Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, this greeted me this morning:

20170808_102001.thumb.jpg.627c3ab560fb0fa9b234f7a883f038ca.jpg20170808_102008.thumb.jpg.8da11eb7211479c90fd0360e867440e3.jpg20170808_102019.thumb.jpg.cbc1f4edcb1640cb2c6ac7ff534c3d01.jpg

Wasn't quite sure what to make of it other than the fact it was only on one side.  I then get home and see this:

20170808_111840.thumb.jpg.e9a9f8276eceb32b178d147cace95da8.jpg

Yep, that space is where my car was parked and it was indeed cement stuck to my car.

Took it to the local jet wash place and managed to get most of it off, but there are some scratches that I hope will polish out.

I wish people would take more care. :angry:

I am going to go have a word when they are about to ask them to be more careful from now on.  Also, I am going to try and avoid parking there while they are cementing.

Anyway, rant over and hopefully it is the end of it. 

Arrgggghhhh, what a shock.

The builders must have been really slapping the gobo around to get if lofted right over the wall. It probably occurred when they emptied a sloppy mix into a barrow. There's likely to be splatter all up the inside of the wall(s). Builders eh, tsk.

Be careful removing it, as you say it'll easily scratch the paintwork.

Has the clear coat got any obvious marks from where the globs have been sat overnight?

Yeah, I can appreciate it is easily done and they can't see my car over the wall, but they must have seen some splatter on their side.

It has left a few scratches after it was removed.  Like I said, hopefully they aren't too deep and can be polished out.

Yep, there seem to be one or two that have left a mark in the clear coat, but it isn't immediately obvious.

To be honest, I was very annoyed when I saw it, but as I was going around the car checking, I saw how many other marks there are on it and it reminded me that it is a 9 year old car with over 130k miles on it, so a few marks are to be expected.  Still no excuse for being careless though.

I am going to go have a word when they are about to ask them to be more careful from now on. 

why not hold them accountable for what they obviously did? I think they are responsible and will have to refund your cleaningcost?

• Like 1

I did think about it, but the problem is that I have cleaned it off now, so apart from a few marks and scratches, there is very little evidence of what caused it.  The pictures do make it obvious, but unfortunately pictures aren't the same as physical evidence.

Thanks chaps.

Well, I have just had a word with the neighbour.  Very nice and said she will pass on my number to the builder when he appears.

Perhaps he might agree to pay for a mop to try and get the scratches out.

We will see I suppose.

• Like 1

Well, it is raining and gloomy here, but I tried to get some snaps of the worst of the damage:

20170808_134845.thumb.jpg.bdad6b5c4577cb2c3b1c67a2fc34b497.jpg20170808_134901.thumb.jpg.389d9b433d9d1bfb1e8ab4d5fbbe6ee9.jpg

These are the best I could do of the scratches on the passengers door.

Above the door:

20170808_135007.thumb.jpg.56f173da2e793e4016222820df3864d2.jpg

I spoke to a valet company and they have quoted me £72 to just repair these two.

The car has many marks on the rest of it, but since I am going to try and get the builders to pay for the repairs, I can't ask them to cover the cost of the whole car.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

I spoke to a valet company and they have quoted me £72 to just repair these two.

The car has many marks on the rest of it, but since I am going to try and get the builders to pay for the repairs, I can't ask them to cover the cost of the whole car.

Depends if you want to play mr. nice or not.

You can easily ask for full amount, because no reputable detailer going to work on individual spots and leave rest of the car scratched. It doesn't really matter what was condition of the car paint before, what matters is what is needed to be done to remove the damage specifically caused by builder. That is especially true, because the whole car was splattered with concrete. If that be like as single panel e.g. bonnet - then yes you can quote for bonnet only, but now I guess it would be fair to ask for entire car. If that happens to improve overall condition of the car - lucky you.

I had similar situation in the parking lot where water dripping from the ceiling stained my car. It was 2 sports - one above passenger door staining roof, door and window and other on the bonnet, splattering windshield, bonnet and NSF front panel. I quoted valeting company for entire car, because there was no reasonable way around the sports, the quote was £195 for large car (only in UK IS250 is considered large) and then I pretended to play mr. nice with car park - stated clearly that quote is for entire car and asked them to cover 50%. What I did instead - for the compensation I bought gTechniq products and detailed the car myself.

Well, the builder called me about an hour after he got the message, and to be honest, he was so nice and apologetic, that I am only going to get him to pay for the damaged areas.

He hasn't even seen the car - or the pictures - but he happily agreed to pay for the repair, and even apologised for the hassle of getting the quote.  Is it strange that next time I need some building work done, I want him to come and do it? :smile:

Anyway, the valet guy is coming to me on Friday afternoon, so hopefully it will all be sorted then.

Although, I am tempted to ask him how much to fix a couple of other marks on the car while he is here.  The only thing stopping me is I am not sure how long I will have this car, and at this age I can't imagine it will matter that much if it has the odd scratch here and there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shahpor said:

Is it strange that next time I need some building work done, I want him to come and do it? :smile:

Maybe that is new way of advertising - "cold dropping of concrete"... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Maybe that is new way of advertising - "cold dropping of concrete"... 

Hehe, it would certainly be a novel, if potentially expensive, form of advertising. :smile:

If you wanted to be ar@ey about it .... just ask for their (builders) indemnity insurers name..... if they claim not to have any ..... ask the householder for theirs.

My guess is they'll soon stump up a couple of quid.

If DIY I'll leave to the direction of those that know.

If you were selling it tomorrow you'd talk about normal age related bumps & scratches...not concrete marks! 😢

Hope works out either way as looks in good nick even with age & milage.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Thanks Phil.

I am afraid it is one of those that looks good from afar, but gradually gets worse the nearer you get.  Don't get me wrong it is not terrible, but there are little marks all over, part of the rear bumper has been coloured with a paint pen, and all the motorway miles have firmly peppered the front with stone chips.

Well, hopefully, after Friday I will not have to mention cement marks again. :smile:

34 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I am afraid it is one of those that looks good from afar, but gradually gets worse the nearer you get. 

I heard this story somewhere.... hmmmm... oh wait it is standing in my parking space. Exactly the same, motorway destroys front bumper and bonnet... I though I will touch it up, but gave up after touching-up 10 million chips in square foot, bumper is beyond touching-up - lacquer started peeling around the edges already.... But when it is washed and waxed it looks almost new from ~3 metres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links