Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

5 hours ago, Malc said:

rather too expensive ............

I did a couple of google searches, as a result I think anyone expecting to buy an LS 400 for much below a £1000, (5-10 years or so ago you could have done) is living in wonderland, heres one site there are several on a google search fo the LS400, they have gone up in price over this past 5 years + & my guess is thats because a good LS400 has got 'rarer' to almost non existant.

Below is one of several sites

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/lexus-ls400

try telling that to your insurance company when they decide to write your car off for a dented wing or door mirror !

These are fabulous cars but true value rests at the auction and insurers decisions on economic repair ......  and it just doesn't wash with them and the values are still on the floor ...  Ferraris they ain't and what's great value to us afficionados is limited to ...................  just US 

Malc

• Like 1

A man who owns an SC430 should surely be able to chivvy up a bit more than £300 for a classic LS400?

Never seen an SC430 before but must say I wouldn't mind this one.  Only fear I would have is of it being keyed as is the behaviour of the envy set.   Couldn't bear that so... I'll have to wait until I move house if I want to treat myself. Lovely looking Car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/51-Reg-Lexus-SC-430-4-3-auto-Convertible-1-OWNER-FROM-BRAND-NEW-/152651412231?hash=item238abbb307:g:1EMAAOSwutFZhagN

• Like 1

19 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

A man who owns an SC430 should surely be able to chivvy up a bit more than £300 for a classic LS400?

Never seen an SC430 before but must say I wouldn't mind this one.  Only fear I would have is of it being keyed as is the behaviour of the envy set.   Couldn't bear that so... I'll have to wait until I move house if I want to treat myself. Lovely looking Car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/51-Reg-Lexus-SC-430-4-3-auto-Convertible-1-OWNER-FROM-BRAND-NEW-/152651412231?hash=item238abbb307:g:1EMAAOSwutFZhagN

I parked up at my local dealer today and there were 2, both dark red, in for what I would assume to be maintenance 

06 and an 09 plate (was that the last year?) 06 was nice but swirled to buggery, the 09 looked supremely good

5 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

I parked up at my local dealer today and there were 2, both dark red, in for what I would assume to be maintenance 

06 and an 09 plate (was that the last year?) 06 was nice but swirled to buggery, the 09 looked supremely good

I think the last few SC430 models were made in 2010 but the latest one I've seen was an 09. 

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, dendonc said:

I did a couple of google searches, as a result I think anyone expecting to buy an LS 400 for much below a £1000, (5-10 years or so ago you could have done) is living in wonderland, heres one site there are several on a google search fo the LS400, they have gone up in price over this past 5 years + & my guess is thats because a good LS400 has got 'rarer' to almost non existant.

Below is one of several sites

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/lexus-ls400

Absolutely. When I first looked 5 years ago I was offered some lovely examples for about £1000. I bought a Soarer instead. When I looked for Mk IV LS400s earlier this year it was not an easy search finding a decent one.

Must confess never been a fan of the 430, though one of my uncles had planned to get one when he retired, but now he is retired his missus got him to buy a campervan, which no doubt is bit more comfortable for a nights kip.

All the possible issues with the roof motors would put me off as much as anything else.

The only open top for me would be Triumph Stag (but one with proper rebuild on cooling system), but this will remain a pipe dream until I had some garage to keep it in.

As to the LS400 insurance issue, I would rather have a car that if hit would be worth s*d all as far as the payout, rather than have a Beamer / Audi which may be worth more, but would have burnt a naffing great whole in wallet keeping it going.

Given I probably need to spend over £1K getting my Mk4 back into tip-top, I see  that as fine, given it only cost £2.2K four years ago, and has cost a heck of a lot less than my wifes 10 year old X-type to keep on the road. And if someone wrecks my LS I would still be quids in, but pi*sed off about not being able to find a replacement.

Hopefully after last 20 years of having no one hit a car I owned, this will remain so for a few more years.

• Like 3