AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

MurrayN

New to owning a Lexus

Hello,

As the title suggests I'm new to owning a Lexus and almost by default. I've owned SUV's before (Honda) and intended reverting to younger days and a convertible, but once I tested a few, realised that comfort and a loftier driving position were for me! 

I came across a 2005 RX300 ES L, with 48k on the clock and serviced annually. Although the previous owner (2nd from new) had used this as a young children carrier, I saw past the sticky upholstery and badly stained carpets. (It didn't smell too good either) Anyway a smooth test drive and now it's mine for a very reasonable price.

I'm amazed by smoothness and the kit on these, actually more that my previous car, which was a 2013. It'll take some retraining and I suspect some daft questions to you all, before I get to grips with it all.

Just a couple for now. It only came with one key, (their little boy buried one on the beach!) and although working the casing is held together with tape. The dealer wants £150 for a new key and coding it. Any advice? And SatNat - it'll need updating. Anything I should about those on eBay? 

Thanks Murray 

Hello Murray, a big welcome to the club/forum.  Hope you enjoy your new car, I'm sure that you will.

When I change my car I too will be looking for something with a loftier driving position, also easier getting in and out, but that's an age thing for me.

Happy motoring.

• Like 1

For me too! And a driving through France thing too!

With ref to the second key situation see here ( not good news) 

so if you have been quoted £150 from a dealer, as I suspect yours should be dealer only, then 'bargain' ???

when I was shopping for my IS250 I was aware of this key pricing problem so with that in mind 'With 2 Keys' was on the 'List of requirements'.

paul m.

Noted! To be fair the price took into account the price of new keys. 

Thanks 

Time to bite the bullet and buy a new key and get it coded then perhaps :wink3:

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Time to bite the bullet and buy a new key and get it coded then perhaps :wink3:

Thank Paul, being new to a Lexus, thought I'd check the helpful advise & options of those in the know. Guess I will bite the bullet.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By djgrubber
      Hi All,
      I have an orange indicator light constantly on. It is the auto levelling warning light. I guess it tells me that there is something wrong with the autolevelling. My car has recently passed an MOT and I know that the lights are set on the correct level. 
      I assume that one of the height sensors (perhaps the one at the back of the car) is not working properly. I was wondering what is the best way to identify which sensor failed? I don't feel like changing all sensors or lamps without knowing what went wrong.
      If I connect the car to the TechStream or some OBD2 scanner would it tell me exactly which sensor failed?
      Thank you for a reply in advance.

• By Nigel_S
      I wonder if anyone can shed any light on an issue I am having with my 2005 RX300... please?
      I noticed a little while ago that, occasionally, under normal (not harsh) braking at low speed, or under normal (not harsh) acceleration from standstill, either the ABS or Traction Control would kick in.
      The ABS "effect" seemed to be coming from the off-side front and so at a recent service I asked the garage to check the ABS rings and examine whatever they could get into, on all four corners. This they did and reported that everything appeared as it should be.
      More recently, I was advised that the issue could be a dirty ABS/Speed Sensor (maybe a small piece of road dirt or debris had become lodged etc...) and that if it could be removed it might be cleaned, however, they also had a tendancy to break if not having been removed before and so the best course of action would be to buy a new one and change it completely. This I did and the work was completed just a couple of hours ago ...and I can report that it most definitely appears that the offside front was the culprit because now, pretty much every time I pull away, the Traction Control kicks in!
      The only thing that has been changed was the sensor (Part Number checked before purchase and fitment), so I can only assume with a new sensor in place the issue has become more apparent.
      So, can anyone offer me any advice as to what to do next?
      Is it worth going ahead and changing the sensor ring, just in case, or has anyone else experienced this and has a "fix" that works?
      Any help/advice/assitance would be greatly appreciated.
      Many thanks.
      Nige.
    • By lee2831
      Hi all, new to the forum and possibly new to Lexus, I am in the market for a used rx 300 as a second car and I have seen 2 candidates, a 2004se and a 2005se-L, they are similar money, the older s.e has about 25,000 miles less. I am really interested in the s.e-L for all of its toys, but I'm somewhat put off by the air suspension, as in its reliability worries me. The consensus points to it being fairly unreliable. So do I take a punt on the younger prettier one with air suspension, or the older but possibly more dependable s.e? Thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Lee.
    • By carld
      Good evening everyone,
      After just coming back from a week in devon, ive noticed some big stone chips on my bumper. Im wondering if to try and touch them up for the time being or at some stage get it repainted.
      Can anyone tell me where is the best place to get touch up paint from please.
    • By Lexus-Rx300
      Hi,
      I have a lovely Rx300 04 reg which runs pretty smooth. definitely a keeper. lastely i noticed the heat guage playing up so got it checked. the coolant was nearly empty! The mech suggested that it has a hair line sort of crack on the radiator but its not noticeable hence i never saw it. I never noticed any water pooled under the car etc on the drive way. anyway, he poured in some sort of solvent which was to fill up any hair line cracks in the radiator and that it would work fine. It worked initially and i noticed no movement for 3 4 months. Sadly, it came back and i could see the heat guage moving. got it checked from another place and they said that although its a hairline crack somewhere but its a definite replacement of radiator as the coolant levels are constantly going down and car heating up a bit (not close to the red mark). 
      So now i am looking for radiator replacement. The mechanic quoted £180 inc VAT for the radiator unit and maybe another 100 to put it in. sounds reasonable? Lexus would be 600+ i think.
      but i can see Rx300 radiator for £123.15 on adrad website. advanced radiators. Just wanted to check if they are proper dealers and that i could get it from them maybe? and will it properly fit as it says on the website.
      http://www.adrad.co.uk/prices/prices.php?id=LE314&model=RX300&make=LEXUS
      Thanks.