Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiring connector wires come out of the crimps

I removed my intake manifold today to change spark plugs, but realised there is a short wiring connector that is clipped into the back of the manifold near the throttle body and it basically connects to somewhere near the throttle body. It's a very short loom with 3 pins. Problem is 2 of the wires have come out of the crimps. Either it was re-crimped at somepoint or factory crimping is terrible. So now I am left with a loom with 2 wires out, I think I know where the wires connect to But does anyone know how to release the pins so that i can recrimp and re-insert them?

I've figured out how to remove the crimps. I will re-crimp it and add solder wire. Now the question is which wire goes where. I am going to go on the basis of matching the pin numbers on both end connectors. On one end all 3 wires are connected and are numbered 1 2 and 3 the other end pin 1 is connected and the colour matches pin 1 on the side that is fine, so hopefully that should mean the other 2 should match as well

Attached is a photo of the crimp that the wire came out of, as you can probably see there is still gold strands of wire left on the upper section of the crimping point. So it seems that it was over crimped or maybe when the wire was spliced it could have had a score in it leading to it snapping. I find it hard to think that this can be a connector factory crimped, I am wondering if this was crimped by Lexus dealership during a carbon buildup engine rebuild. Usually when I crimp connectors like that I also put a dab of solder wire on it. So i will try and do that and see how it goes.

crimp.jpg

So I tried to prise open the prongs that are crimped together holding a bit of the broken gold wire. Unfortunately it proved impossible the prongs are very well crimped and trying too hard was risking the actual connector snapping. So instead what I did was exposed a bit more gold wire on each cable and then pushed it through the blue rubber and soldered the wire directly on top where the prongs come together. Attached is a picture. I've done a continuity test and all seems to be working fine. 

crimps.jpg

nice repair ... if you are not 100% on the pin-outs, you can get very good drawings from the lexus support pages (cost 3 Euros/hr) ... when I was doing some work on the drivers door, I spent and hour downloading as much material as I could... gives connector pint-outs, wiring diagrams, all very useful reference

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2017 at 1:17 PM, jumbojake said:

nice repair ... if you are not 100% on the pin-outs, you can get very good drawings from the lexus support pages (cost 3 Euros/hr) ... when I was doing some work on the drivers door, I spent and hour downloading as much material as I could... gives connector pint-outs, wiring diagrams, all very useful reference

Thanks, I ended up matching up pin numbers to the other end. Don't know what exactly this connector actually controls and what effect it might have had if it was wrong.