Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 250 Exhaust system material, mild or stainless steel ?

On 12/08/2017 at 1:23 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Everything from the resonator (including the resonator) back was replaced - the y piece pipe was not that hard as I had the old one to use as a template but must admit that was where I had the persistent exhaust leak but eventually found and welded it shut.

Picture is of the Rover box used and the finished look on the car.

IMAG1600.thumb.jpg.a23e0ea7f29afaf59e008402fb6cb044.jpg

598ef2e00bf2c_Withtipson1.thumb.jpg.23a1b89bfdffdd2066a5f1d039155e42.jpg

Superb work I really like that! Looks very in keeping and great to see someone really having a go.

I would honest say that looks better than the standard exhaust tips! Very impressed

38 minutes ago, Gramera flash said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the patent on the is250 exhaust runs out in 2017, anyone else heard this?

Yeah I had heard something along these lines, however with the market not exact being huge and it now being quite a dated car cant imagine there will be huge numbers of aftermarket exhaust manufacturers jumping to develop a system

Just one would be nice. As at the moment I'm LED to believe it's dealer only unless you want to get tailor made, And if genuine can cost thousands then aftermarket one I guess will be priced accordingly so that might be an incentive for some fabricators to take a punt and produce a pattern.

paul m.

10 hours ago, Texas said:

Just one would be nice. As at the moment I'm led to believe it's dealer only unless you want to get tailor made, And if genuine can cost thousands then aftermarket one I guess will be priced accordingly so that might be an incentive for some fabricators to take a punt and produce a pattern.

paul m.

That is exactly the problem - Lexus never released the pattern or patent to make it. So it is either EO for thousands or custom which is not guaranteed to fit... Obviously, patterns can be recreated and has been done in the past, but in UK Lexus is rare car so just to small market to bother. Quite different story in US... I guess you can buy all system in your local grocery there (exaggerating) and even one from dealers would be priced accordingly (much cheaper than here).

23 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

There's a number of mild steel "pattern" exhausts on ebay for £200<

At least for 05-08 cars. Is the exhaust actually different on later cars?

I'm sure it's the same system from 05-14 John but they did change the tips in 2010 I believe. 

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

There's a number of mild steel "pattern" exhausts on ebay for £200<

At least for 05-08 cars. Is the exhaust actually different on later cars?

You mean rear section, not entire system? As well I would guess one would need to "slightly massage" it to fit - no welding required if you lucky.

As well just to be clear - I believe the system was patented for 10 years, so anyone making and marketing them would have been up for some legal trouble, as of 2015 I believe it has expired and now these parts can be made, however Lexus has not released original patterns. That doesn't mean it cannot be fabricated to fit ... just additional bumps in the road..

10 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Just out of curiosity,  does the f-sport  share the same exhaust system as the regular 250?

It gets a bit confusing as Lexus call their accessories range F-Sport with items such as the F-Sport intake and the F-Sport exhaust, which are not actually fitted to the F-Sport as standard but accessories items available to all models.

I'm not 100% sure the F-Sport exhaust was available in the UK, I believe it is a HKS system with a F-Sport logo engraved into the tip, listening to video from the US it sounds a lovely system but does come at the usual Lexus pricing

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.4376ec1b3f491e877fa641ff56988415.JPG

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.0d61631618dec675ae9b1d0c7750235b.JPG

• Like 2