Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Immaculate Mk1 LS400 bring broken

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182700399187

Looks to be in great condition, right down to the wheels and the toolkit. What a shame it is being broken. You'd think it would be worth more complete than selling off parts to the few remaining Mk1 owners. Great colour, too.

Edit. Actually a very rare car, as it has the TEMS air suspension which I've not seen on UK domestic market UCF10s or UCF20s. Perhaps the reason for breaking as the air struts do fail. However, an easy swap to springs and shocks. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

However, an easy swap to springs and shocks. 

It would not be an 'easy on wallet' swap thats for sure + I doubt very much other aftermarket parts would be available anywhere except maybe lexus. A later ls400 would be much cheaper long term & a whole lot less hassle.

As there is not MOT advertised a buyer might be looking at some very expensive work to get one, compared to any of LS currently on eBay, see link

http://ebay.eu/2u7XJH2

I suppose no MOT is mentioned as the car is for breaking.

Shocks and springs would be a few hundred pounds from Rockauto. So not cheap I suppose. I swapped the TEMS air shocks in my old Soarer to Supra shocks and springs and it was surprisingly easy.

Just surprised to see such a straight first generation, let alone one being broken. But I suppose it has some secrets as they all do, starting with rot.

9 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

I swapped the TEMS air shocks in my old Soarer to Supra

Yes but very few folks can do those things, any of them, so any updating, for the majority of folks, would be + garage fees, very few here can change  the cambelt, hence expensive cambelt charges for LS

Mk1 and Mk2 cambelt is non-interference if it should ever break ..  would cover at least 150k miles before that happens usually ........

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

would cover at least 150k miles before that happens usually

Ive always changed around 60k which is the recomendation & usual usage of them.....how come the MK1 & 2 are suggesting 150k, is that a lexus recomendation?

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Mk1 and Mk2 cambelt is non-interference if it should ever break ..

Its not the interference thats the problem on a breakage, the car (any) looses all power, I have a neighbour whos citreon van broke a cambelt on the m1, she's never driven again, to scared now.

when the Mk1 came out there was no recommendation at all about the cambelt change ...  it's made of a product including kevlar ........ ( indestructible usually )

Then the UK arm of Lexus decided  60k / 10 years was the recommended change all the while recommending 100k miles in the USA where there's an awful lot more Ls400s

Make of this what u will, the same car, same set-up etc and the UK market being taken for a ride I suspect !

I mentioned 150k life of the belt coz I read somewhere ages ago that no-one had heard of a Ls400 belt breaking except under test conditions at @150k miles :w00t:

Malc

• Like 1

Where does it mention the TEMS set up, I can't find anything mentioned about it.

TEMS also doesn't mean the car is on air suspension, mine has it and is on coilovers.

At £130.00 plus £20.00 shipping for a well worn driver's seat (certainly not immaculate) I wish them luck selling it.

Broadly speaking, in the  late 1980s and 1990s there were two types of Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension, excluding the hydraulic/active Soarer UZZ32 system and another similar "skyhook" style suspension that made its way into a model or two, including the 5th gen Celica, I believe. The first is the air shock based TEMS, as I had in an old Soarer, and the second is the piezoelectric TEMS which varied the stiffness of otherwise conventional shocks, which sounds like it is the one in the JDM Celsior. I wasn't aware of any sort of TEMS being offered on UK domestic market LS400s; the UK market was simply not as sophisticated as Japan. The reason I thought this UCF10 was on air was that the "hats" on top of the shocks look identical to the ones on the Soarer I am familiar with (and different to the hats on a later piezoelectric TEMS Soarer JZZ30 that I have seen.)