Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ocd and main dealer servicing

floggit

Im expecting a letter soon to book the ct in for its first service. Im a pretty normal guy ( the mrs may disagree :whistling1: ) but as far as the car goes its overly looked after. Its gets cleaned inside and out properly, theres no marring to paint , swirls scratches that sort of thing. I dont kerb alloys , im overly careful to the point it causes arguments with the mrs over spaces. I dont  park next to suvs ,cars with baby seats in the car and generally try to park away from other cars and in single spaces were possible. It can be done. Most people just pull into a space and dont care. Thats not me.

handing the keys to lexus is causing me all sorts of impending issues. 

When you test drive, they walk you round their car and you agree condition. Do they do this with your car on service day? Before they take key and accept responsibility?

do they take the wheels off for service? Are they stored on floor or on proper holder if so? Also they havent been off in a year so does the technician remove bolts carefully? I.e. Not ram the gun onto the bolt chipping the paint. 

Do they use magnetic wing covers? These are known to scratch with mechanics leaning over them.

apparently these the recommended oil and an accepted cheaper oil that loses you mpg. How can i make sure i get the first approved choice? Short of buying it outside the service and supplying in car. This kinda defeats the point of paying already

after the service they complimentary wash/valet the car. Theres no way i want this. I have no idea what they use and being a dealer if somethings dropped on the floor theyd just pick it up and carry on using it. Once dropped it can pick up grit damaging paint. I will be saying no wash and leave notes on dash but have no confidence they wont do it anyway. Also have no way of knowing what products they use. All mine are ph neutral and theirs could strip my protection off.

after the service the lot at my dealer is a mare. The mechanics going to dump it in the first free space. Could be dented by anyone. While the keys are not in my possesion i cant control this.

anyone else have issues like me, or am i over thinking it. Its been on my mind since about 3months in of ownership months before its due lol

opinions, thanks...

I guess there might be some variables between dealerships, but In my experience they look after your car quite well. I've no idea about some of the finer details that occur inside the workshop. ie: how wheels are removed etc, but seat and steering wheel covers are always used and the proper fully-synth oil is what goes in the car. When I've gone to collect my car it's either been parked away from other vehicles, or driven round to the reception door for me.

I might think differently if I had owned my car since new, but it's 6 years-old with lots of imperfections so I'm not overly concerned about letting them wash it. The last time my car went in I made sure it was nice and clean beforehand so I expect they did little other than pressure wash it with plain water and apply some tyre shine.

When booking the car in, you could insist a "do not wash" note is written on the work sheet, or buy one of these and leave it hanging from the mirror.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

I guess there might be some variables between dealerships, but In my experience they look after your car quite well. I've no idea about some of the finer details that occur inside the workshop. ie: how wheels are removed etc, but seat and steering wheel covers are always used and the proper fully-synth oil is what goes in the car. When I've gone to collect my car it's either been parked away from other vehicles, or driven round to the reception door for me.

I might think differently if I had owned my car since new, but it's 6 years-old with lots of imperfections so I'm not overly concerned about letting them wash it. The last time my car went in I made sure it was nice and clean beforehand so I expect they did little other than pressure wash it with plain water and apply some tyre shine.

When booking the car in, you could insist a "do not wash" note is written on the work sheet, or buy one of these and leave it hanging from the mirror.

Perfect, just bought one of them signs!, thanks. I think im going to speak to the service desk over concerns and it anything happens ive already mentioned it. 

• Like 1

I've had mine in twice (one recall and a service) and both times the car has come out looking better than it went in. Unlike some previous dealers I've been at, Lexus Edinburgh has decent parking within the grounds and the technicians I've seen all look fairly clean so no oily footprints left in the car!

I understand your reservations about them washing it which is fine. Just ask and they will be more than happy to return the car to you without them having to clean it. I did this when mine was in as I had a waiting appointment and didn't really see the point in them rewashing what was already a pretty clean car and I didn't want any chemicals being used that might strip the wax I'd applied. Edinburgh do free washes for customers on Saturday mornings and they must be OK as when I was sat in their waiting area several regulars came in to get their car cleaned. From a squint at their paintwork when I left it looked like the washing must have been done with a bit of care as there weren't signs of gritty sponge swirls. That said I still prefer to do it myself.

• Like 2

Hopefully the whole experience will be fine, my first service at a lexus dealer. They share the facilites with the local toyota dealership as well so not sure if lexus has its own sections within the premises or wether its shared. Is this the norm across country or are lexus dealerships separate sites?

