Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake caliper slider/retainer pins

Linas.P

Hello All,

Just wanted to check where you guys are getting you parts.

It seems there are no problem to find front caliper slider pins set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS250-2005-2015-2x-Front-brake-caliper-guide-slider-pin-kits-S7291CA-2-/332227526316?hash=item4d5a4dbeac:g:7L4AAOSwAO9ZUDwl

Though, I would argue £30 is not exactly cheap for few (non genuine) bolts... However, it is even worse for rear - I cannot find any for sale in UK (P/N: 04948-30210). The only ones I could find are either in eBay (from Latvia) or in amazon (from US), few weeks wait time and £30 for 4 pins (not even genuine)... Does anyone know the place to buy them in UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Rear-Brake-Pad-Fit-Kit-for-Lexus-GS300-GS350-IS220-IS350-04948-30210-/191933262878?epid=1579643550&hash=item2cb01d2c1e:g:6BYAAOSwXrhXmjN2

amazon US ones are actually genuine toyota and cheaper, but still few weeks wait:

https://www.amazon.com/Lexus-04948-30210-Disc-Brake-Pad/dp/B00KWDX7V4

One question on the side - what are the size of Lexus locking wheel nuts? M12x1.5? (bloody tire place hamered my ones in place so hard I will have to extract them and replace all 4  now..)

It is kind of surprising that there are no place in UK to order them online. As well I kind of like them to be delivered like ... tomorrow. I know that is bit demanding, but it wouldn't be an issue for most of other parts. Feeling a bit like ordering parts for some vintage car... "3 weeks delivery directly from US... from sole supplier in entire world".

Obviously can try dealer, but that will be like £80 for 4 metal pins worth probably £0.12 each.

@Cracksta - it is on topic... there is link for rear pins above.. but nothing in UK.

I think the sliding pins are priced reasonably, the rubbers are quite expensive, as are clips, shims, and springs. Some dealers don't always provide good advise and suggest parts aren't available when they are. Check for parts using http://www.toyodiy.com and just give dealers a part code to price/order.

Lexus Swindon will do online ordering, although it isn't 24-hour turnaround.

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk

Linas take a look here

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2008,is250,2.5l+v6,1441482,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper+guide+pin,10281

Cracksta try the same but change the year search to 2010 on the rockauto home page.

I've found Rockauto to be very good .... never been hit for import duty ....thus far anyway.

• Like 2

Thanks Colin I will try Lexus Swindow.

Rockauto - has reasonable prices I mean £5 makes sense for retainer pins... not £29, however I have no plans to import something from US and pay 4x more for shipping than the part.

@ColinBarber - as well I agree £30 is reasonable price for Genuine Toyota/Lexus part, but bit steep for no-name ones, as well they do not include shims... shims are like £80 separately.

13 minutes ago, Cracksta said:

Top man normski2!

£15 delivered, not bad.

12 working day to wait though and co2 emission per part's life time must be interesting as well. Going to check how much same parts costs from dealership in UK and let you know.

For your brakes its worth the wait for genuine parts especially the slide pins as they are problematic anyway if not maintained as they should be - putting non oem ones in will compound the problem for an already poor designed part of the car. You could introduce further issues if using non oem parts especially for these parts as they are engineered to tight tolerances.

Make sure you apply the correct rubber grease when installing them as other makes will gradually take the elasticity out of the rubber boots and also the anti rattle rubber shim.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2017 at 3:56 PM, normski2 said:

Linas take a look here

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2008,is250,2.5l+v6,1441482,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper+guide+pin,10281

Cracksta try the same but change the year search to 2010 on the rockauto home page.

I've found Rockauto to be very good .... never been hit for import duty ....thus far anyway.

Don't need the parts yet but keen to order them all....

What do I need to buy for all fronts and rears...sliding pins, etc

What do I need to buy for all fronts and rears...sliding pins, pin boot kits etc?

Going to order from RockAuto.

