Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Warranty - "reneging"?

14 hours ago, Malc said:

this is confusing me a little .........  if the potential claim is against the Lexus Main Dealer for mis-selling the warranty BUT it is being sold and pressured to be sold by Lexus itself BUT Lexus itself then sets the threshold to claim too high. then I don't see how the claim can be against the Dealer !

The row is between Lexus UK and the underwriter of their warranty surely ?

The poor customer gets shafted in the middle and that's why the Dealer is trying to protect the customer ....  against all the odds I surmise :w00t: 

Malc

The Lexus extended warranty is not actually an insurance-based/underwritten warranty, but rather a manufacturer warranty: Lexus themselves collect the money paid by customers for their warranties and pay out for any claims. 

TWG are merely the administrators of the warranty. If you don't like a decision that TWG makes then you have to deal with Toyota UK.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had some warranty work rejected on my 2007/110k GS450H.  I'm beginning to think Lexus are starting to lose their reputation.

I took the "Unlimited Mileage" warranty out in November last year thinking my car was covered for the next 2 years.  I bought a Lexus on the basis of the warranty.

2 shocks were identified as needing replacing, this was immediately rejected.  Dealer fought hard and got assessor to look at them, no surprises they declared it wear so won't pay out.  I actually had a shock replaced 8 months previously apparantly because they gave me the benefit of the doubt on that.

I'm now trying to find out where I stand as I'm beginning to think I was mis-sold the policy.  Any one could argue that most parts on my car will fail due to wear! The statement from the financial ombudsman is important:   "We generally consider that if insurers expect substantial "wear and tear" to occur within the period covered by the policy, they should not sell policies for that duration."

Most alternative warranties state at what mileage which parts are covered.  Lexus do not.  Is there anything we can do as a club to try and address this?

A shock absorber is a service part. Leaking after 6 months then there is a not fit for purpose angle or claim for a faulty part. Leaking after 110k? It will have done millions of strokes. Difficult to argue anything other than its simply worn out like a wheel bearing or clutch might.

However, the lack of clarity on what is what is not covered may be a concern.

I had planned to take out extended warranty once 3 years are up so I'm interested to see the warranty paperwork.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

The warranty T&C's can be found here:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#LexusCareExtendedWarranty

It is pretty much what is given to you when you take out the policy.

While I think it is fair enough that parts like shocks, clutches, brakes are considered wear and tear items, what isn't right is the lack of clarity on what criteria defines it as such.

What seems to be happening at the moment is the warranty company deciding on a case by case basic, with no consistency.  This shouldn't be allowed and some clearly defined parameters should be specified.  That way at least you will know if, for example, your car is over 8 years old, or has done more than 100k miles, then the shocks will not be covered, and so forth.

• Like 1

It's a tricky one. 

Im under no illusion that the shocks have worn.  However, I did expect them to be replaced under warranty (as did the dealer).

I guess I'd like some consistency. I've had rear calipers and water pump also replaced under warranty. These would have also failed due to wear (98k).  

Like other companies they need to be consistent with mileage limits on parts so buyers and dealers are fully aware of what they can expect from the warranty. 

Its fair to say the insurer would expect substantial wear on a car my age and perhaps should not have sold the policy as unlimited as long as car has <140k when taken out.

I agree with you. Although the previous pay out sets a precedent so it may be worth speaking to a legal Eagle?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

On 28/07/2017 at 4:28 PM, PCM said:

Just after some words of wisdom.

I have a Lexus warranty.

Long story short, Lexus Warranty agreed to some work on my car this week. It was then found that extra work was needed. No work yet done.

They sent an independent engineer.

Having agreed to pay the first claim - for work yet to be done - they have now changed their mind, saying my car is too old, and won't pay anything.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

To cut a long story short...

After MUCH 'work' behind the scenes by my Lexus dealer (  and the scheduled Service and MOT - passed :)   ), the Warranty company DID pay for the work. 

I take my hat off to my Lexus dealer, who did a great job and were VERY supportive.

My car is now back home.

:yahoo:

• Like 4

That's excellent news. :thumbsup:

It's good to see that Lexus dealers seem, in general, to be on the side of their customer. 

It's sad that Lexus themselves now seem to delegate all warranty claims to TWG who, in turn, appear determined to refuse as many as possible.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PCM said:

To cut a long story short...

After MUCH 'work' behind the scenes by my Lexus dealer (  and the scheduled Service and MOT - passed :)   ), the Warranty company DID pay for the work. 

I take my hat off to my Lexus dealer, who did a great job and were VERY supportive.

My car is now back home.

:yahoo:

That's a good result.  Can you please let me know who the dealer is? 

The dealer I am at a dead end is Listers and he said he would get the whole force of Listers to solve my problem (he didn't achieve it).