Edinburgh is separate but they are next door and under the same dealer group so I wouldn't be surprised if a few parts and tools move between. The dealership experience always comes top of the various car magazine surveys so you will be really unlucky to have an issue. Just relax and enjoy the free coffee and pastries :smile: 

• Like 1

At Edgware Rd they did a video walk round of my car at last month service,  but a simple visual check is sufficient, so just ask if they don't offer.

As others have said,  just dont let them wash it, and I'm sure they'll be happy with that. What I have noticed is that when they changed a tyre last time,  my wheel had this really hard to remove black gunk on it, so this time I said I'll sort it out myself - so their loss. 

• Like 1

Just tell the dealer not to wash the car. It's less work for them so always welcome.  I would be upfront and tell them your concerns.  I'd rather have a client tell me what they expect and I can respond to all the questions instead of having a disagreement after the work is done.  Better for everyone this way. Some dealerships are short on space and won't have the luxury of selecting parking spots.  However, they usually park the car in spaces not accessible to the public so you won't have random civvies scratching up ur bodywork. As for the parts and oils used, you can ask to see some of the bottles and packaging as semi proof.  If you are truly worried then have it tested by a third party.  I've known some people to follow the engineer round as the car is worked on and get as much info as they can.  I just settle for a video from the engineer.

• Like 1

ocd.....  well yes i think so.  It's a car and the road has others cars on it with drivers that don't care a monkeys about you and yours ............  all you do to protect your car is great and commendable BUT you just know that some silly bugger will cause your dearly beloved some harm at some stage and you won't have a clue who's done that ........  I personally wouldn't worry so much .....  it's a car !

Malc

51 minutes ago, Malc said:

ocd.....  well yes i think so.  It's a car and the road has others cars on it with drivers that don't care a monkeys about you and yours ............  all you do to protect your car is great and commendable BUT you just know that some silly bugger will cause your dearly beloved some harm at some stage and you won't have a clue who's done that ........  I personally wouldn't worry so much .....  it's a car !

Malc

I agree to a point, when i bought my Ls years ago it was in used condition and my thoughts about its use followed that pattern but owning the ct from new i do try to keep it in as new condition as possible. Im almost a year in with no door dents, thats not because other people care its because i care and chose to look after it. Yes its just a car but why cant people have things they value?. My mrs wants a high up suv type lexus next and i cant afford a new nx so if we get a 2nd hand vehicle id be a lot more relaxed with it. Probably looking forward to it lol

10 hours ago, floggit said:

Im expecting a letter soon to book the ct in for its first service. Im a pretty normal guy ( the mrs may disagree :whistling1: ) but as far as the car goes its overly looked after. Its gets cleaned inside and out properly, theres no marring to paint , swirls scratches that sort of thing. I dont kerb alloys , im overly careful to the point it causes arguments with the mrs over spaces. I dont  park next to suvs ,cars with baby seats in the car and generally try to park away from other cars and in single spaces were possible. It can be done. Most people just pull into a space and dont care. Thats not me.

handing the keys to lexus is causing me all sorts of impending issues. 

When you test drive, they walk you round their car and you agree condition. Do they do this with your car on service day? Before they take key and accept responsibility?

do they take the wheels off for service? Are they stored on floor or on proper holder if so? Also they havent been off in a year so does the technician remove bolts carefully? I.e. Not ram the gun onto the bolt chipping the paint. 

Do they use magnetic wing covers? These are known to scratch with mechanics leaning over them.

apparently these the recommended oil and an accepted cheaper oil that loses you mpg. How can i make sure i get the first approved choice? Short of buying it outside the service and supplying in car. This kinda defeats the point of paying already

after the service they complimentary wash/valet the car. Theres no way i want this. I have no idea what they use and being a dealer if somethings dropped on the floor theyd just pick it up and carry on using it. Once dropped it can pick up grit damaging paint. I will be saying no wash and leave notes on dash but have no confidence they wont do it anyway. Also have no way of knowing what products they use. All mine are ph neutral and theirs could strip my protection off.

after the service the lot at my dealer is a mare. The mechanics going to dump it in the first free space. Could be dented by anyone. While the keys are not in my possesion i cant control this.

anyone else have issues like me, or am i over thinking it. Its been on my mind since about 3months in of ownership months before its due lol

opinions, thanks...

I TRULY do not mean to insult you. It would be a strange old world if we were all the same; each to their own and all that.

However, I really do think you are overreacting to the point of maybe you should be seeing someone about it?

