Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are you aware about Passenger airbag recall on SC430?

Linas.P

I was not aware about it, but apparently in US that is already old news (since March 2016):

https://www.toyota.com/recall/takata

Toyota has initiated Safety Recalls for certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles equipped with Takata Front Passenger Airbag Inflators and one Toyota model equipped with a Takata Driver's Airbag inflator. The subject vehicles are equipped with Takata airbag inflators which utilize a propellant that may degrade over time, after experiencing long term exposure to environmental moisture and fluctuating high temperatures. In some cases, inflators may also have certain manufacturing defects that enable moisture intrusion and propellant degradation. inflator propellant degradation is accelerated in warmer climates with high absolute humidity. Propellant degradation creates excessive internal pressure when the airbag is deployed and can cause the inflator to rupture. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, striking the vehicle occupants and may result in serious injury or death.

To understand if your vehicle is currently involved in these recalls, please use the convenient Safety Recall VIN Lookup Tool. Follow the instructions for your vehicle as listed. If your vehicle does not currently indicate any open Safety Recalls, please return to this site or your dealer at least every three months to confirm the Safety Recall status for your vehicle.

Update March 2016

Toyota and Lexus passenger inflator recalls now also include 2008 model year Corolla/Corolla Matrix and 2008-2010 model year Lexus SC 430 vehicles.

• Like 1

As not an owner of SC430 I never heard of that happening and I don't see anyone discussing it on this corner of the forum either. It seems that Lexus probably managed Recall campaign much better for SC430's than they did for IS mk2's... To the date I have received 2 recall letters one in June 2016 and another one ~March 2017 and both times the dealer answer was that they have no clue when parts will be available or what needs to be done. I guess the contrary to SC430 the reason why so many mk2 owners gets aggravated by this is that limbo situation for more than a year ( I personally would have been happier not to know about it until it is weeks from happening :whistling:). On the other hand I guess it is much easier to secure shipment of parts for few 100's of SC's than it is for thousands of IS'es

I found that Toyota link works better for me. The Lexus one doesn't show my car is due for recall every other time even though it seems just branding which is different:

Toyota: 

https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?_ga=2.192445418.1977377430.1502304161-1651705302.1502304161

Lexus:

https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?lexus=true&_ga=2.10018358.209777474.1502304212-984047573.1500059168

On 8/9/2017 at 10:02 PM, Linas.P said:

As not an owner of SC430 I never heard of that happening and I don't see anyone discussing it on this corner of the forum either. It seems that Lexus probably managed Recall campaign much better for SC430's than they did for IS mk2's... To the date I have received 2 recall letters one in June 2016 and another one ~March 2017 and both times the dealer answer was that they have no clue when parts will be available or what needs to be done. I guess the contrary to SC430 the reason why so many mk2 owners gets aggravated by this is that limbo situation for more than a year ( I personally would have been happier not to know about it until it is weeks from happening :whistling:). On the other hand I guess it is much easier to secure shipment of parts for few 100's of SC's than it is for thousands of IS'es

It does seem that the SC430 has been given some priority, perhaps because there are fewer to deal with or maybe we SC owners are born racers and statistically more likely to activate the air bag.:wink: As a protest, perhaps IS owners should demand a protective suit and race helmet from Lexus until the recall work is complete. It would make the trip to the shops an event.

It may not have been discussed here before as there are other corners of the net with a greater collection of SC owners. Thanks for raising it.

• Like 1

Thanks to all, this is one of the great benefits of the forum as i was not aware of this recall.

I have called my local Lexus dealer who tells me that mine has been completed back in March before I had the car and no need to worry. I would recommend this method of checking to anyone who has is not sure if its been done or not.

• 7 months later...

Hi All, My 1999 SC430 was recalled some years ago, for a free check & subsequent replacement of the passenger air bag.

Long story short. When they disconnected the steering column, the centre part slide down into the outer tube.

You cannot get hold of it to pull it back up. Lexus told the dealer this sometimes happens to cars that have been in a crash. I had seen no evidence of a crash repair & none had been noted by the Lexus dealer. The end storey was,

You have 2 choices.

A pick up your car, which is in bits, or

Pay for a new steering column (the dealer offered to fit for free) at a cost of around £1300.
So, beware of the free repair on recalls.
My advice is if the car is old and the recall does not stop it working or passing MOTs, leave it alone, because anything else they find will cost you many pennies.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links