Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'clicking' under braking

Hey chaps,

Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Basically, what is happening is, if I brake gently, I can hear a 'click click' sound coming from the front.  I know how difficult it can be diagnosing sounds, but that is the best way I can describe it.

It seems to be getting worse, and I now think I can also feel it through the brake pedal.

I can't be certain, but I have noticed that a hard brake will 'reset' it somewhat before it happens again.  I was sat in traffic yesterday, and it was doing it a lot during the slow stop starting.

The only thing someone has advised me so far is the pad retaining clips might need changing, but I am not sure.

So, anyone else come across something like this?

Thanks.

Abs is normally felt in the peddle when braking hard. A rat tat tat on the peddle as the brakes catch and then release.

If you think the pins are loose i would check them. Could be the pads are low and the sound is the play been caused by this. Are the calipers held in place

properly. Take front wheels off and check them also see if front discs are loose. Lexus discs are not held in by screws like others.

Thank you both.

Unfortunately, I am currently unable to work on my car due to a badly cut finger putting me in a splint :sad:  I will have to find someone who can have a look for me.

A couple of things I can tell you;  The pads are fine because I had them checked.  Lexus recently replaced both my front calipers, so hopefully it is safe to assume they are held in place properly.

I too suspected suspension joints, but I was assured by the dealer that it was all good under there.

My car is going in for its airbag recall on Wednesday, so I can ask them to have a look at it again.

Last time I was there the technician thought he heard to noise, but he could only guess that it might be the pad retaining clips, which they wanted to charge me £120 for.

I was advised to wait and see if it gets worse, so it is possible that they will be able to find something this time.

I just thought that if someone had experienced something similar, then it might give me a few pointers to ask them about.

You are right not to trust the dealer Keith, so I will ask them to double check their work this time.  If nothing comes of it, then I will investigate myself.  I have already told them I am slightly concerned because it involves the brakes.

I am surprised my airbag is getting done so soon to be honest.  Got a call out of the blue last week asking when I wanted it done.  They told me they need the car for 5-6 hours.

That will be a full safety check by lexus then, looking for faults to charge you. Going by my brother in laws Avensis took 0ne and a half hours.

I tried to get them to do mine, but as they are a toyota dealer only it was a no go. He had his done earlier in the year a 54 plate.

Well, I am not that bothered how long they take really since they are giving me a courtesy car for 2 days.

Perhaps the Avensis dash is easier to remove?  I don't envy the technicians at the dealerships that are going to have to remove all these dashboards in the coming months.

I am curious to see if they end up damaging any dashboards with the removal / refitting, and if they do if they will replace them...

I've heard the dashboards are fragile and can be easily damaged when removed

Well, got the car back today.

I have only managed a short journey so far, but all seems good.  Due to going into hospital tomorrow I am not going to get much of a chance to drive it for the next week.

As for the brakes, the dealer suggested changing the pads support plates.

I assume they are referring to these:

brake.thumb.jpg.772720097a27fbb24786cfdfd232904e.jpg

Of course, the dealer wanted too much money to do the job their, so I have found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS-IS200d-IS220d-IS250-2006-2013-FRONT-Brake-Pad-Disc-Fitting-Hardware-Kit/302416861103?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Unfortunately, due to a hand injury, I am unable to do this simple job myself, but I am sure I can find a friendly garage that can spend half an hour or so fitting them.

So, before I go ahead and order the parts, anyone have an comments on the likelihood of this solving my problem?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

You should be able to re-form the clips/support plates with pliers to restore the grip and springiness. That should be done anyway when you change pads (but of course dealers don't do it - they wait until you complain and then want their £120 or whatever).

But it might be worth getting that kit from eBay anyway if your slider boots are looking a bit shabby - new ones provide better protection for the slider pins/bolts against corrosion and seizing. Fitting them is a bit tricky - they need driving in with a socket but it can be hard to get them to go in straight. You need to take the calipers and their mounting brackets off the car to do it. (At least, that's the easiest way).

And you'd get the new pad support plates as well, which I must admit would be better than re-forming old ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PCM said:

And grease the slide pins?

I was thinking the exact same thing, until I saw the exploded diagram I wasn't sure they had them on this model or 4 piston callipers, my money is on bone dry slider pins!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

The calipers themselves are only 3-4 months old, so I would imagine the boots/pins should be in good condition, but I will of course check to make sure anyway. 

In fact, my brakes were fine until Lexus decided to change the calipers.  Since then it has had to go back to fix a squealing sound - which still occasionally happens - and now this clicking. 

• 6 years later...

HI Imran,

To be honest, it has been so long that I can't actually remember the outcome!

Having said that, the suggestions on this thread are good ones, so perhaps one of them might help?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links