Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back to Lexus after a sojourn with Audi.

I was a member of LOC for many years whilst I was running my gorgeous 2004 model IS300 Sportcross.  However 18 months ago, it was time for it to go and at that time nothing in the Lexus range took my fancy, so I bought an Audi S4 Avant.  It's a great car, but perhaps just too sporty for my current needs and certainly too low and nowadays too difficult for my 91 year old father to get in and out of.  So, after a bit of looking round, I am back with Lexus, moving to a Burgundy Red RX450h which I will pick up next week.  I know it will be a different driving experience to either of the two previous cars, but I am sure that it will do the motorway and town miles which make up most of my driving these days just fine.

Definitely looking forward to being back in the fold.

So, first question (since I will need to buy 2 in the not too distant future), what tyres do you guys rate for an RX?

292.JPG

262a.jpg

rx1.jpg

rx2.jpg

• Like 4

Like it. Is your new car an Advance? The colour is fab! As for tyres - I recently went with the Goodyear Wrangler All Seasons...but the Avons were also recommended here.

I too nearly bought a S4 a few years back. it was those rather annoying Super Sport seats that most seem to have that put me off.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the RX. The Mrs runs a FSport and I use it every now and again. Although not entirely my cup of tea she loves it :)

Very much like the new car but for me  it was your lovely Sportcross. I had a 2005 IS300 Sportcross, on reflection the best car I've owned in 40 years. Not to detract from the RX, it's brilliant and just as comfortable, and a lot less juicy! 

Have heard brilliant reviews of the Michelin Cross Climate but also, the AVon ZX7, a lot cheaper. 

Enjoy the car and welcome back to the fold.

Ed

PS, where was the Sportcross photographed, looks a lot like Wester ross?

Your Sportcross looks fantastic Ian.

Your new RX looks fantastic too...had to say that...it's identical to mine :smile:.

Only had mine since March and really loving it.  It came with Dunlops on the front and Pirellis on the back.  I'll change all four before winter, so I'll watch the advice on this thread with interest.

Enjoy your new motor.

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Your RX looks brilliant; like everyone here I love the colour.  I changed to Cross Climates when the original fit Dunlops needed replacing.  Brilliant tyres, excellent grip and very quiet.  I see you're in Derbyshire.  If you're not too far from Nottingham I can recommend Extragrip they invariably beat internet prices (not by price matching that's just their usual quote) they'll supply any tyre and their advice and fitting is first class.  I've been using them and their predecessor company since 1982!  Website is http://extragriptyres.co.uk/.  I hope it's ok to provide a company's details on the forum but if not, sorry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

Very much like the new car but for me  it was your lovely Sportcross. I had a 2005 IS300 Sportcross, on reflection the best car I've owned in 40 years. Not to detract from the RX, it's brilliant and just as comfortable, and a lot less juicy! 

Yes, in many ways I regret selling the Sportcross, but old age and mileage was starting to catch up with it and it would have needed some real money spending on it to keep it reliable as the daily driver.

2 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

PS, where was the Sportcross photographed, looks a lot like Wester ross?

Correct!  family holidays were up there from when I was a wee boy in the 70s and that particular photo was taken on a trip with three generations, including my dad, my brother and my nephews in 2012.

30 minutes ago, Glover said:

Hi Ian

Your RX looks brilliant; like everyone here I love the colour.  I changed to Cross Climates when the original fit Dunlops needed replacing.  Brilliant tyres, excellent grip and very quiet.  I see you're in Derbyshire.  If you're not too far from Nottingham I can recommend Extragrip they invariably beat internet prices (not by price matching that's just their usual quote) they'll supply any tyre and their advice and fitting is first class.  I've been using them and their predecessor company since 1982!  Website is http://extragriptyres.co.uk/.  I hope it's ok to provide a company's details on the forum but if not, sorry. 

I am really pleased with the colour combination (it's the black interior and I am afraid that none of the other colours looked anything like OK to me).  I set out being very clear that the greys and silvers were not for me, so the list was white, black or the Burgundy Red.  I was very pleased to find one with the right spec, mileage and price even if I have had to travel to find it.  But I guess if you're being fussy about the details, the right car probably won't just come to you.  I can't wait until the handover next week.

It's got Dunlops on at the moment, the front two of which are pretty worn, albeit just on the limit at which the dealer isn't going to change them.  the rears are a bit better, and I must confess that I am seriously considering Cross Climates all round before the winter arrives.  The Avons, which a few people have mentioned, hadn't hit my radar so I will take a look at those too.  Thanks for the information, everyone.

It's a beautiful colour and great car and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Regarding the tyres - You'll not be disappointed with the Avons -here's the text from a previous posting I made in these forums back in November

I've just put 4 Avon ZX7s (235/55 R18 100V) on my RX300 and ordered them from http://www.tyreshopper.co.uk for £386 then used a Tyreshopper discount code to get 5% off, making it £366 and also got 3.15% cashback by going through http://www.topcashback.co.uk making the final, fully-fitted price £354. They were fitted at a local branch of National Tyres who, if I had bought the tyres directly from them, would have charged £421.

I'm VERY impressed with the tyres. They're 'A' rated for wet conditions and they certainly deserve it as the car is so sure-footed now, in both wet and dry conditions. I can highly recommend them.

And here we are, ten months and about 10,000 miles on and I still feel the same.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, steveledzep said:

It's called "Garnet Red"

Definitely called Burgundy Red (3S0) - its in the brochure

It was called Claret Mica in the states. 

Garnet red is the colour of seats found in the pre-facelift GS F-Sport

25 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Definitely called Burgundy Red (3S0) - its in the brochure

It was called Claret Mica in the states. 

Garnet red is the colour of seats found in the pre-facelift GS F-Sport

You shouldn't be so cocky !!

It's Garnet Red Mica 3S0.

I have the proper Lexus Touch Up.....and it matches my car :smile:.

DSCF0177.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

51 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

You shouldn't be so cocky !!

It's Garnet Red Mica 3S0.

I have the proper Lexus Touch Up.....and it matches my car :smile:.

DSCF0177.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

Not being cocky, just being right as Burgundy red is its official name in the UK

It's only available on the LC at present - again called burgundy red

20170804_183959.jpg

9 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

A mystery why they don't use the official name on the touch up paint ??

My touch up was sourced in the UK...clearly states Garnet Red.......and it is a perfect match :smile:

Marketing moves in mysterious ways..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

A mystery why they don't use the official name on the touch up paint ??

My touch up was sourced in the UK...clearly states Garnet Red.......and it is a perfect match :smile:

I believe it's called garnet red in some European countries and in Bahrain. 

If lexus eu have supplied it (as the colour is rare) that would explain the name.

53 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

My 2007 is red. The touch-up kit I have is Red Mica Chrystal Shine 3R1 and it is not a perfect match:sad:

John

Worth pointing out that metallic paint needs to be applied in the correct direction, otherwise it stands out as different to the rest.

22 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Worth pointing out that metallic paint needs to be applied in the correct direction, otherwise it stands out as different to the rest.

What's the correct direction?