What is best grease to use on slider pins as well?

Thanks

9 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Will order - thanks.

Just done my wife's Toyota Corolla T Sport - new discs, pads, slider pins and wish I'd had this stuff then!

• 2 months later...
On 12/09/2017 at 9:04 PM, KenMavor said:

What do I need to buy for all fronts and rears...sliding pins, pin boot kits etc?

Going to order from RockAuto.

What is best grease to use on slider pins as well?

Thanks

Did you get much further with this? What did you order for the rears. I had my fronts done using the Frentech slider pin kit. Paid just short of £30. Mechanic said pins are basic metal, copies should be fine. The whole front brake overhaul (including brembo OE spec pads, MTEC grooved, dimpled and coated discs) is performing amazingly so far (only a few hundred miles).

29 minutes ago, LennyLexus said:

MTEC grooved, dimpled and coated discs

Sorry, to deliver bad news... or not so bad depending which way you look. I have MTEC disks as well just mine are drilled and coated... at first they were fine but now I can see they are little bit warped and on drivers side tiny cracks stats appearing. Not big deal as I do not "track" the car, but I next time I consider going back to simple disk without any "race inspired car enhancements"

10 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Sorry, to deliver bad news... or not so bad depending which way you look. I have MTEC disks as well just mine are drilled and coated... at first they were fine but now I can see they are little bit warped and on drivers side tiny cracks stats appearing. Not big deal as I do not "track" the car, but I next time I consider going back to simple disk without any "race inspired car enhancements"

That's way I avoided the drilled option. Will most likely be getting just grooved and coated for the rears as lot of the 'drum' kit of the disc is on slow and I would rather it wasn't rusty. 

• Like 1

I have used Mtec several times and always gone for dimpled and grooved with coating. Never had issues and they are quality discs. Cracks between drilled areas is pretty common and not limited to Mtec. 

For the DIYers...
For front brakes, its always good practice to replace the slider bush. they are about £2 from a dealer. Use red rubber grease or high temp silicone grease only for sliders. Moly grease for the shims if you are fitting them, look for brake pads with an anti squeal back plate if not using the original shims. You will have to reuse the pad ear clip though. When compressing the piston back, make sure the piston boot isn't damage.
For rear brakes, the fitting kit (sliders and springs) is similar price to the aftermarket so I would stick to original. The lower slider boot tends to swell or split allowing moisture in so replace if needed and grease the sliders. Regular maintenance of the rear sliders will save you buying new calipers.
Don't use copper grease anywhere near rubbers. If there is copper grease on the boots or bushes,  replace them as it will save you a set of discs/pads or worst case a caliper in the future. front boots are about £16 for a set iirc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest bigbullhead

Just got my pins replaced on all 4 wheels rears were solidly seized had to use heat but fronts came off easily,got the pin kits off eBay for 56 quid and had garage change brake fluid garage cost 225 at a good local one in Bexhill 

I had ordered my calipers to be fully rebuilt and painted by BCS with 10 years warranty ~£490 + cost of fitting. Didn't have a chance to send them off yet. I am planning to skim disks and replace pads at the same time.

Will update when it is done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just done my front slider pins on 2007 IS250.  Pads and discs are OK for time being.

All four pins were in a pretty rubbish state but the last one was seized solid.  Thought it might be a garage job but managed to get it moving round and round and eventually got it out.  Put everything back together.  Took 2 hours each side but mainly due to stuck pins.  Hopefully that's it for a few months.  Will probably need new discs and pads in about six months so will grease the pins again at the same time.

Looking to do the rear ones this week as well and probably replace pads and discs.  Not looking forward to that as think rears are more prone to seizing than fronts.

Got all hardware from Frentech direct for £58.

Wish me luck with the rears!!

51 minutes ago, KenMavor said:

Wish me luck with the rears!!

Good luck with the rears.

Wish someone would do a video of servicing the calipers. Then I might even be tempted to have a go myself :ohmy: