not all bad.

I'm used to the steering now but it does seem to need a fair bit of concentration. Will let you know if tracking sorts it.

Oh gawd, a smokers car eh.  I wish you all the very luck with that grotty job.  Hopefully it'll come up like new as the interiors seem to hold up well.

Hi Ken.

As already mentioned the 12 volt Battery is not used to start the engine, and the Optima Battery is not what it used to be, and way over priced. If you wan't a good Battery at a good price use a mobility Battery. The type used in mobility scooters. These are built to be cycled on a daily basis without problems. The thud you hear is almost certainly one or both rear shocks devoid of oil. This is very common.

One item to check is the Battery tray. The Battery is fastened to this but the tray it self is not held down well, and can flex badly. Put your hand behind the Battery and pull if it moves it can cause the thud.

John

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Spent the day on the car. 

• smells delish
  • interior up to spec
    • steam cleaned roof lining, carpets, rear shelf, boot interior and mats
    • Zymol leather cleaner on seats (magic stuff)
    • Megs APC on most other things
    • haven't done glass yet - will get Gtechniq at it tomorrow
  • paint responded nicely to a clay bar, DA tomorrow
  • aircon decontaminated (deodourised)

Shocks are dead. Took rear wheels off. Couldn't see any oil on damper but when I took the opportunity to power wash 100k miles off the assembly I saw that the water was beading on the damper shaft, so I am assuming they are long dead. Assume same for front. Not too bothered though. Expected given the mileage. Need to research a non dealer alternative replacement option. Got in as far as the traction Battery while cleaning and shocks look straight forward to do.

Car is in super condition. Previous owner seemed a bit clueless, so I am thinking it's an honest mistake re: shocks.

I have a feeling that the rear calipers are not performing 100% either but brake performance is super, so it will do for now.

Couldn't find any pics of my old LS sadly, but here are some of the new purchase and one of my recent sell.

It's crying out for some DA action which I might have a go at tomorrow. Quick #3 with a sealer. Have a techstream set up on an old XP machine which I will have a go at tomorrow too I hope.

Job done.

Thanks for the tip re: 12v Battery oldTrout & britPrius, will skip that spend then (thankfully)

Cheers all.

Ken.

DSC_0031_1.jpg

DSC_0023_1.jpg

DSC_0006_8_1.jpg

DSC_0024_1.jpg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, k1elliott said:

Thanks all.

Spent the day on the car. 

• smells delish
  • interior up to spec
    • steam cleaned roof lining, carpets, rear shelf, boot interior and mats
    • Zymol leather cleaner on seats (magic stuff)
    • Megs APC on most other things
    • haven't done glass yet - will get Gtechniq at it tomorrow
  • paint responded nicely to a clay bar, DA tomorrow
  • aircon decontaminated (deodourised)

Shocks are dead. Took rear wheels off. Couldn't see any oil on damper but when I took the opportunity to power wash 100k miles off the assembly I saw that the water was beading on the damper shaft, so I am assuming they are long dead. Assume same for front. Not too bothered though. Expected given the mileage. Need to research a non dealer alternative replacement option. Got in as far as the traction battery while cleaning and shocks look straight forward to do.

Car is in super condition. Previous owner seemed a bit clueless, so I am thinking it's an honest mistake re: shocks.

I have a feeling that the rear calipers are not performing 100% either but brake performance is super, so it will do for now.

Couldn't find any pics of my old LS sadly, but here are some of the new purchase and one of my recent sell.

It's crying out for some DA action which I might have a go at tomorrow. Quick #3 with a sealer. Have a techstream set up on an old XP machine which I will have a go at tomorrow too I hope.

Job done.

Thanks for the tip re: 12v battery oldTrout & britPrius, will skip that spend then (thankfully)

Cheers all.

Ken.

DSC_0031_1.jpg

DSC_0023_1.jpg

DSC_0006_8_1.jpg

DSC_0024_1.jpg

Unfortunately there is no other option on the shocks than OEM as they are 17 stage adjusting units. Dealer price is around £320 each, but they can be found for around £260.

The rears are not handed but the fronts are, but this is only because of the position of a bracket that clamps the cables to the speed sensor.

Coil overs could be fitted cheaper but you would loose the ride adjustment ie normal/sport modes.

John

• Like 1

Struggling with the techstream. The XP install wouldn't connect with the car but I had downloaded the SW as opposed to using SW that came with lead.

Trying again on a windows 7 machine. Just got the MVCI drivers going on it. Heading out to test after coffee....

re: shocks, I might go coilover route. TBH, I don't want to spend too much on it. About to sign a mortgage and might even have to trade down. Motor tax here in Ireland approaches 2k Eur per year for such a motor... but at the same time, I hate running with defects. 

Loading the drivers for Techstream can be a bit hit ,and miss. Remove the drivers and program. Load the drivers only. Plug in the MVCI and the computer should recognize it and load the drivers. Now load the program. Once loaded open Techstream and go to "Set up" then in the drop down box choose VIM then choose VCI.

Windows 7 32 bit will set up ok, but the 64bit version will not. It is much more complicated to load as the drivers were not made for 64 bit systems.

If you plug in the VCI before loading the drivers windows installs it's own wrong drivers, and every time you plug in the VCI it goes to these drivers.

John

• Like 2

Got it working. Can see the engine troublecodes and a few other things but the hybrid control option keeps throwing a fatal error.

I will try downgrading the SW to the one that came on the disc. It's a little fiddly to say the least !

Raining today, so can't do any paintwork.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links