My dad worked in a car factory and over the years he bought two brand new cars while he was there. Admittedly not Lexus, but still brand new and a hell of a whack of money for him to lay out. We lived in a mid-terraced house with no driveway, no garage and nowhere to park his new car other than on the road. The house was on a bus route and the road had its fair share of traffic.

I asked him if he was worried that it may get hit, scratched, dented or damaged in some other way. His reply was that a car is to get you places and once you've reached your destination you never know where you'll have to leave it. He said that whatever would be, would be, and there's no point in worrying yourself silly about it - life is for living and cars are for driving; you just have to live life and hope it doesn't throw you too much crap along the way.

Again, not meaning to insult you but if you really are that worried about an inanimate lump of metal, perhaps it's not the car for you. Get a little old banger for a couple of grand so that it doesn't matter.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I TRULY do not mean to insult you. It would be a strange old world if we were all the same; each to their own and all that.

However, I really do think you are overreacting to the point of maybe you should be seeing someone about it?

My dad worked in a car factory and over the years he bought two brand new cars while he was there. Admittedly not Lexus, but still brand new and a hell of a whack of money for him to lay out. We lived in a mid-terraced house with no driveway, no garage and nowhere to park his new car other than on the road. The house was on a bus route and the road had its fair share of traffic.

I asked him if he was worried that it may get hit, scratched, dented or damaged in some other way. His reply was that a car is to get you places and once you've reached your destination you never know where you'll have to leave it. He said that whatever would be, would be, and there's no point in worrying yourself silly about it - life is for living and cars are for driving; you just have to live life and hope it doesn't throw you too much crap along the way.

Again, not meaning to insult you but if you really are that worried about an inanimate lump of metal, perhaps it's not the car for you. Get a little old banger for a couple of grand so that it doesn't matter.

Im not insulted in any way, forums are about opinions and advice. Not sure how to reply are we not all on a forum because we like our cars? If i didnt care i wouldnt be here!. I expressed concern over how my car will be treated while out of my control.  To the dealership its just another car in for service, to me its my car in for service. Are you saying anyone who buys a new car and my ct is cheap compared to what some lexus owners on here spend... shouldnt care about their cars?

1 minute ago, floggit said:

Im not insulted in any way, forums are about opinions and advice. Not sure how to reply are we not all on a forum because we like our cars? If i didnt care i wouldnt be here!. I expressed concern over how my car will be treated while out of my control.  To the dealership its just another car in for service, to me its my car in for service. Are you saying anyone who buys a new car and my ct is cheap compared to what some lexus owners on here spend... shouldnt care about their cars?

Not at all. What I'm saying could be condensed down to one word I suppose - pleasure.

Presumably, like most people, you work hard for your money and spending it on whatever you want should be an enjoyable experience. In your case, you wanted this car and it must have been a real buzz to drive it out of the showroom. It must also be a pleasure and a wonderful feeling to drive it. But all that joy and pleasure and enjoyment is being negated by your fear of parking it or leaving it anywhere.

You yourself have admitted that it's causing arguments with your wife. Your level of paranoia (for that's what it is) about a car is rather at the extreme end wouldn't you say? You need to enjoy it for what it is (a car) and stop worrying so much. If you can't stop worrying then sell the car to someone who will enjoy it and you buy something cheaper that you won't worry so much about - it might just save your marriage :biggrin:

I'm a bit the same Floggit.

My dealer does a video walk round for me to watch. In the past I've actually bought the service items including oil and told them to use it. All the rest is inspection/advise if any. I don't let them wash it because of my paint sealer on it but they do hoover it out.

It's your car do and feel exactly as you wish with it.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorcerer , I do get pleasure from driving it , this car and an Ls i used to run were the best two ive owned. Yes parking anywhere requires more consideration than someone who just sees it as a method of transport and it does frustrate the mrs when i wont park in the first spot i see and while ive mentioned this to show background into personal ownership im not here for marital or mental advice. The point of the thread was concerns over handing the keys to a dealer and the care they may or may not take while in their care. 

For me it's about basic respect of other people's property. I look after my car, it's the second most expensive thing I own. If rain or wind damages the house I fix it. If a stone hits my car while driving that's life. Someone damaging my car with their door or a shopping trolley or a careless mechanic is no different to some putting a brick through my house window or driving across my lawn. It's not about the money. It's about respect.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, floggit said:

Sorcerer , I do get pleasure from driving it , this car and an Ls i used to run were the best two ive owned. Yes parking anywhere requires more consideration than someone who just sees it as a method of transport and it does frustrate the mrs when i wont park in the first spot i see and while ive mentioned this to show background into personal ownership im not here for marital or mental advice. The point of the thread was concerns over handing the keys to a dealer and the care they may or may not take while in their care. 

