Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Safety Technology

rayaans

Lexus Japan have released multiple videos of the upcoming safety technology that will be debuting in the new Lexus LS. Of course, the main up side is that all the technology will most likely come on the LS as standard whereas they cost ££££ in other manufacturers (some of this tech is also world first)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

None of which are ground breaking. Only the reverse auto-brake is something I've not seen in other cars. The rest are relatively 'old hat'

Front cross-traffic alert/braking and reverse auto brake are world firsts. No other cars come with these systems. I believe lane tracing is a new technology as well - other cars only have forward vision for the radar cruise whereas the LS will trace the movement of the car in front and watch the lines at the same time to prevent confusion around bends.

Tesla is the only car maker which has auto lane changing like the LS. 

Essentially, the LS has capability to drive itself, just cannot do so because of legislation.

IIRC the Volvo has the front cross traffic function and Audi have the Lane following assistance,  with auto steering, I found it rather curious sensation when I test drove the TTS. Both Volvo and Audi have a form of self  drive capability. Mercedes have change assist.

My experience of Lexus in car tech is that it isn't cutting edge but somewhat more driver configurable

I wonder when/if this will come to lower models. Lexus are really behind with standard active safety tech. Only the top level CT 200h can have pre-crash sensing and even then only as a £1795 option! A Vauxhall Astra that is £10k cheaper has it as standard.

On 10/08/2017 at 6:30 AM, NemesisUK said:

IIRC the Volvo has the front cross traffic function and Audi have the Lane following assistance,  with auto steering, I found it rather curious sensation when I test drove the TTS. Both Volvo and Audi have a form of self  drive capability. Mercedes have change assist.

My experience of Lexus in car tech is that it isn't cutting edge but somewhat more driver configurable

Volvo CTA is rear only. Scroll down to the bottom:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/148124/all-new-xc90-innovative-intellisafe-solutions-make-tricky-parking-and-tight-manoeuvres-easy-and-safe

The auto steering is different - my RX can steer itself between lines - thats just the Lane keep assist. The tracing is mainly for the adaptive cruise control so it doesn't get confused on corners etc

Not aware that the RX can steer itself between lanes- do you mean you can take off your hand completely.

Am only aware of lane assist - which mean you get a little steering jugger that prompts you when it detects you're steering into adjacent lanes for no reason. 

1 hour ago, Fatts said:

Not aware that the RX can steer itself between lanes- do you mean you can take off your hand completely.

Am only aware of lane assist - which mean you get a little steering jugger that prompts you when it detects you're steering into adjacent lanes for no reason. 

Yep, can take it off for a few seconds at a time - it'll keep itself in the lane but it does have an odd bouncing sensation to it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, colin79666 said:

I wonder when/if this will come to lower models. Lexus are really behind with standard active safety tech. Only the top level CT 200h can have pre-crash sensing and even then only as a £1795 option! A Vauxhall Astra that is £10k cheaper has it as standard.

Its already coming to lower models. The IS now has it as standard.

The CT will be getting the Safety System + as standard when its 2nd facelift is out later this year

On a side note - Toyota has patented a cloaking device in the US which basically makes the A-pillar transparent so no blindspots around them

Lexus Cloaking Device