Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300: Racelogic Traction Control

I swear by the RLTC system fitted to my Supra as the stock system is absolute pants (and that's a pair of big Y-fronts bad!)

Has anyone fitted the RLTC to the GS300?

Does it need it?

This is a MkI I'm talking about as I gather the MkII has got TC.

Appologies if it's in the archive but I'm just started trawling through the site.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Pete, look in your Owners manual (page 113).... The LHD (European) version of the GS300 MK1 seems to have TRC, but not the UK RHD version.... why? I would bet you could just add the switch as it's all part of the ABS system......

Anyone know the answer to this?

Justin.

Justin and Pete,

You are right the MRK 1 did have traction fitted but not in the UK.

THe ones that did have it fitted had a computer behind the dashboard underneath the glovebox close to the inner wing.

This connected to a throttle motor on the engine and had a daskboard mounted switch to turn it off.

It was linked to the ABS rear wheel sensers.

Hope this helps, can supply the part numbers if needed.

Cheers

dave

Parts book does not say what make the computer is.

Thanks for the replies......

I'd love to know if it is possible to retro-fit, though I must say the GS300 has very good traction in the first place.

Now, why did Lexus leave off this feature in the UK? I have one idea.... the first generation LS400 (and I also think the GS300) catalogues all claimed that the cards had Limited Slip Diff, they did not of course, perhaps this option was deleted at the last minute? I wonder when the spec was drawn and LSD was dropped, but the TRC was not re-instated by marketing. I am assuming a technical incompatibility with the TRC and LSD at the same time.....

A couple more questions....

1. Why do the GS/LS card of this vintage only have one rear tail light per side when the US versions have two in both sections of the red lens? Type approval perhaps, but why? The US rear lighting is much better.

2. Why delete the rear side markers for the European market? Volvos have them.

3. Have you noticed that the speedometer over reads by about 9%. If you work out the circumference of the standard fit tyres in the USA the difference works out to be 9%! i.e. the US cars have correct reading speedometers... Now there is a EU type approval requirement that a Speedometer always over reads, to save re-engineering the Speedo gearing perhaps Lexus just changed the tyre size???

Who knows?

PS anyone know how to change the Celsius temp display for Fahrenheit? (I'm anti-euro and prefer things British imperial!!!)

:yes:

My initial question was related to the aftermarket fitting of a traction control system.

In my personal opinion the UK spec traction system (as fitted to the Supra, sorry to bring that up again) is bad.

It's very harsh and will apply breaking and throttle control which is way O.T.T and can leave you with sluggish response.

What I mean is you can be accelerating from a junction and get minor slip but the TC cuts in and buries your cars power into the floor, great when you want to nip into traffic and suddenly the car accelerates like a lemon.

The aftermarket RLTC was far far superior as it was completely user configurable to your own tastes and has adjustable settings. So in the wet you choose wet! and in the damp you can reduce the assistance right up to dry when you have limited assistance. Most people I know turn the stock system off, any most people who have spun their Supras had the stock TC on, so shows how good it is.

This all leads to a TC that is completely invisible to the driver.

If the UK Spec MkI GS300 does not have TC then I was asking does it have enough power to induce wheel slip?

(I'm still trying to find one I want to buy, seeing two this week)

If so I will be budgeting for the RLTC system and fitting it.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

If you are looking for a MK-1 GS-300 and not in a hurry I have a super Regent Green/Devonshire. I'm going to be selling it in a few months time for an LS-400 MK4

It's a 96/P 107K miles but the condition is of a 2 year old car, it's never had an accident, has FLSH (I mean full + all bills, even tyres, MOT's etc). I had it resprayed by Lexus 2 years ago. (cost £3.5K)

Justin.