Fair enough Steve. Like I said, no offence meant but I thought you were asking for a bit of mental advice in a way.

You said that the wheels haven't been off in a year and you also said "anyone else have issues like me, or am i over thinking it. Its been on my mind since about 3months in of ownership months before its due" which means that this has been worrying you for nine months or thereabouts.

My answer to your question is that yes, you are indeed overthinking it - in spades my friend.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 10:04 AM, floggit said:

Ask them what oil they will use, and make sure the invoice states the oil that was used. If you get a drop in mpg then ask them to check the oil grade. If it turns out to be different then you can get them to put it right.

The CT uses an oil that is also used for a lot of other Toyota/Lexus vehicles. They will have gallons of the stuff on-hand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep a car in nice condition. I'm sure when searching for used cars, we all hope and pray that someone like @floggit has been the previous owner. :smile:

Thankyou, ill be in touch:laugh:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep a car in nice condition. I'm sure when searching for used cars, we all hope and pray that someone like @floggit has been the previous owner. :smile:

I could not agree more. I fully understand when you have forked out a considerable sum of money (always relative to your income) then you want to keep your pride and joy as "new" as possible. I have my feet in both camps. With my LS 400 (19 years old) I am very particular where I park it. My much newer car (2009) I am not so bothered about. The problem you face is that you are taking something, quite precious to you, into a very rough environment. It is almost impossible to keep it pristine for very long. My father had the same attitude as Sorcerer's Dad - what will happen will happen - does not stop you swearing though. Pleasurable car ownership is a balancing act. To keep a car in tip top condition your only choice is to keep it garaged and only drive it at 3.00 am when the roads and car parks are empty. It can be achieved and I love to be able to buy such a car from a careful owner. 

All you can do is your best - but try not to get too anxious about putting it into a Lexus dealer - I would think their care of your car will be a great deal better than many other makes.

Just a thought for discussion:-

You could buy a cheap new car - like a Dacia Sandero - then if it was damaged in any way - you could possibly afford to trade it in for a new one - losing just a few £1,000 pounds. But hey, I would rather drive a Lexus with a few dings than a brand new Sandero. 

• Like 2

you will find the car park spaces are quite generous at lexus so you wont have any issues

leaving your car  and i am sure they will take good care of it in the service bay.

if it makes you feel more comfortable do a walk around video of your car

or ask the dealership to do a walk round inspection when you leave the car.

• Like 1

Spacewagon ,We r much on the same lines here, when i had my Ls i always looked for a large space ...but it was a big car lol. If it got a scratch it was life. I think i care a lot more about the ct because of the greater investment although i enjoy them equally ,there both lexus. I see the point sorcerer was making but think with my original post i was trying to say i know im just more particular than most with my car. Id go back in a heartbeat to an old Ls 400/430 but the mrs likes new so thats were i am at this time. I know lexus are better than most its just the handing over the keys bit i suppose but im sure the day will come and go without incident. 

Funny you say sandero, a freinds just taken delivery of one. Yes its nice at the price point but no lexus lol. She has a reverse cam at £10,000 and her partners 30k audi has beeping warnings so im sure hes jealous in certain ways... but id pick a 3k Ls over either :smile::smile::smile:

• Like 2

When I change my Grandis, I will be on the horns of a dilemma. Do I buy a low mileage expensive Lexus (because it will be a Lexus) or a higher mileage with a few more battle scars and accept the possibility of extra expense if things go wrong? I could be wrong here but I would like to bet it is an age thing. I am over 60 and am beginning to realise I am turning into my Dad! I could not quite understand (or believe) his attitude to many things, particularly technology. He could not be bothered, and to be honest I am getting that way. The LS 400 gives me everything I want (except practical space for transporting a dog). I love the ride and the power on tap, the stereo, air con, the silent engine. The rest I really think I could do without. One thing I do miss is folding mirrors. A friend bought an £8,000 Peugeot and the clutch/flywheel on the automatic (?) cost him £1300. But more than that it dented his faith in the car. Toyota / Lexus are one of the best you can buy. My mother-in-law's 1999 Corolla just past the MOT with NO advisories! However, you may even find that I end up buying a Dacia! (It WILL be secondhand!)

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links