Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking the old girl to the mender man tomorrow. Getting a squealing from n/s/f/ brakes,also squeals when turning right for some reason. Had new pads all round last October for MOT. Must've been cheapo's. Darn it.

21 minutes ago, thatfatbloke said:

Taking the old girl to the mender man tomorrow. Getting a squealing from n/s/f/ brakes,also squeals when turning right for some reason. Had new pads all round last October for MOT. Must've been cheapo's. Darn it.

No, they are not necessarily cheapos, there are very few pads suitable for the LS400's that dont squeal like pigs at slaughter without anesthetics.......There are 2 known options, you mention 'front' I had brembo front fitted last May, along with Lexus rear (below) that came from recommendations here and my own 'indi' garage, they are fine, no noise probs at all, at the moment the Lexus Official onlinestore is selling rear pads which fit your '97 the price & link are below......make no mistake, the pads on yours are not squealing 'cause they are cheap, most non approved pads do that on the LS 400's including the expensive ones, someone on here said its because the original Lexus pads were part ceramic....not a bad idea to buy the rear lexus below just so you get em next time you wanna change rear pads.

Rear lexus pads £47.04

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LexusOfficialStore?_fsub=4702605016&_nkw=LS&_nkw=1997

3 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Had Pagid in for last 4

Its good you put that, I dont remember those ever being mentioned before, its a serious, common, problem though

I had ferrodo pads on my mark 4 and they are as close as you can get to Lexus oem - now I have pagid discs with ferrodo pads on my ls430 and they are just like the original setup

hope this helps

• Like 1

Bought 4 wheels sets of Pagid for my 2002 LS430 and they are fantastic. Good feel, bite, and silent. £55.94p (now) with online discount. The young lad who fitted them at Formula One said they were the easiest fitting he has ever done on disc pads.

10 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I had ferrodo pads on my mark 4 and they are as close as you can get to Lexus oem - now I have pagid discs with ferrodo pads on my ls430 and they are just like the original setup

hope this helps

Yes, I was using ferrodo premium & they were great pads but I needed to change pads for MOT last May & could not get the ferrodo premium anywhere for the LS 400, neither could my indi mechi, but, my indi meci had changed to brembo some time before may this year 'cause of ferrodo supply difficulties, not to reason why, so as brembo were recommended here I went for those, but as Pagid work its always worth bearing those in mind as appropriate pads.

Mintex also just make that awful, unbearable squealing noise, to name just one of most, & lexus front pads are over 70quid.

I've not had any trouble with Mintex but I change the discs at the same time.  Squeeling is either because pads are trying to get to grips with Discs that look like an LP or its because they have not been properly copper greased at the back.  I have Goodrich stainless steel covered hoses and the Brakes are absolutely excellent. When I got the Car it was lethal as the brakes seemed non-existant. I don't believe it  - to coin a phrase at the time, How it had passed an MOT still baffles me. Seriously deficient.

Brake dust is to be expected on front brakes. It proves they are doing the job effectively. Bit of a pain however, and the front wheels are the only parts I tend to wash off the dust. Rest of the car just has to wait for its Birthday.

• Like 1